Fix the BROWSER !!!

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
RandyEspoda

26 Sep 2019

Enough said ?

It's been a nightmare to use for years on end., so could you please please please fix it for us ? Pretty please ?
With a cherry on top ?

So that we can use it for search results with anything above 500 without having to pause for so long that our workflow is interrupted...

Imvho, instead of wondering about features, priority should be the things that need 'fixing' ?
Fix that browser functionality is what I would suggest.

PS: there, I fixed it. I hope the sensitive ones are happy now. :roll:
Last edited by RandyEspoda on 28 Sep 2019, edited 2 times in total.

boingy

26 Sep 2019

You are behaving like a petulant child in this and other threads. You should direct your demands at Reason Studios, not at the users of an INDEPENDENT forum.

guitfnky

26 Sep 2019

I agree the browser could use some love, but as with anything, what “needs to be fixed” is subjective, most of the time, with complex software like Reason.

for example, 99% of my use of the browser consists of typing in the name of the device I want and dragging it into the rack, and then maybe auditioning a few presets (if I’m feeling lazy). so to me, the phrase “fix the browser” has very little meaning. just like my “need” for auto-punch is probably useless for others.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

RandyEspoda

28 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
26 Sep 2019
You are behaving like a petulant child in this and other threads. You should direct your demands at Reason Studios, not at the users of an INDEPENDENT forum.
You aren't behaving any better with your condescending response here ;) , whereas I am stating facts that need not be ignored.
I state them firmly because they have been asked for so many times already. If that in some way 'offends' you then please move onto other threads.

I refrain from using foul language or insulting behavior deliberately aimed at others. Then why are your words being condescending towards mine?
Mine weren't in any way aimed at you in the first place, but at Reason Studios, so that is exactly where I am taking up my issues since I am aware of the fact that some of their members actually read the forums ;) So are you saying I cannot address Reason Studios 'openly' through this 'public' forum? :roll:

I seek no fight with no one here, so best not to needlessly look for them in my posts just because I use my words strongly.
That browser has been an issue for literally years now, and it is being 'openly' ignored, publicly and otherwise ever since it has been first addressed by other users, long ago...
What was already an issue 3 years ago, still is and has only grown worse. So yes, they 'need' to fix that quite urgently IMVHO. I am sorry you do 'not' agree. But do not fight over it please ;)

RandyEspoda

28 Sep 2019

guitfnky wrote:
26 Sep 2019
I agree the browser could use some love, but as with anything, what “needs to be fixed” is subjective, most of the time, with complex software like Reason.

for example, 99% of my use of the browser consists of typing in the name of the device I want and dragging it into the rack, and then maybe auditioning a few presets (if I’m feeling lazy). so to me, the phrase “fix the browser” has very little meaning. just like my “need” for auto-punch is probably useless for others.
Considering 'loopcloud' and similar tools these days I can understand the line of thought. HOWEVER, that browser 'is' actually broken, seeing it cannot deal with any kind of 'decent' sample library without literally hanging for long enough for one to take a shower or have breakfast in between a single search...I am not exaggerating.

True, that browser is 'less' important these days since we can use other tools, but that doesn't mean a software like that needs to have its most BASIC functionalities in order.
The browser and its functionality is among those basics, and it needs to be tip top. Despite its recently added extra 'features', it really isn't tip top at all though.

And since I've experienced a few occasions in which things like loopcloud have been inaccessible to me, forcing the built in browser to be put to use, and thus I can imagine countless situations in which any other user would have to use it for extensive searches within his sample library. I can see many head aches before me. So many users would benefit from an optimally working browser, which has been lacking for years...So I am not just thinking of myself here at all, far from it.

That is apparently not appreciated by some. The only negativity I would be 'aiming' is at Reason in its current state and those having the power to better it in the ways it needs bettering. It is never at another member, but yet that is something I've been getting here on too many occasions, usually when just dropping in now and then and stating a firm opinion against Reason. And I have said that before too. As if they're personally offended when stating something negatively about Reason such as in this occasion. So who then is the 'petulant' child I ask... ;) I guess it depends on 'perspective', but I also guess feelings here are still too easily offended, which is why I never visit too often. I tend to come on strong sometimes when addressing issues that stay unresolved, yes, but so do many others here, so man up, drop the ego and notice where a negative opinion is aimed at. If it isn't you, please just relax and take a breath. I know that CAPITALS kind of scream out at you but common, it is exactly 'because' we aren't children that we can read passed that...or that I 'thought'...

