Rough review

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
guitfnky

30 Nov 2019

bitley wrote:
30 Nov 2019
I certainly face various areas in Reason daily that could be improved and redesigned but it's stable as a rock and generally extremely great.

Saying Reason is "old" like that makes Zilch sense to me in an electronic music area where the (1982) TB-303 (and that kind of sound) is still as sought after as ever. Has he ever seen a violin by the way?
there’s a big difference between using vintage sounds in your hardware and plugins, and having vintage limitations in your DAW. 😂

and it’s definitely stable as a rock, and super fun to use, which is why we love it! and also why we get so grumbly that some really basic stuff is still missing.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Loque

30 Nov 2019

guitfnky wrote:
30 Nov 2019
...and it’s definitely stable as a rock, and super fun to use, which is why we love it! and also why we get so grumbly that some really basic stuff is still missing.
I think this is pretty true. Most ppl want to use it and are continiously eying the other DAWs and their features...Its like seeing everyone with a cool, new, stylish car and we need to drive a lawn mower .
DrearyMasculineDassie-max-1mb.gif
DrearyMasculineDassie-max-1mb.gif (947.09 KiB) Viewed 1841 times
Reason12, Win10

Jmax

30 Nov 2019

I think reviews like that are pretty pointless. It all comes down to what kind of music you're making. Is Reason stopping you from doing this? Because if you listen to some of the tracks by really good artists that use Reason. There is absolutely nothing stopping you from making the same. Except your own skills. Maybe it's time to look at Reason's strengths and not it's weaknesses.
We all know more fixes will come. Yes one day, we'll get that beautiful GUI, updated Sequencer, Combinator etc...
Will this improve the music you're making? doubt it.

Benedict
Competition Winner

30 Nov 2019

Have any y'all opened Harrison Mixbus and tried to do anything?

Sure it sounds great, and promises much, but can you even work out how to open a MIDI Clip? Let alone compose a whole track without it crashing?

Reason may have limits, sure any thing has less of something than something else - my Kia Rio lacks gull-wing doors common on Lamborghinis - but my Kia gets me about dandy without needing to be picked off the side of the road every week.

Reason works well. Let's celebrate what we do have and build on that. At least that is what I do daily.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

guitfnky

30 Nov 2019

Loque wrote:
30 Nov 2019
guitfnky wrote:
30 Nov 2019
...and it’s definitely stable as a rock, and super fun to use, which is why we love it! and also why we get so grumbly that some really basic stuff is still missing.
I think this is pretty true. Most ppl want to use it and are continiously eying the other DAWs and their features...Its like seeing everyone with a cool, new, stylish car and we need to drive a lawn mower .
DrearyMasculineDassie-max-1mb.gif
:lol:

reggie1979

30 Nov 2019

They need a binky and a good nap.

reggie1979

30 Nov 2019

The only thing negative is that after demoing 11, I started getting this weird intermittent crackle problem. Did a clean install (oh the joy)

guitfnky

30 Nov 2019

Benedict wrote:
30 Nov 2019
Have any y'all opened Harrison Mixbus and tried to do anything?

Sure it sounds great, and promises much, but can you even work out how to open a MIDI Clip? Let alone compose a whole track without it crashing?

Reason may have limits, sure any thing has less of something than something else - my Kia Rio lacks gull-wing doors common on Lamborghinis - but my Kia gets me about dandy without needing to be picked off the side of the road every week.

Reason works well. Let's celebrate what we do have and build on that. At least that is what I do daily.

:-)
I bought Harrison the other day. so far I’m really liking it, but I have had a couple of crashes, and it can be a little confusing, but mostly I chalk this up to the fact that I need to learn it. I put in a lot of hours in learning Reason, and it’s easy to think something else will be easy to pick up, if I’ve not really used much else in the last 10 years, but there’s always a learning curve.

as for the MIDI editing in it, it’s sort of a two-step process. first you have to make the track tall enough that it opens up the piano roll, then you have to choose the right tool to edit the notes inside (it’s something like the internal edit tool, I think). Mixbus isn’t a great experience for MIDI work though. they’ll be the first ones to tell you their main focus is on mixing, not arranging with MIDI. hopefully they build more of that functionality out soon, because it’s actually really nice to mix in. I mixed a jingle for a Reason project a friend did this weekend, and it seems really powerful.

