White Sea Studio Does Reason Comp Blind Comparison

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Periwinkle

09 Nov 2019

.“Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.”

― Banksy

Kalm

09 Nov 2019

Just watched, the results are extremely close but there is a difference in the low bass extension and release curves
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

reggie1979

09 Nov 2019

White sea is shit. Who cares what this dope believes?

Goriila Texas

10 Nov 2019

I guarantee you each first file was Reason no other compressor sounds like that. I'd be completely shocked if I'm wrong.

Loque

10 Nov 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
09 Nov 2019
White sea is shit. Who cares what this dope believes?
Well, in this case he didn't believe anything...
Reason12, Win10

Ermitage

10 Nov 2019

Such tests are just pointless. We're getting what, 5 seconds audio snippets? You might be able to discern some characteristics from that, but it's hard to make any assessment without versions of the whole song processed by the individual compressors.

Loque

10 Nov 2019

Ermitage wrote:
10 Nov 2019
Such tests are just pointless. We're getting what, 5 seconds audio snippets? You might be able to discern some characteristics from that, but it's hard to make any assessment without versions of the whole song processed by the individual compressors.
Ofc it's pointless. He also asked what you like most and not what is best emulation.

But hey, could be interesting to see what ppl are liking. Maybe they identify the well known Reason sound 😂🤣
Reason12, Win10

gullum

10 Nov 2019

a compressor test on a platform that is adding compression to the video, so it may actually compress the better sounding to sound worse than the worse sounding. Making it the best way to prove the worse way to do bad tests on good comparison that get ruined by what could be good. to make things better no one is listing on same devices. so in my headphones it will not sound the same as in my monitors.

He is only hoping for a pad on his shoulder on his DIY compressor

Ermitage

10 Nov 2019

Loque wrote:
10 Nov 2019
Ofc it's pointless. He also asked what you like most and not what is best emulation.

But hey, could be interesting to see what ppl are liking. Maybe they identify the well known Reason sound 😂🤣
That's the thing, though. Whether you like a snippet doesn't matter. That 5 seconds might sound nice but could be less interesting over the course of the whole song.

If he could at least provide some measurements of THD and whatnot then it could be a bit more interesting. All I get from this is that both compressors work as intended and that isn't exactly riveting information.

Periwinkle

10 Nov 2019

@reggie1979
Thank you for your articulate contribution.
However, it appears that Props reached out to White Sea and provided a free copy of Reason for testing, so it may be that they give a shit.

Whether we like it or not, influencers now play an important role in a persons decision to purchase things, particularly online digital products. This guy has over 62, 000 subscribers, most of who fall into the key demographic for this product. The review could potentially lead to increased popularity for the product and that increased profit could (at least in part) translate into product development.

These things are seldom as happenstance as they first appear, and may, in fact, be a contrivance of the marketing department.

.“Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.”

― Banksy

Kalm

10 Nov 2019

I mean if it upsets you guys who are upset in this post then go do your own. Sheesh. Second of all audio is going to run through a codec anyways so this still hold at least a couple grams of weight. But saying its pointless basically means all tests through a YouTube codec is pointless which literally denounces your statement. Let people live, let White Sea do what people asked, and let listeners just learn to hear differences between two compressors.

And if you honestly need more than 5 seconds to discern a difference in two processing periods then ear training buddy. This wasn't a test of which is better. There compressors for crying out loud
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Ermitage

10 Nov 2019

Kalm wrote:
10 Nov 2019
I mean if it upsets you guys who are upset in this post then go do your own. Sheesh. Second of all audio is going to run through a codec anyways so this still hold at least a couple grams of weight. But saying its pointless basically means all tests through a YouTube codec is pointless which literally denounces your statement. Let people live, let White Sea do what people asked, and let listeners just learn to hear differences between two compressors.

And if you honestly need more than 5 seconds to discern a difference in two processing periods then ear training buddy. This wasn't a test of which is better. There compressors for crying out loud
What is it a test of then? As Periwinkle pointed out this is nothing but an advertisement.

Kalm

10 Nov 2019

Ermitage wrote:
10 Nov 2019
Kalm wrote:
10 Nov 2019

What is it a test of then? As Periwinkle pointed out this is nothing but an advertisement.
Yes it is but if you listen there is a difference but showing that difference is supremely small. This gives Reason users or those switching to move to Reason the confidence that out of the box we have an amazing sounding compressor (which those of us who use Reason already know) AND, due to Props doing the Reason VST, it comes with it standard in the Reason 11 collection for anyone wants an SSL channel strip bundle. Yes it's advertisement but its mutual gains on consumer and seller end.

chaosroyale

10 Nov 2019

ITT: people who don't know what the fuck they are talking about criticizing a professional mastering engineer for comparing two very similar compressors in an advertisement intended to show that the software sounds very close to the hardware, which it does successfully.

joeyluck

10 Nov 2019

gullum wrote:
10 Nov 2019
a compressor test on a platform that is adding compression to the video, so it may actually compress the better sounding to sound worse than the worse sounding. Making it the best way to prove the worse way to do bad tests on good comparison that get ruined by what could be good. to make things better no one is listing on same devices. so in my headphones it will not sound the same as in my monitors.

I haven't watched the full video yet, only the intro...

But in the end, isn't that what you ultimately are mixing and mastering for? For your music to be listened to by people in a multitude of ways on different devices? Though it would be nice to hear the comparisons presented on additional platforms like Soundcloud and download as well, just as another layer to see if listeners can not only tell the difference between A & B on YouTube, but if they can then match their selections on Soundcloud and direct download.

My question is how important is this particular comparison? Reason's Master Bus Compressor versus a homemade compressor?

gullum

10 Nov 2019

joeyluck wrote:
10 Nov 2019
gullum wrote:
10 Nov 2019

But in the end, isn't that what you ultimately are mixing and mastering for? For your music to be listened to by people in a multitude of ways on different devices? Though it would be nice to hear the comparisons presented on additional platforms like Soundcloud and download as well, just as another layer to see if listeners can not only tell the difference between A & B on YouTube, but if they can then match their selections on Soundcloud and direct download.

My question is how important is this particular comparison? Reason's Master Bus Compressor versus a homemade compressor?
True but my point being that as some mentioned it seam to add better compression on bass in one example, but on a set of headphones that are heavy on bass that might make it sound worse. it even may be that the exact reason he thinks it is adding more compression to the bass

gullum

10 Nov 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
10 Nov 2019
ITT: people who don't know what the fuck they are talking about criticizing a professional mastering engineer for comparing two very similar compressors in an advertisement intended to show that the software sounds very close to the hardware, which it does successfully.
heheh and yet every week millions of people are criticizing professional football players for their effort on the pitch :D

guitfnky

10 Nov 2019

this particular video doesn’t seem too bad, but this guy is sort of known for putting out poorly-considered videos. and he talks like he knows his shit—he probably does, but if some of his other videos are any indication, he should stop presenting his “findings” as fact, when he’s not willing or able to do proper testing.

also, he’s annoying AF. 😆
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

joeyluck

10 Nov 2019

gullum wrote:
10 Nov 2019
joeyluck wrote:
10 Nov 2019

True but my point being that as some mentioned it seam to add better compression on bass in one example, but on a set of headphones that are heavy on bass that might make it sound worse. it even may be that the exact reason he thinks it is adding more compression to the bass
Gotcha. Well I would think those who are to listen critically will do so using a few methods, including studio monitors.

But that raises an interesting question... Who listening is most important? I'd love to see someone do a similar comparison (maybe with an example using less effects or cheaper options) with a vote, and have the voters also note whether they are engineers and/or musicians, or just fans of listening to music. I'd be interested in the opinion of each, and particularly those who are only listeners of music, who make up the majority of consumers of music. Many who are listening on headphones.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

10 Nov 2019

guitfnky wrote:
10 Nov 2019
this particular video doesn’t seem too bad, but this guy is sort of known for putting out poorly-considered videos. and he talks like he knows his shit—he probably does, but if some of his other videos are any indication, he should stop presenting his “findings” as fact, when he’s not willing or able to do proper testing.

It's a particularly moronic video actually: he's running a "blind test" yet describing perceived differences which inevitably creates biases in supposed blind test subjects (e.g.,it's the fallacy of the expert/argument from authority: "well, he must be an expert because he's got a YouTube channel, and he says he can hear a difference, therefore I can't be seen to be stupid in front of my peers and must therefore acknowledge a difference too!"). Like all poor vloggers, he likes the sound of his own voice a little too much and he doesn't know when to shut up and let people decide for themselves.

"I got a Reason Studios license... Reason... What's it called?" Great promo, a finely-considered target! Well done!

bxbrkrz

10 Nov 2019

This test should be A Vs B or C. 'A' without the compressors ON.
imho.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Ermitage

11 Nov 2019

JiggeryPokery wrote:
10 Nov 2019
guitfnky wrote:
10 Nov 2019

It's a particularly moronic video actually: he's running a "blind test" yet describing perceived differences which inevitably creates biases in supposed blind test subjects (e.g.,it's the fallacy of the expert/argument from authority: "well, he must be an expert because he's got a YouTube channel, and he says he can hear a difference, therefore I can't be seen to be stupid in front of my peers and must therefore acknowledge a difference too!"). Like all poor vloggers, he likes the sound of his own voice a little too much and he doesn't know when to shut up and let people decide for themselves.

"I got a Reason Studios license... Reason... What's it called?" Great promo, a finely-considered target! Well done!
Still, better advertising than having some 808 arranger giving pro tips about how to create beatzzz™ that benzo-addicted retards can flow to.

Heigen5

11 Nov 2019

I watched the video. Well based on my ears the first clip had a more edgy sound while the second clip sounded softer. I preferred the softer sounding one because the edgy sound always hurts the ears in the long term. My guess is that the first clip is Reason, and only because based on my experience, as this edgy sound has been present in my mixing in Reason, while I have zero experience about the hardware SSL. Welp, would like to know the results.

PhillipOrdonez

11 Nov 2019

A1 B2 B3

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

11 Nov 2019

bxbrkrz wrote:
10 Nov 2019
This test should be A Vs B or C. 'A' without the compressors ON.
imho.
Exactly this, so you get raw vs comp1 vs comp2. Else you're comparing comp1 vs comp2 without being able to successfully determine the actual effect applied.

Comp1 might sound better than Comp2, but when vs the original raw Comp1 might be compressing too much and has a hair louder dB because of the response of the compressor.

• Information