A Contentious Question

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!

What is or has been your relationship to pirated software.

Poll ended at 24 Nov 2019

I have never listened to a pirated song, watched a pirated movie or used a pirated version of Office or Windows.
2%
I have never used pirated software.
6%
I have a pirated DAW on my computer.
1%
I have one or two pirated VST/AU on my system.
1%
A good percentage of the music creation software on my system is pirated.
No votes
I have used pirated software in the past, but I don't at present.
30%
My first experience of Reason was through using a pirated copy.
18%
If it was possible, I would be using a pirated version of Reason now.
No votes
I believe that software piracy can provide some benefits for developers.
7%
When I'm better off, I'll buy legitimate versions of my software.
2%
For some reason, I always seem to get better results from software which I have paid for.
6%
If developers charged less for their software, maybe I'd pay for it.
1%
I do use some pirated software, but I feel really bad about it.
No votes
On occasions, using pirated software has lead to me later purchasing it.
13%
Pirating digital media does not involve the removal of a physical item and therefore it does not constitute theft.
2%
Using pirated software from small or individual developers is much worse than using pirated software from the big boys.
7%
All intellectual property is theft. Developers are all capitalist fat cats. Come the revolution, all software will be free.
No votes
Software piracy is a serious problem and culprits should be punished in the same way as people caught stealing physical items.
4%

Total votes: 90
Periwinkle

18 Nov 2019

I occurs to me that opening up Reason to VSTs (Which I think was a good decision), meant that the availability of cracked VSTs may have had an impact on Reason Extension sales. I wonder ...

.“Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.”

― Banksy

Jmax

18 Nov 2019

I started out using the cracked version of Reason, for years. Then decided I love it and have sunk maybe 4-5k into version releases, RE's. Props for the win!

I have some cracked VST's not gonna lie. I'd flat out buy them if I could afford it. I will eventually one by one.

Do I create better music with instruments that I've paid for? not really. It's all the same.

reggie1979

18 Nov 2019

I can't say I've never used pirated software. Back in the day, when photoshop was completely not affordable, people gave me copies to use. It wasn't until all that Lars/RIAA stuff that I made a choice that pirating is bad.

Seems I'm of two minds. I don't want to be judgmental, but even rich folk (er, I mean kids) use pirated software w/o any moral compass whatsoever. Now, I HATE those people. (I'm looking at you Kanye............. )

Periwinkle

19 Nov 2019

Sorry, had to do this:

And, of course, with cracked software, there is a higher risk of fire.

.“Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.”

― Banksy

• Information