What are your three favourite free VSTs?

Discuss VST stuff here!
ShelLuser

06 Nov 2019

In no particular order...
  • Kairatune; a very spiffy little synth which can provide some really interesting sounds & sound scapes.
  • TAL Elek7ro; analog synth with some very specific features like oscillator syncing.
  • Reaktor player; from N.I., I've had tons of fun with several Reaktor based instruments but in the end it was the player VST which accommodated all that ;)
--- :reason:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Nov 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
06 Nov 2019
  • Kairatune; a very spiffy little synth which can provide some really interesting sounds & sound scapes.
Thanks. Didn’t know about that one either. I’ll check it out. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ksniod

06 Nov 2019

MrFigg wrote:
06 Nov 2019
ShelLuser wrote:
06 Nov 2019
I like it
Last edited by ksniod on 07 Nov 2019, edited 1 time in total.

littlejam

07 Nov 2019

hello @ dhuran,

i grabbed hysteresis and fracture
installed the dlls on windows 7 into the correct vst folder
however, both vsti don't show up

any advice please?

can you tell me what folder your 64bit dlls are located please

great find

also grabbed the project sam free orchestra libraries and kairatune

mahalos,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

ShelLuser

07 Nov 2019

MrFigg wrote:
06 Nov 2019
Nice! Say, could you do me a favor? If you do try it out could you drop me a line on how much you liked or hated it? I don't mind either way but I would definitely appreciate the feedback. There's always something new to learn :cool:
--- :reason:

adfielding

08 Nov 2019

Adam Szabo's Phazor is really neat. I always figured the Virus had a particularly distinctive phaser effect, so it's nice to have an emulation in free VST form.
https://www.adamszabo.com/phazor/

Izotope Imager is a good one for stereo widening, I tend not to rely too heavily on stereo widening effects if I can but this has been pretty useful.
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/ozone-imager.html

Spitfire LABs is a great freebie, the instruments aren't super deep in performance possibilities but what's there by-and-large sounds great. Plus, y'know, it's free.
https://www.spitfireaudio.com/labs

tbh I don't tend to use a lot of free VSTs, but those three get pretty regular use here at the moment. If we're counting Reaktor ensembles then I'm a fan of Rudioz & Drox for percussion-mangling and glitchy stuff, especially when you chuck some custom loops in there... but I get that's probably a bit contentious as neither Reaktor or MicroTonic are free!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
07 Nov 2019
MrFigg wrote:
06 Nov 2019
Nice! Say, could you do me a favor? If you do try it out could you drop me a line on how much you liked or hated it? I don't mind either way but I would definitely appreciate the feedback. There's always something new to learn :cool:
Absolutely. I’ll get back to you.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

retreed
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2019

Voxengo MSED (I like it more than other free stereo imager tools)

GVST Gclip (There is a huge amount of VST clippers and there is also an RE version of this, but it's good and gets used in every project.)

PG-8X (I thnk an instrument should be in the Top 3 and there are some nice VST synths availble, but for me PG-8X wins.)
Last edited by retreed on 08 Nov 2019, edited 2 times in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
07 Nov 2019
MrFigg wrote:
06 Nov 2019
Some pretty cool sounds in there. Round and warm.
On a lot of the presets I'm getting a Legato effect which I'd like to be able to switch off but I can't find the button (is there one?)
Also on some of the presets...eg. Lead: Snake Charmin, the volume intermittently jumps up to double of what it started at.
Is this VST something you made?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2019

My favorites have already been listed, but here are some special mentions:

VstSpeek3, LoudMax64, Crystal soft synth, Molot, The free Klanghelm ones, Helm, RoughRider, Tunefish, Luftikus, Melda Autopitch, TDR Labs Proximity, Voxengo Oldschoolverb, Xfer OTT, StoneVoices AmbientReverb
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

theshoemaker

08 Nov 2019

VCVRack, And when v2 releases I'll buy it for the VST. For me by far the best software modular system. The more I use it the better it gets.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

VIVIsect

08 Nov 2019

diminished wrote:
08 Nov 2019
StoneVoices AmbientReverb
Heh I actually just grabbed this one a few days ago because I was looking for a cheap/free reverb with a "freeze" function to use in Reason.

One of my all-time favorite freebies is ValhallaDSP's Valhalla Freq Echo. It's glorious. https://valhalladsp.com/shop/delay/valhalla-freq-echo/

• Information