:lightbulb:

boingy

28 Sep 2019

Yeah, you are still behaving like a petulant child, issuing demands rather than requests or suggestions. RS have a feedback form. Suggestions on that form reach the devs. Just sayin'.

RandyEspoda

28 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
28 Sep 2019
Yeah, you are still behaving like a petulant child, issuing demands rather than requests or suggestions. RS have a feedback form. Suggestions on that form reach the devs. Just sayin'.
Dude, they made a sub section here just for this purpose, so give it up will you ?

Starts to feel more like harassment from your part. Again calling me something you are probably guilty of yourself...
What you do is not constructive towards other users at all. I aim my frustration at the devs yes, but you do that deliberately towards anyone who's comments you 'dislike' and that is all...You'll never see me do that, so again, who here is the child ? The one showing frustration for an issue that needs fixing, or the one actively harassing and back-riding him because of it ? Think long and hard dude...

But no worries mate, you've reminded me why I hardly ever visit this place..
You just carry on bullying away anyone you see fit, you grown up self-aware and respectful person you ;)

I'm out ;)
Last edited by RandyEspoda on 28 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.

guitfnky

28 Sep 2019

not sure where this “petulant child” thing came from. it seems like a pretty typical request discussion thread to me. doesn’t seem unreasonably negative, unless you consider USING ALL CAPS to be unreasonably negative, for some reason.

RandyEspoda

28 Sep 2019

guitfnky wrote:
28 Sep 2019
not sure where this “petulant child” thing came from. it seems like a pretty typical request discussion thread to me. doesn’t seem unreasonably negative, unless you consider USING ALL CAPS to be unreasonably negative, for some reason.
THANK YOU. Genuinely, I appreciate that. Finally someone with a mature mind.

Cheers.

PS: I fixed the OP for the long-toed creatures roaming this place. Hope that is alright though... :thumbs_up:

guitfnky

28 Sep 2019

RandyEspoda wrote:
28 Sep 2019
guitfnky wrote:
28 Sep 2019
THANK YOU. Genuinely, I appreciate that. Finally someone with a mature mind.

Cheers.

PS: I fixed the OP for the long-toed creatures roaming this place. Hope that is alright though... :thumbs_up:
👍🏼 I try to be reasonable. occasionally, I’m even successful. 😆

DougalDarkly

28 Sep 2019

Deleted
Last edited by DougalDarkly on 09 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

way2cool

28 Sep 2019

What is happen

diminished
Competition Winner

28 Sep 2019

We could still turn this thread around into a browser discussion thread. From the tip of my tongue there are 6 or more features / design oversights which are blatantly obvious missing or nice to have.
If I dig around in some old threads there'll be even more..
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

boingy

28 Sep 2019

Yep, I'm all for getting the thread back on topic.

The Reason browser has not really kept up with the huge growth in instruments and refills. Back in the day it was just about OK but now we have dozens of REs and hundreds of refills and patches. Imagine if you could get the browser to scan all your refills and patches and present them in sortable and filterable categories with editable tags, attributes, genre, whatever.

Like this:
br1.png
br1.png (29.17 KiB) Viewed 6126 times
or this:
br2.png
br2.png (46.71 KiB) Viewed 6126 times

Now go one step further and imagine an online repository where we could share patches and also share tags for refills we own. That would be nice, wouldn't it?

gullum

28 Sep 2019

I love the way in finder of Mac OSx maybe is same in windows where you start typing and narrows down as you type along so you might actual have the answer before you are finished to type the search word.
now when you search a reset and type it wrong (vocl) you need to wait for the search to finish going through everything to not find the patch because you typed it wrong in the first place and need to do a new search on Vocal
there are obviously other things that can be improved

DougalDarkly

28 Sep 2019

Deleted
Last edited by DougalDarkly on 09 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

diminished
Competition Winner

28 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
28 Sep 2019
*stuff I agree with*
Yessir. All of that.

