29th November 2019

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
VariableX

06 Nov 2019

Not software related, but I really need a new audio interface and speakers.
Is hardware a black friday thing too?
Was thinking a Focusrite audio interface and cheap but functional speakers ( my hearing isn't perfect and i use Audio Technica headphones mostly, just need a different perspective from, iphones, blutooth speakers and headphones )

Got to admit I don't even bother to look at the Reason Shop any more as I dont need anything and there are no deals if the week to peruse. The only RE or Vst i am even aware of are the ones mentioned on this site.

Reason 10 is pretty much perfect.

zoidkirb

06 Nov 2019

Yes it's a thing. The cheap focusrites are decent. Similar to others in that price range. They give out a lot of free software every few months too.
I have a pair of pretty cheap presonus eris 5" monitors which I think are fantastic. A lot of people will recommend the jbl 305/308's which are also great.

challism

07 Nov 2019

MrFigg wrote:
06 Nov 2019
challism wrote:
06 Nov 2019
I'm set for FX and instruments, but I'm liking a few of the players.
I'm looking at 2 players from Tonicmint: ScaleMatrix and ChordLine.
Reason Studios' Polystep looks good too.
Those two tonicmint REs are great. Recommended.

I’m thinking about polystep myself.
Yeah, I'll be really tempted to pick them up if they are on sale.

Although I am set on FX, I could be tempted to buy
Jiggery Pokery's Psyclone Dual Rotary Speaker &
Animus Shimmerverb Ensemble because they look amazing.
I picked up JP's wah wah during his last sale, and it's great!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Nov 2019

challism wrote:
07 Nov 2019
MrFigg wrote:
06 Nov 2019

Those two tonicmint REs are great. Recommended.

I’m thinking about polystep myself.
Yeah, I'll be really tempted to pick them up if they are on sale.

Although I am set on FX, I could be tempted to buy
Jiggery Pokery's Psyclone Dual Rotary Speaker &
Animus Shimmerverb Ensemble because they look amazing.
I picked up JP's wah wah during his last sale, and it's great!
If you play guitar and like the Cocteau Twins then Animus is essential and Psyclone adds a further dimension. Now you’re just naming all my most used REs. Haha.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Jackjackdaw

07 Nov 2019

I'm hoping there will be a discount on R11 upgrade. If so, maybe suite? I really want Parsec 2. Also PX7, which i dont think is in suite? Kind of annoying.

Zac

07 Nov 2019

This never goes on sale but I'd get it if it did
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ontium-90/

VariableX

08 Nov 2019

zoidkirb wrote:
06 Nov 2019
Yes it's a thing. The cheap focusrites are decent. Similar to others in that price range. They give out a lot of free software every few months too.
I have a pair of pretty cheap presonus eris 5" monitors which I think are fantastic. A lot of people will recommend the jbl 305/308's which are also great.
hey thanks for the advice 👊
eris look good price wise they even do a bluetooth version which might be worth it...JBLs look horrendous ( to me) dont think i could stomach them in my like of sight haha

zoidkirb

08 Nov 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
08 Nov 2019
zoidkirb wrote:
06 Nov 2019
eris look good price wise they even do a bluetooth version which might be worth it...JBLs look horrendous ( to me) dont think i could stomach them in my like of sight haha
The 5" jbls are larger than the same Eris, and have a bit more bass response. Too much for my small room. In my humble opinion the Eris has a flatter/accurate sound. Really the best advice is to go to a physical store and listen to a few models before deciding. I'd be wary of Bluetooth, it might introduce latency.

xboix

08 Nov 2019

zoidkirb wrote:
08 Nov 2019
fretshot7 wrote:
08 Nov 2019

The 5" jbls are larger than the same Eris, and have a bit more bass response. Too much for my small room. In my humble opinion the Eris has a flatter/accurate sound. Really the best advice is to go to a physical store and listen to a few models before deciding. I'd be wary of Bluetooth, it might introduce latency.
Definitely definitely avoid Bluetooth for monitoring.

miyaru

08 Nov 2019

I have the Eris 8 speakers and they are really good for the price. My room is not to big and far from ideal, but I use Sonarworks Reference 4 studio to adjust the bad things in my room. That works fine! Presonus monitors are often underrated, but they are more then OK.

As far as BF goes, I started without discount by buying Reason 11 Suite and yesterday I bought Shove to control Reason from within a Ableton Push2....... Could not wait LOL.......
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

VariableX

08 Nov 2019

xboix wrote:
08 Nov 2019
zoidkirb wrote:
08 Nov 2019

Definitely definitely avoid Bluetooth for monitoring.
yep i agree, not for monitoring, but just for playing music from my phone etc... while coding.

michal788

11 Nov 2019

Jackjackdaw wrote:
07 Nov 2019
I'm hoping there will be a discount on R11 upgrade. If so, maybe suite? I really want Parsec 2. Also PX7, which i dont think is in suite? Kind of annoying.
I hope it so.
The suit looks great.

Skimrok

11 Nov 2019

I could be temped with R11 Suite if they do a deal for R10 users in mind
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

selig
RE Developer

11 Nov 2019

zoidkirb wrote:
08 Nov 2019

The 5" jbls are larger than the same Eris, and have a bit more bass response. Too much for my small room
Never understood the "too much for my small room" thinking with regards to bass. The only speakers that are "too much" for a small room are either a speaker with a long throw or a speaker that's physically too big for the space.
Even a speaker with too much power doesn't have to be run at full power.
But there's no such thing as a speaker with too much bass for a small room. By that reasoning, headphones don't need any low frequency response at all since they are working in the smallest room possible (your ear canals)!

