Negate rack extension - Question

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
SpeculationStudios

27 Nov 2019

Hello.

This is in reference to the Negate rack extension by Tonicmint.
The description says it can produce "negative melodies" but I wanted to make sure that means the same thing that it does in music theory as I would think it would be tricky for a player device to do that. But maybe I'm wrong.

What I'm talking about is also called "chromatic inversion" of a melody.
The video by this guitar instructor explains it much better than I could.

Basically, you are reversing the direction of the Interval steps between notes. Up 3 half steps becomes down 3 half steps, followed by down a half step instead of up a half step.

I would think the device would need to know to keep the first note unchanged and then "see" the length and direction of the intervals following that note in order to alter them properly.

Thanks.

littlejam

27 Nov 2019

heyhey,

kinda off topic
but it sounds like negative space / black space in printed artwork
like those images where you can see 2 images depending on how a person's brain perceives things
interesting topic

you draw something by drawing what it is not

jcheers
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Nov 2019

I can't really answer your question.
But I trialed Negate briefly because I thought it was an interesting concept at least.
I tried feeding it a couple of my melodies but all I got back was a mess. Maybe I was using it wrong, or it needed to be coupled with some other note/scale Player device or something.
Anyway I'm not really a fan of Players. I figured if I have to put in work to make this RE sound good then i might as well put in the work to write a new melody from scratch. It was worth a shot though.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

27 Nov 2019

SpeculationStudios wrote:
27 Nov 2019
I would think it would be tricky for a player device to do that.
Nah, this wouldn't be too hard. Polyphonics wouldn't be too elegant though, in this situation. Perhaps a mono-CV through device would be more elegant than a Player here.

I'll think about whether I want to do it or not :)

Meanwhile, Negate is a great device but it's not doing what you are thinking of here. The Rachmaninoff trick is quite different.

Cheers,
Brian

SpeculationStudios

27 Nov 2019

Perhaps a mono-CV through device would be more elegant than a Player here.

I'll be interested if you do. While figuring out "negative melodies" is not that difficult, it would be cool to have a device that could quickly do it to any number of midi melodies I already have and see what results.

Thanks.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

28 Nov 2019

SpeculationStudios wrote:
27 Nov 2019
Perhaps a mono-CV through device would be more elegant than a Player here.

I'll be interested if you do. While figuring out "negative melodies" is not that difficult, it would be cool to have a device that could quickly do it to any number of midi melodies I already have and see what results.

Thanks.
Well, here's the thing. You could get "a" negative melody out of Negate if you use the mirror modes, and if realtime isn't needed you can do it in the sequencer too, of course. So, is it only the Rachmaninoff version of this which is of value? I can only speak mathematically here btw, I'm not an expert on classical theory by any means.

• Information