No sale price on upgrades?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
gullum

24 Nov 2019

everycomplainerever wrote: ↑ every day, 2001 - 2019 24-7

Why you wasting resources on things we (I) don't need
Why you doing it that way
why you not add this or that
why no coffee maker yet it is in every home now since like forever
I should get this in a free update
now what is this, this version I've been complaining for 2 months now and telling you what a shitty job you have been doing the last year, and the update is not on sale
Last edited by gullum on 24 Nov 2019, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2019

gullum wrote:
24 Nov 2019
everycomplainer wrote: ↑every day, 2001 - 2019 27-7

Why you wasting resorses on thingswe (I) don't need
why no coffee make yet it is in every home now since like forever
now what is this, this version I've been complaining for 2 months now and telling you what a shitty job you have been doing the last year, and the update is not on sale
All very good questions.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

littlejam

24 Nov 2019

hello,

i have reason 9 and 10 installed at the same time
both versions work
there are a lot of 'error RE not available' screens when loading up reason 9
but, again, both versions work on the same computer (windows 7)

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

jam-s

24 Nov 2019

gullum wrote:
24 Nov 2019
everycomplainerever wrote: ↑ every day, 2001 - 2019 24-7

Why you wasting resources on things we (I) don't need
why no coffee maker yet it is in every home now since like forever
You forgot the most essential one:

When will Reason include a beer cooler and sandwich maker?!

ab459

24 Nov 2019

Buy full Reason 11 >from scratch< almost the same by price as upgrade to Suite for existing users of full R10, that fun. :thumbs_up:

Le Boeuf

25 Nov 2019

Isnt 129 euro for excisting rn users a good upgrade Price?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2019

Le Boeuf wrote:
25 Nov 2019
Maybe if you're going from Reason 5. Not if you're going from Reason 10. (my opinion)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Le Boeuf

25 Nov 2019

MrFigg wrote:
25 Nov 2019
Le Boeuf wrote:
25 Nov 2019
Maybe if you're going from Reason 5. Not if you're going from Reason 10. (my opinion)
Naah i was also a little sarcastic.
Im on r10

And im never gonna use r11 as a vst in another host, so im gonna pass until next release. Cause r11 brings nothing New to The DAW itself.

dezma

25 Nov 2019

You get a whopping 20% discount on their overpriced players.

diminished
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2019

dezma wrote:
25 Nov 2019
And you can't even use them on other VSTs in or with the Rack Plugin. :thumbs_up:
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

reddust

25 Nov 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
22 Nov 2019
For me, personally, I find Reason to be the only one that does it for me. Studio one is a fantastic piece of gear and I like it but something about the package and my nektar (I've had mine for years) and the babyface pro that just all adds up.

I even had an Atom and Faderport (though in hindsight I should have gotten the Faderport 8 ) but I never made music. I just felt lost with it. Kinda the same thing with Cubase. Good program, never really made any music with it.

Reason simply does everything I need in a nice stable box. It's intuitive and I feel more like making music with it. Yeah, I think it's missing a lot but I find workarounds like that and I've gotten to where it's just silly for someone like me to be host hoping :lol:
I would actually want to stay with Reason too, but this last update and the moves the company is doing are pushing me away a little. All I need from Reason is to be up to date on the way people make music these days. Not being able to use midi polyphonic instruments like ROLI's Seaboard or Touche SE is quite frustrating, same as not being able to use a single instance of Kontakt with several instruments loaded on it and routed through different midi channels, or no NKI support either... I think those aren't just individual wishes but things most DAWs these days have and that's why in many companies you don't see Reason in the list of compatible DAWs, which I find quite sad for a DAW with some years of history.

