Rack Plugin with Midi out on its way (it seems)

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
Boombastix
Competition Winner

23 Nov 2019

I saw RS made a comment on social media that midi out can be expected soon (-ish?). Now don't take it as 100% certain, as they are a little coy about what is coming, but it sounded sure enough ("sooner than you may think" or something like that).

So, good for you guys who jumped on R11. I'm still debating R11 or to stay w R10.4 - the Combinators I make in R10.4 always use VSTs + RE and they are sooooo good. I just have a hard time to see how all that is gonna become incompatible with the Rack Plugin - such a shame, 2yrs of work "down the toilet" if I upgrade. And if I start to convert my "best of" Combinators to Akai VIP or Blue Cats, then I bet they will come out with an update just as I finish the work. I we only could hear a little peep about this feature too. Really wish they add VSTs to the Rack soon... :cry:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

zoidkirb

23 Nov 2019

I was on the fence too, and midi out of rack could be a game changer. That plus the re introduction in the rack of key commands (tab, delete etc) are a huge move in the right direction.

Oquasec

23 Nov 2019

Yeah midi out is how you can use more than one instrument from an instance of reason.
(Rewire did exactly this)
The plugin is just a combinator
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

diminished
Competition Winner

23 Nov 2019

Boombastix wrote:
23 Nov 2019
Really wish they add VSTs to the Rack soon... :cry:
Two steps forward, one step back. Wouldn't count on it.

Maybe we'll even see high DPI support soon that will completely break compatibility with old low res screens. Who knows..
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

botnotbot

24 Nov 2019

diminished wrote:
23 Nov 2019
Boombastix wrote:
23 Nov 2019
Really wish they add VSTs to the Rack soon... :cry:

Maybe we'll even see high DPI support soon that will completely break compatibility with old low res screens. Who knows..
The last thing I think this community needs is a fresh source of gripe posts all about which precious, off brand, never been heard of VST is not working in the VST version of Reason in this other off brand DAW.

I also don't expect very many people want to see developer manpower going to supporting third party software in a technically demanding way in the software that is already getting heat for being all about supporting third party software. Maybe after the graphics and sequencer upgrades?

I understand where you are coming from, but in all honesty if you are hindered by Reason in terms of finishing music, just migrate and start using the native "device combinator" of whichever DAW you land on. Almost all of them have some equivalent sort of plugin patching at this point, so you don't need to purchase anything extra. And you'll have the same level of assurance that Reason ever gave you for combinators -- the patches will load in the DAW they were made with.

Hope that doesn't come off too harsh. I can understand the frustration, I just disagree that it should be a priority for RS.

diminished
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2019

botnotbot wrote:
24 Nov 2019
diminished wrote:
23 Nov 2019

The last thing I think this community needs is a fresh source of gripe posts all about which precious, off brand, never been heard of VST is not working in the VST version of Reason in this other off brand DAW.

I also don't expect very many people want to see developer manpower going to supporting third party software in a technically demanding way in the software that is already getting heat for being all about supporting third party software. Maybe after the graphics and sequencer upgrades?

I understand where you are coming from, but in all honesty if you are hindered by Reason in terms of finishing music, just migrate and start using the native "device combinator" of whichever DAW you land on. Almost all of them have some equivalent sort of plugin patching at this point, so you don't need to purchase anything extra. And you'll have the same level of assurance that Reason ever gave you for combinators -- the patches will load in the DAW they were made with.

Hope that doesn't come off too harsh. I can understand the frustration, I just disagree that it should be a priority for RS.
No offense taken, but nobody said anything like what you are referring to.

The thing with MIDI out is that you'd be able to use your precious (and expensive) Player devices in another DAW too. Without MIDI out support, the Rack VST is crippled.
Another approach would be to allow hosting of VST inside the Rack VST, so you can use Players on these devices from within the Rack..

What I was saying that it's rare seeing PH/RS go all the way - there's always some kind of limiting catch to anything new and innovative.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

botnotbot

24 Nov 2019

diminished wrote:
24 Nov 2019

No offense taken, but nobody said anything like what you are referring to.
Sorry diminished, that was my poor quoting choice. I was responding to boombastix's wanting VSTs in the VST rack. It's not worth the time. And if he was talking about MIDI VSTs, I must have missed something.

EDIT: Okay, I see your use case for VST in the Rack as a patch for not having MIDI out, but Boombastix's post doesn't read like that to me.

dpcoffin

24 Nov 2019

IMO, what the World (iow, me) needs is MIDI OUT from the Rack as a plugin, AND MIDI OUT from VSTs inside Reason. As well as MIDI THRU in both cases.

Reason's MIDI powers are, to me, its strongest unique feature, and being able to usefully integrate them with both DAW-native MIDI FX AND the vast world of MIDI-FX VSTs would be…fulfilling in all directions.

