Never been a gamer - looking to get a cheap used console...

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Zac

10 Nov 2019

I'm thinking about treating myself to a 2nd hand games console but I've never been a gamer!

The only console I've ever had was a Wii which says it all really.

The only game I've ever completed was Wolfenstein 3d! I think I would mainly play driving games (not gangsta stuff) and flying/space etc, 1st person shoot em ups and maybe some sports games.

Don't want to spend more than about £70. So after briefly looking on ebay I could do with some advice because I'm not familiar with the iterations of xbox, sony etc. Help! :)

diminished
Competition Winner

10 Nov 2019

I'm not a console gamer but I have a SNES mini which comes with 20+ or so classic Nintendo games if you're into that. It's USB powered and super small, so no problem taking it with you when seeing friends or going on a trip.
I also have a pink Playstation 2 (Disney Sing Star Edition :D) that I bought for 80 bucks back in the days. It came with two dynamic mics of very decent quality, which I regularly use these days, unlike the console.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Bes
Competition Winner

10 Nov 2019

why not game on your computer? i'm not anti consoles, but with that budget i think you might enjoy spending it on a nice modern game and controller
- Certified Reason expert

Oquasec

10 Nov 2019

Nintendo handhelds, Xbox & Ps2/4.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

BRIGGS

10 Nov 2019

Any gaming PC should also run Reason well :puf_smile: ...but, at the end of the day, it's all about games.

:?: The games you want to play, should determine the gaming platform you decide on.
r11s

hurricane
Competition Winner

11 Nov 2019

I'd get a used PS3. Has a ton of excellent games, and like you, I am a big fan of racing games. The Motorstorm games are ridiculously fun and only available on PS3. Plus the PS3 plays PS1 games, and if you can find an OG fat 60GB or 20GB PS3, it will play PS1 AND PS2 games. And if you're into the retro thing, there's a Sega Genesis collection out there for it.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

reddust

11 Nov 2019

It depends a lot on which games you think you're going to play and how much you care about graphics. I personally own a Sony playstation 4 because I am a big fan of japanese culture and many games are exclusive to the playstation (and sometimes additionally for pc).

Most games are available for several consoles but some have an exclusivity contract with Sony or microsoft. Maybe you end up playing two or three games maximal, so if I were you I would first take a look at some gameplay videos on YouTube of games that you think you might like and see if they're available or one of the consoles you have in mind. The PS4 means a step forward on graphics if compared to the PS3 for example, and knowing that the PS5 is going to come out next year the price of used PS4's might go down as many players might get rid of their current PS4, but that would be next year most surely...

What I want to say is, if you care about good graphics I'd rather go for a used PS4 or Xbox. There are games like Red Dead Redemption 2 that have stunning graphics and are really fun to play just by exploring their worlds and watching landscapes. If you don't care that much about graphics then a cheaper or older console might be your best choice.

hurricane
Competition Winner

11 Nov 2019

PS4 is great, but he said he wants to spend less than £70.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

fullforce

11 Nov 2019

hurricane wrote:
11 Nov 2019
Exactly. A PS3 would be an excellent choice.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Periwinkle

11 Nov 2019

If you want to play Nintendo games like mario or Zelda, it’s worth noting that these will only run on Nintendo consoles. If (like me) you’re into retro gaming, you can run a hell of a lot of old games for free using an emulator. You can also pick up old n64s, GameCube and Wiis for very little money. However, if you’re more into FPS, this is probably not the way to go.

.“Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.”

― Banksy

VariableX

11 Nov 2019

fullforce wrote:
11 Nov 2019
hurricane wrote:
11 Nov 2019
Exactly. A PS3 would be an excellent choice.
Yep I still use my PS3, but i'd avoid the gen1 one, did it not have a massive brick for its power adaptor? Cant remember now its been such a long time i've had mine I don't know if its gen1 or 2. Games are super cheap and graphics are great on an HD tv.

Zac

11 Nov 2019

Good stuff, thanks, very useful.

I remember lusting after Gran Turismo years ago so that is pushing me towards PS as well. The ps4 is very aesthetically pleasing too. I'll see what ebay has to offer...

