RME introduces the Babyface Pro FS

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
EnochLight

12 Nov 2019

RME has just announced a new Babyface Pro FS. Here's the official deets:
Four years ago the Babyface Pro again demonstrated RME’s absolute commitment to superior craftsmanship, not only in audio circuits and driver development, but also in mechanics. Created with the highest precision from a block of aluminum, this high-end portable interface incorporated newly designed analog and digital circuits. Its innovative energy saving technologies provided supreme fidelity with no compromises in level, noise or distortion.

In the new Babyface Pro FS even more improvements were implemented:
  • +19 / +4 dBu switch on the bottom adds a direct way to reduce the output level, thus improves SNR for sensitive active monitors, avoids distortion / overload, and helps to keep TotalMix FX faders near 0 dB instead of high attenuations.
  • Full SteadyClock FS circuit as in the ADI-2 PRO FS for lowest jitter and highest jitter immunity.
  • 3.5 mm TRS phones output power rises from 70 mW to 90 mW. THD of both phones outputs improved by up to 10 dB. Uses same output op-amps as ADI-2 PRO now. Output impedance of 3.5 mm TRS lowered from 2 Ohms to 0.1 Ohms.
  • Mic inputs SNR improved from 112.2 dB to 113.7 dB, TRS Line inputs SNR improved from 114 dB to 116.3 dB (120 dBA). THD Line inputs improved by 8 dB.
  • 6 samples less latency on the AD side by new ADC (5 samples AD, 7 samples DA. It won't get quicker...).
  • All the above improvements were achieved without raising the units power consumption.
  • K-slot (Kensington Lock) for theft protection.
No clue if this is even near enough to make me want to "upgrade" from my Babyface Pro.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.rme-audio.de/babyface-pro-fs.html

Babyface-Pro-FS.png
Babyface-Pro-FS.png (69.16 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

kimothebeatmaker

13 Nov 2019

I love my babyface pro, and will probably stick with it until i become a millionaire...
"Cocaine and Prostitutes"

miscend

13 Nov 2019

Not much of an upgrade. Most people won't even discern a difference.

EnochLight

13 Nov 2019

miscend wrote:
13 Nov 2019
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. There are several changes I would have liked to have seen for a worthy successor (including improving the confusing rats nest that is known as their TotalMix FX software).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

reggie1979

14 Nov 2019

I'm not changing my BFP unless there is a terrific reason for it. This seems not to be it. If it was half the latency or something like that I'd think about it.

miscend

15 Nov 2019

Just had a look at their forums. There's new drivers and a new firmware revision out. The BFP and BFP FS both use the exact same firmware.
Firmware version 125 is now available for the Babyface Pro, Mac and Win. As Babyface Pro and Babyface Pro FS share the same firmware the Pro jumps from 101 to 125. This firmware improves SteadyClock on both units.

miscend

15 Nov 2019

EnochLight wrote:
13 Nov 2019
miscend wrote:
13 Nov 2019
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. There are several changes I would have liked to have seen for a worthy successor (including improving the confusing rats nest that is known as their TotalMix FX software).
I know, but I don't think they will ever change Totalmix - its been like that for years. It's that rare piece of software where the manual is required reading. The current GUI makes it difficult to visualise the signal path and its full of cryptic abbreviations like PH & AS.

reggie1979

16 Nov 2019

I don't understand. Totalmix is a stable of their software. What is going on here that diminishes that or puts us in a compromiseable situation?

Please explain.................

BananaSkins

16 Nov 2019

TotalMix is like a wild horse!

Once you tame it it will be your best friend for ever...

EnochLight

16 Nov 2019

miscend wrote:
15 Nov 2019
EnochLight wrote:
13 Nov 2019

I know, but I don't think they will ever change Totalmix - its been like that for years. It's that rare piece of software where the manual is required reading. The current GUI makes it difficult to visualise the signal path and its full of cryptic abbreviations like PH & AS.
Totally. Coming from Reason, where it's very easy to visualize signal paths (most of the time), TotalMix FX is like a massive regression. It's great software once you wrap your head around it, though.
miscend wrote:
15 Nov 2019
Just had a look at their forums. There's new drivers and a new firmware revision out. The BFP and BFP FS both use the exact same firmware.
Firmware version 125 is now available for the Babyface Pro, Mac and Win. As Babyface Pro and Babyface Pro FS share the same firmware the Pro jumps from 101 to 125. This firmware improves SteadyClock on both units.
Ah cool, thanks. I didn't see that when the FS product page was actually posted. The flash/driver date says November 13, 2019, so maybe I missed it.

• Information