Reason Studio's last move sounds to me as if they don't want to make any effort to improve these features and just tell us customers to go use another DAW and load the Reason Rack there if we need those features. That's already bad enough for me because if that's the plan then I can directly move to another DAW and completely prescind of Reason or maybe just load the plugin rack into my new DAW if I want to use Parsec or Resonans or whatever... but what that would mean is that Reason for me stopped being a DAW and transformed into a plugin, and I find 129 Euros quite expensive for a plugin update ;)

But you're right, I really like Reason's inspiring workflow and that's why I want to keep using Reason as my main DAW instead of moving to another. I hope the next updates go in this direction.
Boombastix wrote:
23 Nov 2019
If you plan to do vocal work consider Cubase Pro. Studio One pretty much needs you to buy Vocalign and Melodyne, something Cubase has built in with its Vocalign. So better integration, and no additional cost. Vocalign and Melodyne is probably another $300 or so. Variaudio uses zPlane algo's, nuff said...
Yes, I'm planning to do vocal work. My current plan is to get one of the Crypton voice banks which include Piapro Studio and a version of Studio One Artist, that should be enough for my vocal work and I would only need to upgrade to a more professional version of Studio One if I decide to definitely move to that DAW. I guess in that case I won't need Vocalign and Melodyne, am I right?

ab459

25 Nov 2019

diminished wrote:
25 Nov 2019
dezma wrote:
25 Nov 2019
And you can't even use them on other VSTs in or with the Rack Plugin. :thumbs_up:
I would say - this (midi out), and if PX7 FM would added to suite, theoretically could forced me to pay upgrade without discount. That would be a significant advantage. But i absolutely do not need umpf's as well other sampled stuff like bass drums etc.
It’s good to calculate the sum of all incoming plugins when you need everything from this. Otherwise this is not an argument.

ltbrunt00

25 Nov 2019

I was sure that there was going to be a discount on the suite upgrade. Guess I was wrong.
S1 is great but I without a doubt prefer Reason. The SSL Mixer layout in Reason has me hooked.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

ab459

25 Nov 2019

ab459 wrote:
25 Nov 2019
diminished wrote:
25 Nov 2019

I would say - this (midi out), and if PX7 FM would added to suite, theoretically could forced me to pay upgrade without discount. That would be a significant advantage. But i absolutely do not need umpf's as well other sampled stuff like bass drums etc.
It’s good to calculate the sum of all incoming plugins when you need everything from this. Otherwise this is not an argument.
Although, to be honest, i know that i will pay full suite upg price anyway lol (even if discount will not occurs, somewhen), because i really want rack as plugin, and need Parsec and some other magical things, no matter - but main question - when i decide to do it ? And instead such hypothetical plans (months, years ?), authors could get my money immediately if they had a discount. So what's the point.

Kaydigi

25 Nov 2019

This blows, how is there not an upgrade sale option for Reason 11 users to the suite upgrade? I've tweeted Reason Studios, contacted customer support and have not received a response.

They could have at least had it for $199.

EnochLight

25 Nov 2019

diminished wrote:
25 Nov 2019
dezma wrote:
25 Nov 2019
Yet... ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

25 Nov 2019

Kaydigi wrote:
25 Nov 2019
This blows, how is there not an upgrade sale option for Reason 11 users to the suite upgrade? I've tweeted Reason Studios, contacted customer support and have not received a response.

Reason 11 to Suite 11? Both were announced at the same time. If you bought 11 instead of Suite 11, no offense but - it sounds like you just didn't think things through.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

challism

26 Nov 2019

buddard wrote:
24 Nov 2019
That's weird! I have a single Reason license which I've upgraded from 5 to 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 through the years.
I still have Reason 8 installed, which I can run fine.
Before that I had 7, 8 and 9 installed at the same time, also worked without problems.
So I expect that when I update to 11 I will still be able to run 8 and 10.
Then I stand corrected. I guess I have always just assumed that my R9 license would only work on R9. I never really tested to see if it would actually run R8. Honestly, I never gave it any more thought than my initial assumption. I'm also wondering why customer service has never told me that it doesn't matter and I can still use all older versions, instead of manually changing my license to the least recent one. I could have saved them some time. No wonder they don't like me very much.

