What is your master track limiter?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
superpop

25 Nov 2019

First, I don't care about VST.

It's BF so I would like to know what your favourite limiter or maximizer.

joeyluck

25 Nov 2019

Out of the Rack Extension options, Ozone Maximizer is great, even though it is out of date with iZotope's latest (although I think it has more to offer than the Ozone Elements version of the Maximizer).

I also use kHs Limiter (this one is free).

guitfnky

25 Nov 2019

I use the Ozone RE, but barely push it (usually only 1-2 db reduction in the loudest sections), to make sure I’m not getting any overages. I don’t use it for loudness or mastering, per se.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

kuhliloach

25 Nov 2019

I seem to reach for Kuassa Kratos 2 the most, then Ozone, then MClass. I agree that gentle settings are best, feeding the limiter something that is properly hot in the first place.

adfielding

25 Nov 2019

For REs I still sometimes use Ozone Maximizer, though Kuassa's Kratos 2 is certainly no slouch. I'd say try them both, and pick the one that suits you.

Also, I know you said "I don't care about VST" but even so, I feel it'd be remiss of me not to mention Elevate. Been using it for a few years now and it's really, really good.

diminished
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2019

To those of you who don't have anything besides MClass Maximizer, I just wanted to mention LoudMax64 (free) and Yohng W1 Limiter (also free)
superpop wrote:
25 Nov 2019
Aaaand I should have read the thread more carefully.
Last edited by diminished on 25 Nov 2019, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Loque

25 Nov 2019

Kratos and iZotope are both great.

For daily limiting i use Khs Limiter, because its just quick and easy and does the job most of the time very good. But i would not use it as a Maximizer in the master.

I have a view other options, which i mostly use here and there. Today i have Fabfilter L2 in my Master, but this is a VST.
Reason12, Win10

superpop

25 Nov 2019

Ozone and Onyx were on my wish list but only Kratos is on sale and I don't want to spend more than $50 this BF.

Now I can buy Kratos and Khs One ;)

About VST... controlling folders, serials, dongles, ID computer authorizations is too much for me.

Thank you guys.

diminished
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2019

Superpop, both of the free limiters I mentioned are just one dll you slap into a folder, that's it. No authorization, no nothing.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

ltbrunt00

25 Nov 2019

Kuassa Kratos 2. I brought the RE and VST and definitely am getting my moneys worth.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

ast3rix

25 Nov 2019

I have been hooked on the UAD version of the fairchild 670. I love the analog sound it produces...very warm tones. I use the waves L3 maximizer in my master chain as well it can be transparent or it can add more color depending on the settings you use.

WarStar

25 Nov 2019

Kratos bc it's on sale and does a great job!

Boombastix
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2019

IK Stealth for master maximizing - I find it better than Ozone. I also use kHs Limiter on many tracks so I do not get unneeded transients stacking that the master limiter sees - just limit 1-2dB to get transient in control w/o changing the sound much at all. Then I just need to push Stealth to around 4dB to blow up the volume. I think it is also a good idea to cut highs and lows on each track and remove those frequencies that you can without altering the sound, but gives you more space in the frequencies while mixing. I use GQ-7 for this at 96dB. This works for me on electronic sounds - I'm sure guys mixing live rock kits have other ways to go about it as they need to work much harder to shape the sounds.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

xboix

26 Nov 2019

superpop wrote:
25 Nov 2019
Then I can't answer your question and you are excluding the best limiters!

EdGrip

26 Nov 2019

I have loads of VSTs that I love, some free and some bought, and only two of them required an iLok authentication (not a dongle). Reason requires a Codemeter authentication or a login, which is much the same as iLok, which is the *most* hassle VSTs get to install.
You can skip the iLok ones if you like and still have access to most VSTs.

VSTs self-install in the VST folder. U-He like you to get into the habit of installing presets etc into a data folder outside of Program Files, but you don't have to. That's it.

I use Khs Limiter for keeping things from getting nasty when I'm experimenting with feedback etc. I have the MClass Maximiser across the hardware out jacks just to keep things under 0db.

superpop

26 Nov 2019

xboix wrote:
26 Nov 2019
superpop wrote:
25 Nov 2019
Then I can't answer your question and you are excluding the best limiters!
Yes I possibly know. The best... Wait, what about hardware? (just kidding)

Maybe this is what people could tell me if I ask for things Reason don't do or other DAW do better.

For me It's a matter of choice. I want to keep it simple. Reason and REs.

Anyway thank you all.

sdst
Competition Winner

28 Nov 2019

lately i am using waves L3 Multimaximizer, I bought it for $29, regular price $349 Lol

I like it more than Ozone

• Information