Audio interface suggestions?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
fullforce

26 Nov 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
10 Nov 2019
Budget, smudgent. Get some extra bucks and find a way to an RME babyface pro. Scary money, FANTASTIC unit. Had mine for years now. Why worry about your soundcard? Get those squeegee bucks going and do it!
Had my Focusrite PRO14 for years and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

reggie1979

26 Nov 2019

fullforce wrote:
26 Nov 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
10 Nov 2019
Budget, smudgent. Get some extra bucks and find a way to an RME babyface pro. Scary money, FANTASTIC unit. Had mine for years now. Why worry about your soundcard? Get those squeegee bucks going and do it!
Had my Focusrite PRO14 for years and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg.
So? I had one of those, the driver latency is about half and it's a better sounding unit.

EnochLight

26 Nov 2019

MOTU just introduced the M2 audio interface that's USB-C, it's built solid, has super low latency drivers, has audio loopback included, and separate 48v phantom power switches for each XLR input. Only $169 USD, which is pretty damn affordable IMHO.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -interface

It's getting solid reviews.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jlgrimes

26 Nov 2019

dezma wrote:
04 Nov 2019
Hi,

I'm looking for a new audio interface. I mostly work with synths with very occasional recording. 2x 48v inputs are enough, 4 is plenty.

I like the layout and connectivity of my current audio interface, the fast track C600 but the hardware is getting my system to crash more and more so no more M-audio crap for me with their retarded let's end driver support after a few years policy. I expect this will have something to do with avid selling m-audio, yet it's still an extremely retarded move from inmusic to have such a limited support period for their "inherited" products for windows users.

A dedicated volume and headphone volume knob and rock solid low latency windows 10 asio drivers are a must, midi in/out is welcome but can be solved with a cheap midi to usb cable.
I work with headphones a lot so, I'd like to have a decent headphone output level, without preamp. While I liked the connectivity and dedicated buttons on the C600, I didn't like the cheap plastic look and feel, so something more solid would definately be a plus.

I have 1 pair of speakers (KRK)

Looking for something around a 250€ budget, can be stretched in the case of substantial quality differences.. Not sure if premium brands like Apogee and RME make that much of a difference as far as audio playback and low latency goes?

Studio one is my main DAW since a few months now

Things I've been looking at:

zoom UAC2
focusrite scarlett
Audient iD14 (no midi)
Komplete audio 6 mkII
Presonus interfaces

Please share your experiences.
Scarletts are pretty nice.

RME would get you more transparent conversion quality and lower latency performance, but depending on your setup you might not even tell the difference as even inexpensive interfaces are almost near transparent quality. RME is one of the few companies that design their own USB chips from what I hear. That said I haven't had much issues with my Scarlett as they have decent low latency performance at least for me to play synths in live shows and can track vocals at 64 samples buffer settings if needed at under 10 ms of roundtrip latency (which usually is unnoticeable to me).

RMEs are alot more money though.

Focusrite claretts are a step up in quality to the scarletts and probably reaches the limits of a transparent interface. The Scarlett Gen 3s are pretty good though.

reggie1979

26 Nov 2019

But again, do you want something that WORKS or to save money? Others are find and we can debate (and will) to death, but if you want the best drivers and the best interface, RME, is a terrific bet.

I've had them all, I know. Or, simply ignore that and test for yourself. Doesn't matter to me, but please don't dishonor me like I don't know :( I've had many of these interfaces and know.

grueser3

27 Nov 2019

I have the Audient ID14 and it performs well. I chose that on the recommendation of the company who built my computer and my sales guy at Sweetwater, whom I trust. In fact I didn’t mention the Audient to either one of them, I was looking at others but when both suggested it, well that’s all I needed.

dezma

27 Nov 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
26 Nov 2019
dezma wrote:
26 Nov 2019
Scarlett 8i6 has the lead for the final decision, mainly because NI's asio drivers don't seem to work and also important:
The NI ASIO drivers have been corrected, just to make sure I also updated my post to reflect on this.

I'm not sure exactly what happened but this week I downloaded the firmware updater and the latest MkII drivers and everything fell into place. The best part is that by using a dedicated audio card and ditto driver you're also reducing any latency issues some more (Asio4All has the potential to use multiple audio interfaces at once, but that comes at a price).
Thanks for the update.
Can you comment on the headphone output? What impedance are you using, and can you play it loud enough?

fullforce

27 Nov 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
26 Nov 2019
But again, do you want something that WORKS or to save money? Others are find and we can debate (and will) to death, but if you want the best drivers and the best interface, RME, is a terrific bet.

I've had them all, I know. Or, simply ignore that and test for yourself. Doesn't matter to me, but please don't dishonor me like I don't know :( I've had many of these interfaces and know.
How is this exactly a bet? And why aren't you buying something even more expensive? MOAR!1oneone
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

reggie1979

27 Nov 2019

I'd have to use a car analogy and apparently that isn't kosher here :lol:

reggie1979

27 Nov 2019

Actually, it looks like I'm being trolled. Click.

• Information