SoedeSoft - SIDmaster testers needed

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
soedesoft

09 Nov 2019

Hi all,

I developed a rack extension that emulates the SID soundchip of the Commodore 64 home computer of the 90s, which I want to place in the reason store.

That chip had it's limitations but was famous for its sound. I was making music in those days as well on the C64 (with my brother and our own music routine). So I added some of those algorithms which I used at the time to get the most out of the SID chip.

The SID has filters, ring modulation and synchronisation effects that can be used between it's 3 voices, where one voice can serve as an oscillator for the other.

There's a manual describing how to use the plugin, and a website already as well, so go to https://www.soedesoft.com and listen to some demo tunes if you're curious how it sounds.

If you're interested in testing it as a beta tester, let me know,

Michiel
from SoedeSoft

eusti

09 Nov 2019

PM sent.

D.

Faastwalker

09 Nov 2019

Nice. Have a real soft spot for the C64. My first computer aged 11. Hopefully this Re can do all the cool little percussive blips & percussive noises.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Nov 2019

Yes I'd like to be a beta tester.
It's been a while since I wrote some chip tunes.
I just sent you a PM.

miyaru

09 Nov 2019

Never had a C64, had the type before that the 16....... But the sounds your plugin provides are awesome I must say!!!!!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

olive6741

09 Nov 2019

Great! Commodore 64 was my first computer and it was just before I get my first synth... I remember I was very impressed by what the Sid was achieving on this computer at that time. Sounds and songs in game were very nice, they had a specific 'personnality' for sure.

PM sent

fullforce

09 Nov 2019

Oh hell yeah! PM sent!

*edit*

One question though, does it run on Reason 10?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Marc64

09 Nov 2019

PM sent

Have made sids in the 80's and some new these days so this will be interesting :)

soedesoft

10 Nov 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
09 Nov 2019
Nice. Have a real soft spot for the C64. My first computer aged 11. Hopefully this Re can do all the cool little percussive blips & percussive noises.
It has some of the percussive blips and noises as presets (not fully programmable though, but I might make a SID drummer one day :)).

soedesoft

10 Nov 2019

fullforce wrote:
09 Nov 2019
Oh hell yeah! PM sent!

*edit*

It runs on reason 10 and 11. Not on 9 or older though as I used the most recent version of the developer kit.

fullforce

11 Nov 2019

soedesoft wrote:
10 Nov 2019
fullforce wrote:
09 Nov 2019
Oh hell yeah! PM sent!

*edit*

It runs on reason 10 and 11. Not on 9 or older though as I used the most recent version of the developer kit.
Awesome. Can't wait to try it out. Love the SID. Hubbard = God.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Catblack

11 Nov 2019

PM sent! I used to have a C64 back in the day. I remember a little bit of programming it, typing in programs from computer magazines. Which we started doing for the VIC-20. I remember Music Construction Set and composing on that, and even running GEOS (?) when it came out.

I never realized how special the SID chip was until later. Years ahead of it's time! I've been looking into doing a hardware build based around the SID perhaps, though I've heard that the chips are near impossible to find now.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

bitley

11 Nov 2019

[ The inventors of the SID, I believe Bob Yannes and a few others later moved on to form Ensoniq creating the Mirage sampler, the ESQ-1 and more stuff ] Wikipedia has much more info of course. Anyway - cool stuff. There's also a wonderful SID "Workstation" for the iPad. Computing in the 80's was very different - and often more of a wow factor as the discoveries happened then and there only, they weren't something that everyone had on the bus ;)

dioxide

12 Nov 2019

fullforce wrote:
11 Nov 2019
Awesome. Can't wait to try it out. Love the SID. Hubbard = God.
Bit of a side note to the thread, but if I recall correctly Rob Hubbard did a demo for an earlier version of Reason.

fullforce

12 Nov 2019

Catblack wrote:
11 Nov 2019
I never realized how special the SID chip was until later. Years ahead of it's time! I've been looking into doing a hardware build based around the SID perhaps, though I've heard that the chips are near impossible to find now.
Not really, just get a second hand C64. :) Also, there's new versions out there, with stereo sound among other things.

fullforce

12 Nov 2019

dioxide wrote:
12 Nov 2019
Bit of a side note to the thread, but if I recall correctly Rob Hubbard did a demo for an earlier version of Reason.
Yeah, that was Reason 4 I think. Amazing track and an amazing demo.

balloonhead

14 Nov 2019

hell yeah, always looking for a good SID Emulation but never found one so I want to be a beta tester too. By the way I love your Remix of Star Paws made in i think 2000 or even older. It got me back to the remixes.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 Nov 2019

So when does the beta testing start?

I'm looking forward to just dig in and write some music with this thing. It's been a while since I wrote some chiptunes now. It's time :)

aeox
Competition Winner

16 Nov 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
16 Nov 2019

I'm looking forward to just dig in and write some music with this thing. It's been a while since I wrote some chiptunes now. It's time :)
Looking forward to hearing them

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 Nov 2019

aeox wrote:
16 Nov 2019
TritoneAddiction wrote:
16 Nov 2019

Thanks.

Just started with a couple of ideas this morning. Using the Chip64 synth as a placeholder for SIDmaster.
There's only two tracks at the moment: melody/chords and bass, with zero effects. So it's very basic. We'll see if it develops into a full track later on.

fullforce

16 Nov 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
16 Nov 2019
aeox wrote:
16 Nov 2019

Thanks.

Just started with a couple of ideas this morning. Using the Chip64 synth as a placeholder for SIDmaster.
There's only two tracks at the moment: melody/chords and bass, with zero effects. So it's very basic. We'll see if it develops into a full track later on.

Chip64 is pretty bad ass but this thing looks way better interface wise.

• Information