ShelLuser

11 Nov 2019

Personally I'd get a Steam account and grab a few nice games from here. Patience is a virtue, if you focus on Steam sales you can get some really interesting steals from time to time. Of course you would need a good Internet connection to download your stuff and probably a decent HD to store said stuff as well :)
--- :reason:

fullforce

12 Nov 2019

Zac wrote:
11 Nov 2019

I remember lusting after Gran Turismo years ago so that is pushing me towards PS as well. The ps4 is very aesthetically pleasing too. I'll see what ebay has to offer...
PS3 is cheap with a huge backcatalog, more than you could ever play in a lifetime I'd say. If you could get a good deal you'll get a PS3 (with harddisk), 2 controllers and a bunch of games for like $100.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Zac

19 Nov 2019

fullforce wrote:
12 Nov 2019
Zac wrote:
11 Nov 2019

PS3 is cheap with a huge backcatalog, more than you could ever play in a lifetime I'd say. If you could get a good deal you'll get a PS3 (with harddisk), 2 controllers and a bunch of games for like $100.
I've decided on a ps3 and I'm looking on ebay. The main choices seem to be on hard drive size and chunky vs slim.

I'd prefer a slim but don't know what size hd I'll need. Is it for storing games or just additional game data? I don't want to pay more than i need to. Would a 40gb be ok?

Also, will they play blu-ray films?

reddust

20 Nov 2019

Zac wrote:
19 Nov 2019
fullforce wrote:
12 Nov 2019

I've decided on a ps3 and I'm looking on ebay. The main choices seem to be on hard drive size and chunky vs slim.

I'd prefer a slim but don't know what size hd I'll need. Is it for storing games or just additional game data? I don't want to pay more than i need to. Would a 40gb be ok?

it depends, you can save games on the internal hard drive if you buy the downloadable version. The DVD version of the game will still need to install some data but not as much as if you get the downloadable version of the game. I can't remember how much the for a hdd capacity did my old ps3 need, 40gb sounds like too little to me but maybe I'm wrong... and yes, they play blue-ray too

Zac

20 Nov 2019

reddust wrote:
20 Nov 2019
Zac wrote:
19 Nov 2019

it depends, you can save games on the internal hard drive if you buy the downloadable version. The DVD version of the game will still need to install some data but not as much as if you get the downloadable version of the game. I can't remember how much the for a hdd capacity did my old ps3 need, 40gb sounds like too little to me but maybe I'm wrong... and yes, they play blue-ray too
Thanks :) I bought a 40gb ps3 for £37 including postage if it turns out to be genuine. I read the hds are easy enough to update if needed. Also bought 3 games separately :)

diminished
Competition Winner

20 Nov 2019

Zac wrote:
20 Nov 2019
reddust wrote:
20 Nov 2019

Thanks :) I bought a 40gb ps3 for £37 including postage if it turns out to be genuine. I read the hds are easy enough to update if needed. Also bought 3 games separately :)
Nice :D
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

reddust

20 Nov 2019

Zac wrote:
20 Nov 2019
reddust wrote:
20 Nov 2019

cool, too bad the ps4 isn't backwards compatible to play together online one day, have fun with it... btw, I'm playing some nice rhythm games lately, they can be quite a challenge even as a musician, this one is a demo for one of them available on ps3 as well:
https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/pro ... 3PRPRTRIAL

don't let the cover fool you, the game is quite challenging, I'm playing it on mid difficulty and my scores are around 60% to 70%

ortxedys

22 Nov 2019

Im not going to get into the whole legality of it.. But look into emulation and roms. If you have an android phone, imo, its the most efficient way to run most emulation. But most modern systems will run up to PS1 at 60 fps. Its a good way to scratch that itch at no cost (minus some sort of gamepad).

Otherwise, gamestop and a used console are your best friend. I have a modern console but still emulate a lot simply because of the sheer amount of games at my disposal. Also, a wired xbox 360 controller is the most accessible "gamepad" there is. Gamestop has those as well..

• Information