I’ve noticed that in my other non-Reason DAWs (Mixbus, Cakewalk, Tracktion), crashes have seemed to happen mostly when using VSTS, and I know at least one of them was specifically because I was using the VST3 version. I’ve looked around a little bit on the topic and it sounds like VST3s are still sort of well-known for being less stable than their VST2 counterparts. makes sense, of course, but still not great.

I suspect that may be a big part of why Reason is as stable as it is—we don’t get to use the less stable versions of plugins. hopefully that’s not what it is, or we may be in for a rude awakening when we do get VST3 support.

I’m thinking about uninstalling my VST3 versions to see whether that makes a big difference for the other DAWs.

reggie1979

30 Nov 2019

Um, not to be Debbie Downer but crashes are NEVER user error. If it's crashing, it's shite code.

Tracktion is another with that distinction. Good product, BAD CODE thus the "poof" crashes for so many of us. We're (ir, I'm) over it.

guitfnky

01 Dec 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
30 Nov 2019
Um, not to be Debbie Downer but crashes are NEVER user error. If it's crashing, it's shite code.

Tracktion is another with that distinction. Good product, BAD CODE thus the "poof" crashes for so many of us. We're (ir, I'm) over it.
wasn’t saying it was user error. I’m just saying in my limited experience, and after some limited use of the google machine, it seems VST3s are more prone to causing issues than VST2s. of course it comes down to code. the question is, is it the VST coding or the DAW coding that’s at issue?

U-He Satin was crashing my Cakewalk sessions, after a Cakewalk update, so I reported the issue to their feedback forum, and to U-He. turns out it was only the VST3 that was doing it, and it was an error in how the U-He devs coded it. they updated the Cakewalk code to ignore such errors, but it was an issue with the plugin code, not the DAW.

I actually stopped using Tracktion because of all the crashes, but that was before I started thinking the VST3s might be part of the issue. hopefully that will help. it really is a cool DAW.

reggie1979

01 Dec 2019

Again, not to be snarky towards you, CRASHES ARE NOT USER ERROR. Period.

W/o stating directly, you've driven my point home. If you are experiencing crashing then it's not the users fault. It's the CODE.

Think about it, we all seem to be on the same page, it's semantics that is keeping us from uniting. DAW'S that crash are not "our" fault, it's theirs. I've seen too many times where people stick up for a company despite it's faults.

As an example, how many times does Reason "crash" ??? Like almost never! I think that is safe to say and it's a testament to such principals. Features smeatures, if it's unreliable, who cares? Am I right?

guitfnky

01 Dec 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
01 Dec 2019
Again, not to be snarky towards you, CRASHES ARE NOT USER ERROR. Period.

W/o stating directly, you've driven my point home. If you are experiencing crashing then it's not the users fault. It's the CODE.

Think about it, we all seem to be on the same page, it's semantics that is keeping us from uniting. DAW'S that crash are not "our" fault, it's theirs. I've seen too many times where people stick up for a company despite it's faults.

As an example, how many times does Reason "crash" ??? Like almost never! I think that is safe to say and it's a testament to such principals. Features smeatures, if it's unreliable, who cares? Am I right?
not sure why you keep bringing up users vs. “the code”. literally no one suggested that users cause programs to crash. that would be obviously absurd.

seems like you’re arguing semantics with yourself. (also not being snarky to you here.)

the point I was trying to get across is that *maybe* the fact that Reason only supports VST2 right now contributes to why it remains so stable when running (non-RE) plugins. nothing to do with user error.

reggie1979

01 Dec 2019

I'm sorry if I misunderstood, I was simply saying that if a host is crashing all the time, it's improper code, NOT user error. You seemed to suggest you are doing something wrong which seem absurd to me.

guitfnky

01 Dec 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
01 Dec 2019
I'm sorry if I misunderstood, I was simply saying that if a host is crashing all the time, it's improper code, NOT user error. You seemed to suggest you are doing something wrong which seem absurd to me.
ah, gotcha. definitely wasn’t trying to suggest it was anyone’s fault. definitely an issue with code.

• Information