Forgotten Waveshaper 2 is now available!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ForgottenClank
RE Developer

12 Nov 2019

Hi fellow Reasoners!

A bit earlier than planned but I am excited nonetheless: Version 2 of the Forgotten Waveshaper is now in the shop, completely reprogrammed and with two metric tons of new useful features. Unless you're applying for the upgrade I would suggest waiting for Black Friday as there will be a sale.

If you don't know what this device is about, watch the "Feature Showcase" video (or the whole playlist, while you're at it). It's not just a simple distortion device, you can do so much more.

Cheers,
Adam

P.S.: The manual link seems to be broken, I will fix it ASAP.
Edit: While the guys at Reason Studios fix the link on the web page, here is an unofficial official link to the manual.

dhruan

12 Nov 2019

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... eshaper-2/

I had the great pleasure and privilege to beta test this angry and multitalented puppy and I am glad to report that it has been finally released.

If you do sound design or are a fan of distortion (esp. multiband) then please do check it out. I've gotten some seriously gnarly "in your face" type results out of it that I haven't been able to coax out as easily (or at all) with the myriad of other distortion RE at my disposal (I think the only distortion RE that I do not have is RP Distort because it sounded hella digital).

Anyway, this is perfect for aural destruction for things like power electronics, noise, industrial or EBM. And hey, it doesn't stop there... Check out the Timbre and Dynamics sections for coloring and shaping the sound in the plugin itself. Super sweet and handy.

soundcloud.com/armsgrade

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

12 Nov 2019

Thanks for the kind words! I did write it in my other post but want to make sure people don't miss it:
There is an upgrade option for owners of the original "Forgotten Wave Shaper". Check out the document on the page. For all the others, there will be a Black Friday sale so I would suggest waiting for that.

Cheers,
Adam

Edit: While the guys at Reason Studios fix the link on the web page, here is an unofficial official link to the manual.
Last edited by ForgottenClank on 12 Nov 2019, edited 1 time in total.

dhruan

12 Nov 2019

Double post, official thread by the developer can be found at > viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7514897

MODS: Please close this or merge the threads.
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

friday

12 Nov 2019

Does the device support oversampling?

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

12 Nov 2019

friday wrote:
12 Nov 2019
Does the device support oversampling?
Not yet. Quoting from the manual:
Where is oversampling?
Oversampling is a complicated feature that is also very CPU intensive. Due to the flexibility of the
device, it is already fairly CPU hungry, which is why I’m currently looking into more efficient ways of
doing oversampling. Unfortunately, these advanced techniques are not only more efficient but also
more complicated so I left them for a future update.
I also did some testing to evaluate how much difference oversampling would make and the result was
sobering. Most of the time the difference in sound quality was negligible and only it extreme case it
made a significant difference.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

12 Nov 2019

Congrats on your new RE.
It's good you have a bunch of videos explaining this thing. I felt the focus weren't so much on the sound itself, but more on the technical aspects.
Seems to me like this Re is more for the tweaker user, which unfortunately I'm not. I'd rather have one knob that says Distortion Amount and somehow everything going through it just comes out sounding awesome.

Maybe add a video focusing more on selling the product from a sound perspective. Like only showing musical examples where this RE really shines. That guitar distortion example really didn't do it for me, no matter how complex the device happens to be. The drum examples were better, but I still felt it was more about the technical aspects rather than making it sound really good.

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

12 Nov 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
12 Nov 2019
Maybe add a video focusing more on selling the product from a sound perspective. Like only showing musical examples where this RE really shines. That guitar distortion example really didn't do it for me, no matter how complex the device happens to be. The drum examples were better, but I still felt it was more about the technical aspects rather than making it sound really good.
I can see where you're coming from. This is definitely for people how want to have control over everything and experiment with what happens when you do things you wouldn't usually be able to do. I'll think about a sound example video, thanks for the suggestion.

Loque

12 Nov 2019

Great release! Looks amazing and feature packed! Flexible wave shaping, from soft saturation to complete destruction, paired with envelope follower and multiband. This makes it an interesting exciter too.

Good stuff. And everything can be automated 👍
Reason12, Win10

chaosroyale

12 Nov 2019

Wow - just going from first impressions but this seriously could be the greatest waveshaping/distortion plugin I have ever seen. The custom compression stuff is sweet, as are the mid/side modes and the multiband implementation.

This feels like what Pulverizer should have been. Also your GUI is really fast and intuitive; I like it more than Fabfilter Saturn.

Will you make a VST version? I would love a VST version.
ForgottenClank wrote:
12 Nov 2019
Hi fellow Reasoners!

A bit earlier than planned but I am excited nonetheless: Version 2 of the Forgotten Waveshaper is now in the shop, completely reprogrammed and with two metric tons of new useful features. Unless you're applying for the upgrade I would suggest waiting for Black Friday as there will be a sale.

If you don't know what this device is about, watch the "Feature Showcase" video (or the whole playlist, while you're at it). It's not just a simple distortion device, you can do so much more.

Cheers,
Adam

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

12 Nov 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
12 Nov 2019
Wow - just going from first impressions but this seriously could be the greatest waveshaping/distortion plugin I have ever seen. The custom compression stuff is sweet, as are the mid/side modes and the multiband implementation.

This feels like what Pulverizer should have been. Also your GUI is really fast and intuitive; I like it more than Fabfilter Saturn.
Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it.
chaosroyale wrote:
12 Nov 2019
Will you make a VST version? I would love a VST version.
Presumably not. VST development needs a different framework (which I've never used), the GUI would have to be redesigned and a lot of other stuff that I cannot copy over from the RE version. Maybe someday but at the moment there are other projects that I'm looking forward to deploying.