Anyway, sorry for the misinformation. Now I feel kind of dumb. But the good news is.... I'm getting used to it. :)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

guitfnky

26 Nov 2019

EnochLight wrote:
25 Nov 2019
Kaydigi wrote:
25 Nov 2019

Reason 11 to Suite 11? Both were announced at the same time. If you bought 11 instead of Suite 11, no offense but - it sounds like you just didn't think things through.
customers (especially loyal ones who are already supporting your products) shouldn’t have to “think things through” in this regard. if anything, purely out of good customer service, Reason Studios should have “thought things through”.

it’s honestly an awfully bad look to not have an upgrade path from your basic software options all the way through to your flagship options. they’re double-dipping for anyone who decides they want the Suite after they’ve already bought 11, and that is not cool. they said they were aware of it (Mattias, I think), and considering possibly doing something about it at some point. but what about the people who hold their noses and double upgrade in the interim? they’re out their extra $130, unless RS makes them whole (they won’t).

it would be one thing if it was standard practice for software companies to use this kind of pricing, but it just isn’t. there are too many examples of fair software upgrade pricing models to even bother listing. honestly, this is the only such pricing I’ve ever heard of.

and it’s not just shady, it’s also stupid. how many of us have held off on upgrading to v11 at all, simply because they don’t have the extra coin sitting around (during holiday shopping season, no less) to do a straight upgrade to the Suite? for all my griping about how 11 doesn’t do enough for the DAW side of things, I am planning to get the Suite at some point—they would’ve already had my $130 for the standard upgrade if they hadn’t screwed up the upgrade path pricing.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

kuhliloach

26 Nov 2019

I was planning on a possible upgrade at this time but the no discount thing totally killed it. This situation has given me more time to ponder the fact that I don't actually need anything else. I already have more than I would ever need to produce anything, even if all I had access to was freeware.

EnochLight

26 Nov 2019

guitfnky wrote:
26 Nov 2019
EnochLight wrote:
25 Nov 2019
customers (especially loyal ones who are already supporting your products) shouldn’t have to “think things through” in this regard. if anything, purely out of good customer service, Reason Studios should have “thought things through”.
And that's where we'll have to fundamentally disagree. If I go into an auto dealer and lease a base model, I can't go back a month later and "upgrade" to the top model. As a consumer, it is my responsibility to think things through thoroughly before entering into a business transaction (in this case, buying software).

How is it Reason Studios' fault that people chose to buy the base model 11 with the misplaced assumption they could then upgrade to the top 11 Suite model, when such an offer was never publicized, never advertised, or never even hinted at? Don't get me wrong - it would be swell if they offered such an upgrade path for existing 11 owners, but it feels like some responsibility needs to be taken here.

If the person we're talking about bought base model 11 by accident and really wanted 11 Suite, the best course of action may be to ask for a refund, deauthorize the license, and then buy 11 Suite as they intended (especially since it's on sale now).

tt_lab

26 Nov 2019

EnochLight wrote:
26 Nov 2019
guitfnky wrote:
26 Nov 2019

And that's where we'll have to fundamentally disagree. If I go into an auto dealer and lease a base model, I can't go back a month later and "upgrade" to the top model. As a consumer, it is my responsibility to think things through thoroughly before entering into a business transaction (in this case, buying software).
Software is not a car, it won't break for the missuse. Not a valid point, everything can be compared but not everything is comparable, if you know what I mean?

motuscott

26 Nov 2019

A Reason Rack shower curtain could curtail my batch, but this is some Bizzarro World scenario I never imagined.
"Like Howard Duck, I'm trapped in a world I never made"
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

EnochLight

26 Nov 2019

tt_lab wrote:
26 Nov 2019
Software is not a car, it won't break for the missuse. Not a valid point, everything can be compared but not everything is comparable, if you know what I mean?
So you're arguing that a consumer has no responsibility to think things through when shopping for software? That was my point, using the car analogy.

Philup

26 Nov 2019

I personally have though it through... That is why I haven't upgraded.

The current model for Reason Studios appears to be "Let's hope the consumer doesn't think it through so we can make more money off them".

A consumer should not be able to "accidentally" pay more for something simply by purchasing the exact same product out of sequence.

• Information