Meaning, you still need full range monitors no matter the size of the room
Selig Audio, LLC

FLVZ

11 Nov 2019

selig wrote:
11 Nov 2019
zoidkirb wrote:
08 Nov 2019

The 5" jbls are larger than the same Eris, and have a bit more bass response. Too much for my small room
Never understood the "too much for my small room" thinking with regards to bass. The only speakers that are "too much" for a small room are either a speaker with a long throw or a speaker that's physically too big for the space.
But there's no such thing as a speaker with too much bass for a small room. By that reasoning, headphones don't need any low frequency response at all since they are working in the smallest room possible (your ear canals)!

I second this, I've reached the conclusion through life's anecdotes that the bigger the speaker the more detail you hear at lower volume and therefore less need to play at full pelt. I'd advise buying 6inch or higher and save yourself the thought of upgrading later on

VariableX

11 Nov 2019

selig wrote:
11 Nov 2019
zoidkirb wrote:
08 Nov 2019

yeah my room is kinda small and a weird shape haha
but like a guitar amp, whats the point of paying extra for more watts? when your room is too small to use them?

zoidkirb

11 Nov 2019

selig wrote:
11 Nov 2019
zoidkirb wrote:
08 Nov 2019

I have neighbors and sleeping infants etc to deal with. I've owned 8" monitors before. With the 5"s I find when listening at low levels I hear a better spread of frequencies. Just turning down the 8" didn't sound great and the temptation was constant to turn up which led to resonating through walls.
If I was commercially mixing or writing more edm or hiphip where sub bass is optimal I'd go a different path sure but at least I can reference my mixes on a large home stereo and if I wanna make the effort I can run tracks on some decent big p.a. Systems.

selig
RE Developer

12 Nov 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
11 Nov 2019

yeah my room is kinda small and a weird shape haha
but like a guitar amp, whats the point of paying extra for more watts? when your room is too small to use them?
Depends on the sound you want. Most folks want a low wattage amp so they can get distorted sounds easier. Higher wattages give a louder clean sound, which in this day and age doesn't make sense for any reason including a large arena (since the PA handles all sound level).

In short I can't think of any reason for a large wattage guitar amp…

BUT, for a monitor, more watts (to a point) gives you cleaner sound, which is definitely the goal with a studio monitor.
In most cases the amps these days are built into the speaker, but my point is about not wanting a broadband monitor because in my experience you always want your main monitor to be broadband (full range), no matter the size or shape of the room. Additional monitors such as Auratones are good for testing a mix, but not good for a main monitor IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

12 Nov 2019

zoidkirb wrote:
11 Nov 2019
I have neighbors and sleeping infants etc to deal with. I've owned 8" monitors before. With the 5"s I find when listening at low levels I hear a better spread of frequencies. Just turning down the 8" didn't sound great and the temptation was constant to turn up which led to resonating through walls.
If I was commercially mixing or writing more edm or hiphip where sub bass is optimal I'd go a different path sure but at least I can reference my mixes on a large home stereo and if I wanna make the effort I can run tracks on some decent big p.a. Systems.
Remember that sub bass frequencies are present in mixes that do not want sub bass, so you always want to hear EVERY frequency when mixing if just to know what you need to get rid of.
Flying blind is no fun when mixing…

And all 5" or 8" speaker do not sound the same - maybe you just preferred the particular model which may have had little to do with the size (maybe the 8" monitor simply sucked).
Bottom line, if it works for you and it's only for your own amusement, then ignore my comments and keep doing what's working!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

zoidkirb

12 Nov 2019

selig wrote:
12 Nov 2019
zoidkirb wrote:
11 Nov 2019
Remember that sub bass frequencies are present in mixes that do not want sub bass, so you always want to hear EVERY frequency when mixing if just to know what you need to get rid of.
Flying blind is no fun when mixing…

And all 5" or 8" speaker do not sound the same - maybe you just preferred the particular model which may have had little to do with the size (maybe the 8" monitor simply sucked).
Bottom line, if it works for you and it's only for your own amusement, then ignore my comments and keep doing what's working!
:)
can't disagree with any of that! still , at this time and place the 5"s are perfect. It's all about options though which I've got many eg. buy a sub, buy a whole new set of speakers in the future (with the low price i paid, that's a nice option to end up with 2 different references) , master and even tweak tracks elsewhere (ultimately mastering is better done by a different person on differnt mons in a different room anyway)
With my background in live sound engineering I've not struggled to get the sound i'm after, at least in the ballpark. What I'm really struggling with is actually completing a song or composition :redface:

moneykube

15 Nov 2019

hey... many companies early with this... hint... hint... calling rs
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Loque

15 Nov 2019

moneykube wrote:
15 Nov 2019
hey... many companies early with this... hint... hint... calling rs
Yea. If this continuous, we see BF starting in June in a few years...
Reason12, Win10

VIVIsect

15 Nov 2019

Just noticed that Kuassa has some black Friday sales up in the shop. Gonna have to grab Kratos 2 for $19.

seqoi

21 Nov 2019

Guys...can anyone recall were upgrades ever on BF sales? I have another license (Reason 9) which i might upgrade so i am curious do you happen to know that? Did they ever added Reason Upgrade packs on sale during BF?

I know it's even now pretty low (in my opinion) but you know it's BF and i would like to buy some RE's not just upgrade. So i need to save some money.

Regards

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2019

seqoi wrote:
21 Nov 2019
Guys...can anyone recall were upgrades ever on BF sales? I have another license (Reason 9) which i might upgrade so i am curious do you happen to know that? Did they ever added Reason Upgrade packs on sale during BF?

I know it's even now pretty low (in my opinion) but you know it's BF and i would like to buy some RE's not just upgrade. So i need to save some money.

Regards
Been known to go from €129 down to €99
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information