No doubt there are some cool things one could best do with VSTs inside the Rack plugin, but with MIDI Loopback devices so freely available, pretty much anything is already available, with any timing issues basically fixable once MIDI Out is available…so IMO adding VSTs in the rack would be a challenge way bigger than its possible benefits.

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2019

If the Rack plugin gets MIDI out and CV routing across multiple instances I’ll update to version 11.

guitfnky

24 Nov 2019

👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼
dpcoffin wrote:
24 Nov 2019
IMO, what the World (iow, me) needs is MIDI OUT from the Rack as a plugin, AND MIDI OUT from VSTs inside Reason. As well as MIDI THRU in both cases.
👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼

if they give other DAWs the ability to get MIDI out from the rack before we get VST MIDI in the Reason DAW, I’m going to flip the r*a**ck out. :lol:

*f **u
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

stratatonic

24 Nov 2019

Boombastix wrote:
23 Nov 2019
I saw RS made a comment on social media that midi out can be expected soon (-ish?). Now don't take it as 100% certain, as they are a little coy about what is coming, but it sounded sure enough ("sooner than you may think" or something like that).
midiout.jpeg
midiout.jpeg (29.66 KiB) Viewed 3650 times
Too bad it wasn't available right away - comes across as yet another Propellerhead half-baked implementation. Maybe they thought they could trickle in the feature in a paid upgrade? It kinda makes no sense to have the Rack plugin without that. Hopefully "sooner rather than later", means an 11.x update, rather than in a paid R12 upgrade.

jlgrimes

25 Nov 2019

Oquasec wrote:
23 Nov 2019
Yeah midi out is how you can use more than one instrument from an instance of reason.
(Rewire did exactly this)
The plugin is just a combinator
I would imagine another benefit would be to utilize some of the Reason players into VSTs using the Rack in DAW setups.

jlgrimes

25 Nov 2019

stratatonic wrote:
24 Nov 2019
Boombastix wrote:
23 Nov 2019
midiout.jpeg

Too bad it wasn't available right away - comes across as yet another Propellerhead half-baked implementation. Maybe they thought they could trickle in the feature in a paid upgrade? It kinda makes no sense to have the Rack plugin without that. Hopefully "sooner rather than later", means an 11.x update, rather than in a paid R12 upgrade.
I doubt it would be a paid upgrade if they are saying soon. That usually indicates a minor release. They are usually tight lipped about major release features anyways (until the marketing promos come out).

I'm imagining some more substantial minor releases added to both Reason 11 Rack plugin and standalone.

Oquasec

25 Nov 2019

Awesome news if true.
Omg
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

EdGrip

26 Nov 2019

RS know that players are strong enough now that people would buy the Rack just for MIDI out.

Zac

26 Nov 2019

guitfnky wrote:
24 Nov 2019
👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼
dpcoffin wrote:
24 Nov 2019
👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼

if they give other DAWs the ability to get MIDI out from the rack before we get VST MIDI in the Reason DAW, I’m going to flip the r*a**ck out. :lol:

*f **u
Yeah it'd be a telling sign. Let's hope they have people working on MIDI out for VSTs too, but I doubt it.

NostraDAWmus

26 Nov 2019

EdGrip wrote:
26 Nov 2019
RS know that players are strong enough now that people would buy the Rack just for MIDI out.
As much as I appreciate MIDI-Out for VST-RSNRack,- I´d wish they improve MIDI -In too ...

It drives me nuts I´m unable loading multiple Reason instrument devices and assign each one to it´s individual MIDI-channel.
Maybe I´m stupid, but I cannot find a way doing it, may it be in Reaper or Cantabile.

I´d like to see the VST-RSNRack as some kind of multi instrument container, not only distributing MIDI notes and controllers and handling splits/layers via "combine" (Combinator) but also distributing multiple MIDI channels ... something like NI Kontakt "Multi" or such ...

If there´s a way to do so, please advise.

In addition, I don´t understand why I can use MIDI PrgChanges for devices in the RSN Rack in Reason 11 and why I can´t in the VST-RSNRack.
P.ex. - going thru Thor patches in RSN 11, but not in the VST RSN Rack ...

VST(i)3 is not the only explanation since I own several 64Bit (VST3) plugins handling MIDI PrgChanges well,- p.ex. uhe, using embedded "MIDI"-programs bank, users can fill w/ patches picked from the other preset banks.

Up to now, this VST RSN Rack device is a half assed piece of s##t for me because I can do everything RSN related better in Reason itself than in the Rack being loaded in other DAW applications.
So, they better improve Reason and/or make the VST Rack a fully fledged Reason rack w/o the sequencer and "SSL"-mixer.

:puf_smile:

P.

vas314

20 Dec 2019

Hi,

My first post.
Very interested to get Reason Intro and the Rack with all the fine goodies.
What is the latest on the Rack getting midi out?
Without the midi out from the Rack I will not be a buyer.
Too bad as it is such a good package.
Yes I know as a standalone it has a midi out but need the Rack as a VST in Studio One.

• Information