PinkSlime

12 Nov 2019

Big thank you for this device! many constructive and destructive uses, as well as ways to tame it. The compressor function and global dry/wet plus gate really help nail the portion :-) I had only the remains of my evening to play with it. Tomorrow I will use it on long reverb tails as a first idea

olive6741

13 Nov 2019

Yes, great! "Compressor" part is really interesting, manual worth a read! Yesterday evening I used a Monotone thru it, it's really interesting what's possible to get! And I only scratched the surface! Nice to have a RE that reminds Trash2's possibilities distorsion wise!

Loque

13 Nov 2019

olive6741 wrote:
13 Nov 2019
Yes, great! "Compressor" part is really interesting, manual worth a read! Yesterday evening I used a Monotone thru it, it's really interesting what's possible to get! And I only scratched the surface! Nice to have a RE that reminds Trash2's possibilities distorsion wise!
You have even more possibilities with the wave shaping alone than Trash2.
Reason12, Win10

olive6741

13 Nov 2019

Loque wrote:
13 Nov 2019

Yes and the automatable modifiers are great (but I didn't tried automation yet). Deep device! Perfect for sound designing and subtle (or not so subtle) movement! Will be my goto distorsion I think.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Nov 2019

Loque wrote:
13 Nov 2019

I've been waiting on Trash2 to go on sale so I can get it. Would you say FW2 suitably replaces it or does Trash have features which would make it also worth having?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

dvdrtldg

13 Nov 2019

I love Trash2 but this thing looks a lot more elegant and better designed. Might not have all the Trash2 bells & whistles (don't know, haven't trialled it yet) but it looks crazy fun

Loque

13 Nov 2019

MrFigg wrote:
13 Nov 2019
Loque wrote:
13 Nov 2019

I've been waiting on Trash2 to go on sale so I can get it. Would you say FW2 suitably replaces it or does Trash have features which would make it also worth having?
Trash2 has convolution reverb with interesting samples. Good for guitar players. For daily wave shaping and guitars, Trash2 is good. For a bit more experiments, freedom and advanced control over movement and curves, Forgotten Waveshaper 2 is yours.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Nov 2019

Loque wrote:
13 Nov 2019
MrFigg wrote:
13 Nov 2019

Trash2 has convolution reverb with interesting samples. Good for guitar players. For daily wave shaping and guitars, Trash2 is good. For a bit more experiments, freedom and advanced control over movement and curves, Forgotten Waveshaper 2 is yours.
Hmmm...oh well. Seeing as how I mostly use that sort of stuff for guitar I guess I'd better get Trash2 as well. Thanks :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

scratchnsnifff

13 Nov 2019

ForgottenClank wrote:
12 Nov 2019
TritoneAddiction wrote:
12 Nov 2019
I can see where you're coming from. This is definitely for people how want to have control over everything and experiment with what happens when you do things you wouldn't usually be able to do. I'll think about a sound example video, thanks for the suggestion.

I love this device. Really am a fan of all of your products!

I wish the filter designer thing had a nice in depth tutorial for making band reject shapes or weird resonator filter designs ( lol just a side note)

I love how this wave shaper is like trash 2 but with a rack extension spin on it :) the amount of control is ridiculous! And it’s great to see some of the feature requests from the first iteration. I like how you added the skewing of lines/curves. And how you can do bend - and + to the distortion shapes.

It took a while for me to understand how to make various bands, but holy cow is this thing a powerhouse. Makes me wonder why PH didn’t make something like this years ago
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

sonicbyte

14 Nov 2019

Looks amazing

Loque

14 Nov 2019

sonicbyte wrote:
14 Nov 2019
Looks amazing
Sounds amazing! With amazing features!
Reason12, Win10

Bonkhead

14 Nov 2019

I am completely blown away by this device. The amount of possibilities is endless, and beyond, my smile doesn't stop. This is gonna make me spend months, even years, to master everything it can do, I'm sure. Next I would like to thank ForgottenClank for being able to make use of the limited upgrade opportunity which is a big gift in itself imho, I almost feel guilty ! Will buy more stuff for support in the near future :)

EdGrip

15 Nov 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
12 Nov 2019
Congrats on your new RE.
It's good you have a bunch of videos explaining this thing. I felt the focus weren't so much on the sound itself, but more on the technical aspects.
Seems to me like this Re is more for the tweaker user, which unfortunately I'm not. I'd rather have one knob that says Distortion Amount and somehow everything going through it just comes out sounding awesome.

I think when you've got a device with a lot of deep tweakability, presets become very important. They can help demonstrate the device, and they can be the big Distortion Amount knob. Not that preset? Try the next one. And the next one. I love the big preset library with Devastor 2 and I use it lots - I never start a sound from scratch in Devastor 2, I just tweak.

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

15 Nov 2019

Bonkhead wrote:
14 Nov 2019
I am completely blown away by this device. The amount of possibilities is endless, and beyond, my smile doesn't stop. This is gonna make me spend months, even years, to master everything it can do, I'm sure. Next I would like to thank ForgottenClank for being able to make use of the limited upgrade opportunity which is a big gift in itself imho, I almost feel guilty ! Will buy more stuff for support in the near future :)
Glad you like it, it was my pleasure! A rating in the shop always helps me out if you want to return the favour. There is more stuff coming so stay tuned!

• Information