(Space Music) Watching Someone Else's Moon

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Benedict
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2019

Hi All

Long-time no posting of music here. This is a contender straight off the R11 render (mix not checked yet)

The form is broadly Berlin School (think Tangerine Dream) and the title references myself listening to the work of a lot of other Indie acts in an EM group I was invited to. I was somewhat jealous of their apparent success (lovely studio rooms full of expensive gear and accolades for their music). I know jealousy is a curse.

The track is the usual Europa, Thor, Subtractor, and I think Oberon for sounds.

With this record (Sketches of Place & Time) I have been deliberately minimizing processing on the instruments - no compression etc. and using only one of the new Master Bus Comp units in the Masters and my fave Onyx to catch strays. Overall I am looking for a more relaxed sound akin to the feel of something like Eno "Music For Films".

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

jappe

01 Dec 2019

Hey, nice to see you here again!

Tasty & dreamy, guiding me gently into a relaxed state of mind. Absolutely beautiful.

Just a thought: I would maybe have preferred the lead sound to not be re-triggering the filter attack for every note when it plays a bit faster, like from 3.01-3.12.
Nice surprise texture change from 3.12...I guess with the filter open at that point it wouldn't sound as intended.

Overall a very very nice song, definitively in the TD space!

Benedict
Competition Winner

01 Dec 2019

Thanks Jappe

That sound was Poly. Mono/Legato is good for some things but not if you want the slow brass attack. It just turns into a completely different sound. It is all trade-offs.

I probably made the sound very Velo sensitive to several parameters like Attack times but then didn't play dynamically enough - I rarely use much more than a very light touch. When I play "live" I try not to edit too much or it loses the flow I had.

I'm glad you liked it overall tho.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

03 Dec 2019

Very dreamy. I like it. :thumbs_up:

Benedict
Competition Winner

03 Dec 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote: