Unstable balance in windows 10

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
exxx

22 May 2018

Periodically, balance is not recognized on Windows 10.

I have to reboot or reinstall the driver every time.

Is there a balance user who solved this problem?

ps. There is a problem with the propeller head's attitude toward loyal customers.

EnochLight

23 May 2018

exxx wrote:
22 May 2018

ps. There is a problem with the propeller head's attitude toward loyal customers.
Balance is a discontinued product that was EOL'd years ago, so I'm not sure what sort of support you're expecting from Propellerhead. It was made when Windows 7 was still a thing (Windows 8 came out over a year after it was released to market), so the fact that it runs at all on Windows 10 is pretty lucky.

The last time I used mine (on Windows 10), I had success when using it only on a USB 2.0 port, and it would lose connection anytime I restarted Windows or woke from standby. Can't remember ever having to constantly re-install the Balance driver, though. Are you using it on a USB 2.0 port?

It's possible your hardware finally died... :(
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

generalche

24 May 2018

I had a similar experience to EnochLight - my Balance will only work when plugged into a USB2 port.

That said, since it's been plugged in, I haven't had any problems at all, and it has been working perfectly with Windows 10 (plus updates) ever since.

djadalaide

24 May 2018

Ok, i have the same problem but instead of rebooting i just unplug the device and plug it back in - after a few seconds it works.

Every time i boot the machine it does not work straight away.

Dabbler

24 May 2018

djadalaide wrote:
24 May 2018
Ok, i have the same problem but instead of rebooting i just unplug the device and plug it back in - after a few seconds it works.

Every time i boot the machine it does not work straight away.
^ This - I do the same thing with my Fast Track Pro

pushedbutton

24 May 2018

I still use a Ballance. If I don't 'power cycle' it before launching reason it doesn't work properly then I get a BSOD when I exit Reason.
As long as I remember to unplug it and plug it back in before I open Reason it works ok. Unless I'm recording vocals, in which case I have to hammer on the phantom power button a random amount of times before the signal becomes stable.
All in all it's a piece of shit to get working but once it works it does the job and the built in preamps sound nice. 10/10 Would kick down the stairs again.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

jlgrimes

24 May 2018

exxx wrote:
22 May 2018

It's discontinued so they probably messed up the compatibility.

Probably time for a new interface.

The Scarlett series seems pretty good.

exxx

27 May 2018

All friends.

It took me a long time to understand and reply while I was not in English.

I'm sorry.

Thanks for the advice. I still have not solved it yet.

Bigsby

27 May 2018

I'm on an HP z420 workstation with Balance running Win 10. As previously mentioned, use a USB 2.0 port. Also, it seems after more recent Windows updates, I have to unplug and plug the USB cable in order to get the Balance ASIO drivers showing up in Reason and working. I plan on using Balance until it craps out completely! It sounds great with Sennheiser HD600 headphones.

Pablobrad

08 Nov 2019

Balance WILL work stably, as long as you pull the USB cable out of its rear then plug it straight back in again after booting into your pc. Simple

EnochLight

08 Nov 2019

Pablobrad wrote:
08 Nov 2019
Balance WILL work stably, as long as you pull the USB cable out of its rear then plug it straight back in again after booting into your pc. Simple
Maybe on YOUR machine, but on mine - that is not the case.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2019

EnochLight wrote:
08 Nov 2019
Pablobrad wrote:
08 Nov 2019
Hahahahahahahahahahaha.
I don't even have to unplug mine. Best interface ever. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

BananaSkins

08 Nov 2019

Funny how people still use old sound card interfaces with no problems and some people have problems.

On one of my studio PC's I'm still running the superb EMU 1820m sound card / audio dock alongside the great RME Baby Face Pro perfectly!
Two fantastic Soundcards with the added bonus of having the Emu PatchMix & RME TotalMix FX software at my disposal; which I can link up in all sorts of scenarios. (Happy Days :thumbs_up: )

kitekrazy

08 Nov 2019

BananaSkins wrote:
08 Nov 2019
Funny how people still use old sound card interfaces with no problems and some people have problems.

On one of my studio PC's I'm still running the superb EMU 1820m sound card / audio dock alongside the great RME Baby Face Pro perfectly!
Two fantastic Soundcards with the added bonus of having the Emu PatchMix & RME TotalMix FX software at my disposal; which I can link up in all sorts of scenarios. (Happy Days :thumbs_up: )
All of my M-Audio stuff still works. Unfortunately the next system upgrade will probably not have PCI slots. Who'd ever thought in the previous decade a $149 card would get that much mileage. My first card was a Yamaha SW1000XG at $500. If I had a crystal ball I would have bought a RME Hammerfal. Those things are still in use and supported. Never buy an audio interface from a company known for software.

fullforce

09 Nov 2019

BananaSkins wrote:
08 Nov 2019
I use a Focusrite Saffire PRO14, it's almost 10 years old. Works like a charm, never fails. My current computer does not have onboard FireWire but with a PCI card (as long as it has a TI chip on it) it's going strong as ever.

Can't believe that Balance was abandoned so quickly and that you can't even use it to authorize anymore. A big middle finger to the loyal customers.

Having said that, maybe a USB addon card (2.0) will do the trick, for the Balance.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Nov 2019

fullforce wrote:
09 Nov 2019

Can't believe that Balance was abandoned so quickly
Yeah. That. I can't believe it either.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

miyaru

09 Nov 2019

I have an aging Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 - with Firewire. I have an Ti equipted pci card for Firewire, and it works like a charm.
IfI would be real rich I would buy an Antelope Interface but he, I'm not rich......... :roll:
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

fullforce

09 Nov 2019

miyaru wrote:
09 Nov 2019
I have an aging Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 - with Firewire. I have an Ti equipted pci card for Firewire, and it works like a charm.
IfI would be real rich I would buy an Antelope Interface but he, I'm not rich......... :roll:
Seriously though, I was looking at interfaces today and was like "well what does this thing do that my PRO14 can't do?". The answer was in most cases, nothing, or maybe even LESS. Aside from more inputs, which I really do not need.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

miyaru

09 Nov 2019

yes, that is true,,,,,,,,, But there is always nice stuff out there........
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

EnochLight

09 Nov 2019

MrFigg wrote:
08 Nov 2019
EnochLight wrote:
08 Nov 2019

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.
On Windows 10? Come on, man... Try placing your computer on standby or restarting. You mean to tell me Balance works fine without any issues at all? What version of Windows are you on?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Nov 2019

EnochLight wrote:
09 Nov 2019
MrFigg wrote:
08 Nov 2019

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.
On Windows 10? Come on, man... Try placing your computer on standby or restarting. You mean to tell me Balance works fine without any issues at all? What version of Windows are you on?
Windows 10. Really. Honestly man. The only glitch I have is having to select the Balance Audio Driver in preferences when I open Reason for the first time. Other than that it works just the same as it did in Windows 7.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

dannyF

27 Apr 2020

I may have a solution for windows 10 users and balance.

Try using a different USB cable. I just used one I got from amazon. 'amazon brand' and no more disconnects

rgdaniel

27 Apr 2020

dannyF wrote:
27 Apr 2020
Try using a different USB cable. I just used one I got from amazon. 'amazon brand' and no more disconnects
Interesting... Last time I bought an Amazon brand USB cable I had to send it back... didn't connect at all...
but "try a new or different cable" is always excellent advice, in general...

loopeydoug

28 Apr 2020

I got a Windows 10 machine recently and the only issue I have is that Balance won't run Reason audio and another program's audio at the same time anymore, without lowering the pitch of the secondary audio. Using original cable, USB 2.0.

dannyF

28 Apr 2020

loopeydoug wrote:
28 Apr 2020
I got a Windows 10 machine recently and the only issue I have is that Balance won't run Reason audio and another program's audio at the same time anymore, without lowering the pitch of the secondary audio. Using original cable, USB 2.0.
couldn't hurt by swapping the cable like I did. It worked for me.

• Information