Autocomplete search terms, search and filter while typing..

Right now, you have to know what you're looking for and where it's at.

Before that, let's take a step back and hope that one day, the search for missing sounds will be abortable, doesn't crawl through ALL folders in your list and maybe remebers what file types are in which folder. If I'm looking for something from a Refill, it doesn't have to go through folders that include only wav files.

Allow global search for stuff - even when I'm currently in the instruments section, typing in reverb should list the reverbs.

Let all REs be sortable by name, type, developer, times used.

Nobody can tell me that the guys from Reason Studios product support don't have these features. How else would they handle the amount of VST and RE to test and debug???

The browser is where I WASTE the most time in Reason. Time I could spend making music.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

chaosroyale

03 Oct 2019

From a UI perspective, pleeeeease can Reason Studios detach the browser from the Rack permanently. Just make it a pop-up window that you can open with F3 from anywhere.

The current browser tabs just waste space, abut more importantly the Browser ruins the Rack window. Right now, if you want to be able to use the rack and the browser you have to keep them both open at a wide size. If you size the window to fit the rack, then you cannot use the browser effectively. Or if you close the browser, the rack window just has a huge blank empty space. It is honestly one of the worst UIs I have ever seen. (how did the company that made the clear and simple Combinator, Kong, Europa and Complex also make this browser abomination??)

Proboscis

03 Oct 2019

I try not to get bogged down in the 'why don't Propellerheads do this or that' drama, but regarding the browser.... I'm still shaking my head as to why they changed the browser in the first place, from the system explorer style pre Reason 8 (I think). We can no longer easily browse patches from within a device without it losing focus, which means more mouse actions. This was totally a backwards step. And it impedes the view of two rack units side by side. I think the browser revamp was around the same time as they released the completely idiotic current transport bar that is in the latest versions (a tempo tap button the size of an ant, greyscale meters, those dumb looking indents). Do these product design managers even use Reason ? It seems like a whole lot of half assed ideas go into production, then get abandoned in favor of some other half assed implementation.

Change for the sake of change is not innovative. It's stupid.

Oquasec

03 Oct 2019

tbh the only thing in reason browser that sucks is the searchbar not being half as fast as other daws.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Wobbleburger

28 Nov 2019

I'm considering switching to Reaper mostly due to the fact that the browser on the rack really screws up my setup. I always have to collapse it and then it resets. Why would I need a browser on two windows? Reaper is awesome and I haven't purchased Reason 11 yet. It may not seem like a huge deal but dealing with it every day slows me down and frustrates me.
Why not a floating browser or an independent window (if you want it that way). If you want to attach it, do it. But... fuck this browser on both windows thing. Sorry, after several years of using Reason, it has really taken a toll on me. At least Reason 11 has some neat new features.

But you can't put a fancy hat or makeup on a crippled horse and expect it to win races. It needs working legs first. I dunno, did that make any sense?
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

diminished
Competition Winner

28 Nov 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
28 Nov 2019
I'm considering switching to Reaper mostly due to the fact that the browser on the rack really screws up my setup. I always have to collapse it and then it resets. Why would I need a browser on two windows? Reaper is awesome and I haven't purchased Reason 11 yet. It may not seem like a huge deal but dealing with it every day slows me down and frustrates me.
Why not a floating browser or an independent window (if you want it that way). If you want to attach it, do it. But... fuck this browser on both windows thing. Sorry, after several years of using Reason, it has really taken a toll on me. At least Reason 11 has some neat new features.

But you can't put a fancy hat or makeup on a crippled horse and expect it to win races. It needs working legs first. I dunno, did that make any sense?
Makes total sense.
#browserhategang

avasopht
Competition Winner

28 Nov 2019

Yeah, search speed is atrociously slow.

It's a weird one not to have been fixed yet.

They made improvements a few years ago, but I still find it much quicker to search for files myself.
Last edited by avasopht on 29 Nov 2019, edited 1 time in total.

jam-s

28 Nov 2019

To fix the browser it should be replaced with an extended version of something like loopcloud.

• Information