Apollo twin, reason and windows crackling.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Le Boeuf

18 Nov 2019

Hi!

Anybody in here other than me, who are experiencing weird buffer crackling noise in reason?

I don’t think that reason itself is the problem. But I’ve experienced this problem before with other SC’s

I have an Asus mb with an Asus thunderbolt ex3 pci extension. And latest reason set up via thunderbolt 3 cable to my Apollo twin duo.

The problem occurs every time I use reason while browsing sounds outside reason (for example, splice, web browsers etc) which is pretty annoying. The only way to quick fix the problem for me is to change the buffer size on my sound card settings. And then it runs flawless again for some time.

bitley

18 Nov 2019

Again, try using Asio 4 All if you guys have a PC with audio issues.

Loque

18 Nov 2019

I repeat myself too often here...Reasonstudios should make a FAQ for this...

Turn OFF Power Savings.
Reason12, Win10

Le Boeuf

18 Nov 2019

bitley wrote:
18 Nov 2019
Again, try using Asio 4 All if you guys have a PC with audio issues.
I am using that in Reason, still getting the issue tho.

Le Boeuf

18 Nov 2019

Loque wrote:
18 Nov 2019

Seems so, if this is the fix.
Power Saving is a large subject in windows. which one are you referring to?
and thanks :)

Turn OFF Power Savings.

Loque

18 Nov 2019

Le Boeuf wrote:
18 Nov 2019
Loque wrote:
18 Nov 2019

Seems so, if this is the fix.
Power Saving is a large subject in windows. which one are you referring to?
and thanks :)

Turn OFF Power Savings.
I use HIGH PERFORMANCE for music making or edit the settings, to at least set the CPU to 100%.
Reason12, Win10

PhillipOrdonez

18 Nov 2019

Go to the power settings and make sure there's no battery saving happening, also make sure you are plugged in. My computer will not run audio projects in Reason when on battery.

There are some videos explaining how to optimise Windows for audio work to ensure the processor isn't throttled by anything unnecessary.

Furthermore, update and use your apollo twin native drivers. That whole asio4all crap is only for those who don't have real soundcards and only use the one that came with the computer.

kuhliloach

18 Nov 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
18 Nov 2019
Go to the power settings and make sure there's no battery saving happening, also make sure you are plugged in. My computer will not run audio projects in Reason when on battery.

There are some videos explaining how to optimise Windows for audio work to ensure the processor isn't throttled by anything unnecessary.

Furthermore, update and use your apollo twin native drivers. That whole asio4all crap is only for those who don't have real soundcards and only use the one that came with the computer.
This in incorrect. ASIO4ALL is a replacement for all manufacturer provided Windows-based ASIO drivers that are very often poor and do not even allow the 64 sample setting that ASIO4ALL allows.

PeterP

19 Nov 2019

Never use ASIO4ALL if you can avoid it. It's not a replacement for proper ASIO drivers. It's just a wrapper on top of WDM drivers. Universal Audio happen to have pretty bad WDM drivers.

I also have an Apollo Twin, you'll lose access to the Console software, the unison PreAmps and you'll get worse latency if you try to use it.

If you already have the latest drivers installed, then have a look at their Windows Optimization guide here: https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articl ... l-Settings

If it's related to other programs playing sound at the same time then it could be that ASIO and Windows Audio System are running different sample rates. If one is set to 44.1KHz and the other to 48kHz you're going to run into problems if you have Reason running.

Another thing that can help if it's still not working is to bump up the "USB Safety Buffer" a step or two, as described here: https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articl ... -Explained

Loque

19 Nov 2019

PeterP wrote:
19 Nov 2019

If you already have the latest drivers installed, then have a look at their Windows Optimization guide here: https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articl ... l-Settings
Something like this should be sticked somehow in the forum and RS should have a FAQ or similar for this...
Reason12, Win10

• Information