Keep search term in browser search box.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Namyo85

18 Nov 2019

Hello, haven't posted on this forum for a long time. There's many reasons for this including becoming disillusioned with all things 'Reason' including this site, that said, a lot of that was due to how I responded to posts on here and how I felt about Reasons limitations. I have to take some responsibility for 'how things were'. I also had some serious problems to solve in my life which I'm getting on top of now, I'm winning basically and I'm back with a more positive attitude. Have to say despite not posting I have been visiting from time to time and reading posts on here, probably won't post too often but it's good to be back. :puf_smile:

Anyway, to the point. I want to suggest that Reasons search box retains the search term when switching between 'Instruments' Effects' and 'Utilities'. It disappears each time which is annoying, ok I can copy the word and paste it in but that's still a drag. I don't know if it's been fixed in version 11, I'm still on 9.5. Thanks guys.

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Nov 2019

You posted here before my time, but welcome back!

The search box clearing itself when switching categories is probably on top of my list of the things most annoying in Reason.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

xboix

18 Nov 2019

diminished wrote:
18 Nov 2019
...most annoying in Reason.
I'd expand that to include the whole search thing in general. Why can't they catalogue my refills and sounds folders and give me a sensible search speed?

Oquasec

18 Nov 2019

I feel like reason search speed is fast since it scans folders in realtime.
like a 35gb library or something.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Nov 2019

It seems like the missing sound search goes through each item in a folder and compares it to the search string one by one.. Matlab is faster..

Yeah alright. It's the whole shitty browser on top of that list.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Namyo85

18 Nov 2019

Windows 7's own search works at light speed in comparison. I often search for missing samples with W7 then navigate to the folder in Reasons browser then tell it to look there. What I find bizarre is if you direct the search one folder up, Reason won't search that folder then the subfolder which the sample is in, it starts from the top and 3 weeks go by before it finds the sound. :-?

Oquasec

18 Nov 2019

Is that a windows thing or a reason thing?
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Namyo85

18 Nov 2019

Definitely a Reason issue. So many users report the browsers slow speed amongst other things.

tobypearce

03 Nov 2023

diminished wrote:
18 Nov 2019
You posted here before my time, but welcome back!

The search box clearing itself when switching categories is probably on top of my list of the things most annoying in Reason.
*Bump*
I often find myself entering a search term, *then* realising that I'm in instruments not effects (or visa versa). When I change this, the search string I've entered disappears and I have to type it again. It's frustrating.
Please can this be changed?
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

luckygreen

03 Nov 2023

I'm on Windows and I have to say there are many crappy search algorithms. The file search in Windows OS ist one of them: uses lots of resources and gives bad results. Does anyone else use the free software "Voidtools Everything"? It's a blessing and pretty much the opposite of Windows file search. Unbelievably fast und uses as good as no resources. I guess the code would run on a 20 year old calculator with no issues indexing a 2TB drive in less than two minutes.

That is to say: Dear Propellerheads .. I mean .. dear Reason Studios Reason people with lots of reasoning, please google "Voidtools Everything", contact the developer and ask if he could tell you one or two secrets about coding a proper search function. Then implement. That'd be awesome. :thumbs_up:
Reason 12 perpetual | Ableton Live 11 Suite
Lectric Panda Kompulsion, Nostromo, mDSQ, Shape | PinkNoise Maia Bundle | Reason Studios Objekt | Rob Papen Go2 | UJAM some RE | Synapse Audio AF-4, RE-160, Obsession | Andrew Russell Double Dry/Wet | Murf Valley Plateau

PhillipOrdonez

03 Nov 2023

Please make it so it remains on search box, reason studios!

robussc

04 Nov 2023

This is the kind of workflow thing that is incredibly easy to code, yet makes quite a difference to users.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

Heigen5

05 Nov 2023

I agree on the suggestion, - I find it annoying too. By the way, the search is based on the pre-search whereas Reason collects data i.e. indexes all the locations and their content, so next time it doesn't need to search anymore again, that's why it became so fast. This was actually suggested by me. It is a day and night in the speedwise now.

zebbleganubi

05 Nov 2023

this will fix it if you dont mind installing autohotkey. just paste the code into a text file and save it as "reason browser fix.ahk" or whatever, then double click the file to run it. it checks the search box before and after every mouse click and then and adds the text back in if its missing

Code: Select all

#noEnv
#persistent
#singleInstance, force
sendMode, input
setBatchLines, -1

hotkey, ifWinActive, ahk_class IglooDocumentWindow
hotkey, LButton, left_click_down
hotkey, LButton up, left_click_up

return ; end of auto-execute ---------------------------------------------------

left_click_down:
search_text := ""                 ; reset variable
controlGetText, output, Edit1, a  ; check search box
if (output != "")                 ; if its not empty
    search_text := output

send {LButton Down}

controlGetText, output, Edit1, a        ; check again after click
if (output = "" and search_text != "")  ; if its now empty
    controlSetText, Edit1, % search_text, a
return

left_click_up:
send {LButton up}
return

antic604

06 Nov 2023

As I said somewhere else "everywhere" should be the default search setting, so whatever you'd type in would be searched for in instruments, effects, utilities and players.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

dan_g

06 Nov 2023

zebbleganubi wrote:
05 Nov 2023
this will fix it if you dont mind installing autohotkey. just paste the code into a text file and save it as "reason browser fix.ahk" or whatever, then double click the file to run it. it checks the search box before and after every mouse click and then and adds the text back in if its missing

#noEnv
#persistent
#singleInstance, force
sendMode, input
setBatchLines, -1

return ; end of auto-execute ---------------------------------------------------

left_click_down:

send {LButton Down}

return

left_click_up:
send {LButton up}
return
sounds great will try it and icorporate it in my reason ahk script if you don't mind. i have a few helpfull snipets running and this will be a great addition.

also this gives me the idea to try to select "everywere" via ahk everytime a project gets opened.
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

zebbleganubi

06 Nov 2023

dan_g wrote:
06 Nov 2023
sounds great will try it and icorporate it in my reason ahk script if you don't mind. i have a few helpfull snipets running and this will be a great addition.
dont mind at all!
actually i just added in a bit to send the enter key after the text is added back in, so the search is run again

#noEnv
#persistent
#singleInstance, force
sendMode, input
setBatchLines, -1

left_click_down:

send {LButton Down}

{
    controlSend, Edit1, {enter}, a
    }
return

left_click_up:
send {LButton up}
return
dan_g wrote:
06 Nov 2023
also this gives me the idea to try to select "everywere" via ahk everytime a project gets opened.
do you mean making it search everywhere in the browser?

dan_g

07 Nov 2023

zebbleganubi wrote:
06 Nov 2023

do you mean making it search everywhere in the browser?
yes. so its automatically set to "everywhere" wenn starting up. (as it should be with a setting in the preferences :P)
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

• Information