Wavesfactory Cassette - It's Gorgeous

Discuss VST stuff here!
guitfnky

06 Nov 2019

geez, this thing sounds great too. super-versatile, and as warm or nasty as you want it to be.

I tried maxing all the settings (hey, I'm a guitarist--it's what we do), and that...was a bad idea. :lol: it seems like it can eat some CPU if you push it hard, but it also seems like you can get some really insane stuff going on without going that far.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Nov 2019

guitfnky wrote:
06 Nov 2019

I tried maxing all the settings (hey, I'm a guitarist--it's what we do)
Hahaha. I’ve used the phrase “I’m a guitarist” on this forum a lot. It would appear that as a group that’s something we also do :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jesusginard

07 Nov 2019

reddust wrote:
06 Nov 2019
diminished wrote:
05 Nov 2019
Took it for a demo run.
There are two or three things nagging me.
First of all, in the config page you have to drag the slider, you can't click on the position you want it to be. Secondly, the "random snap" feature is in no way controllable or automatable or sequencable, which is a very cool effect on its own. Tape glitches that could be used like vinyl scratching in a rhythmical fashion. There is also no tape stop effect.. gah! C'mon the tech is already there!

Edit: I want some sort of fusion plugin between U-He Satin and this one, with features taken from Glitch RE et al., please.
I second this petition, I hope some of the Wavesfactory devs or CEO's is reading this thread :)
Hey! It's Jesús from Wavesfactory.

1. I can easily add that feature in the next update.
2. You're right, random snap is not controllable, it's pure random. Maybe not for Cassette but for a plug-in on its own in which you have different tape/vinyl glitches in a sequencer. It would be nice!
3. Funny that you mention tape stop. Coming soon:

Thank you guys for the nice comments about Cassette! :)

xboix

07 Nov 2019

guitfnky wrote:
05 Nov 2019
xboix wrote:
05 Nov 2019
I guess I'm the only one who thinks cassette emulations are pointless gimmicks. :thumbs_down:
why?
Because most of the audio artefacts you got from cassettes were undesirable and not good to the ear. It's just a bit of a fad at present. There are nicer ways to degrade your sounds.

Ottostrom

07 Nov 2019

I wanna share a technique you can use to make the Klevgrand RE a bit less shitty.
So we already know you can't use the dry/wet knob on this thing without ruining the sound, but we CAN use the gains to dial in the effect.

In my example I first play the guitar part through a Klevgrand with the input & output gain at 0db. The second part uses the exact same settings but I have the input gain down to -43db, and output at 23db. Now since the output gain doesn't go high enough I've also placed a Selig gain right after to boost up the signal to my desired level. A fairly pleasant sound if you ask me! :)

(it's worth noting that I could not get anywhere near as clean of a signal by just dialing down the different effects)

aeox
Competition Winner

07 Nov 2019

Ottostrom wrote:
07 Nov 2019
I wanna share a technique you can use to make the Klevgrand RE a bit less shitty.
So we already know you can't use the dry/wet knob on this thing without ruining the sound, but we CAN use the gains to dial in the effect.

In my example I first play the guitar part through a Klevgrand with the input & output gain at 0db. The second part uses the exact same settings but I have the input gain down to -43db, and output at 23db. Now since the output gain doesn't go high enough I've also placed a Selig gain right after to boost up the signal to my desired level. A fairly pleasant sound if you ask me! :)

(it's worth noting that I could not get anywhere near as clean of a signal by just dialing down the different effects)
That's what I've been doing too :D

Ottostrom

07 Nov 2019

aeox wrote:
07 Nov 2019
That's what I've been doing too :D
I only recently realized how much you can change the behavior of plugins with input/output gain!
Feels like a whole new world has opened up (and I also feel dumb for not trying it out sooner lol).

adfielding

07 Nov 2019

xboix wrote:
07 Nov 2019
guitfnky wrote:
05 Nov 2019

why?
Because most of the audio artefacts you got from cassettes were undesirable and not good to the ear. It's just a bit of a fad at present. There are nicer ways to degrade your sounds.
I can see where you're coming from (and it's a sentiment I echoed for a long time!), but it turns out I actually really like the sound of cassette degradation/saturation on individual elements, as well as lightly on certain mixes. At the end of the day, it's a distortion/pitch shfiting/saturation unit with a very particular character, but it definitely hinges on whether you're a fan of that particular character or not.

On the other hand... still don't really see the point in modern cassette releases.

Ottostrom

07 Nov 2019

adfielding wrote:
07 Nov 2019
On the other hand... still don't really see the point in modern cassette releases.
Looks great on the shelf and takes up less space than a vinyl ;)

tallguy

07 Nov 2019

Seriously. Beautiful interface, well thought out functionality and Dan Worrall doing the video = pushing all my GAS-buttons.

And I have no need for this whatsoever. Or maybe I do...

eusti

07 Nov 2019

jesusginard wrote:
07 Nov 2019
reddust wrote:
06 Nov 2019

I second this petition, I hope some of the Wavesfactory devs or CEO's is reading this thread :)

2. You're right, random snap is not controllable, it's pure random. Maybe not for Cassette but for a plug-in on its own in which you have different tape/vinyl glitches in a sequencer. It would be nice!

Thanks for chiming in, Jesus!

Definitely interested in this! :)

D.

guitfnky

07 Nov 2019

xboix wrote:
07 Nov 2019
guitfnky wrote:
05 Nov 2019

why?
undesirable if your goal was pristine sound, sure. not good to the ear seems like a strange thing to say, given the fact that there’s a huge market for tape effects like these—clearly it’s good to the ears of many people.

there are different ways to degrade your sounds, but I wouldn’t agree that any one of them is “better”...it always depends on what your goal is.

you may or may not be right about it being a fad, but I suspect not. it may be something a lot of people are using, but like any effect, it can be something lots of people use (delay, for example), or something that by comparison very few people use (ring modulation).

doesn’t mean it’s useless, even if not a lot of people are using it.

reddust

07 Nov 2019

jesusginard wrote:
07 Nov 2019
reddust wrote:
06 Nov 2019

Great to read from you here Jesús, bienvenido :)
guitfnky wrote:
07 Nov 2019
xboix wrote:
07 Nov 2019
undesirable if your goal was pristine sound, sure. not good to the ear seems like a strange thing to say, given the fact that there’s a huge market for tape effects like these—clearly it’s good to the ears of many people.

there are different ways to degrade your sounds, but I wouldn’t agree that any one of them is “better”...it always depends on what your goal is.

you may or may not be right about it being a fad, but I suspect not. it may be something a lot of people are using, but like any effect, it can be something lots of people use (delay, for example), or something that by comparison very few people use (ring modulation).

I was going to answer to that message but you said everything I had in mind already pretty well, "undesired" is a word that implies subjectivity per se, I personally love any way to "destroy" sound, and that includes cassette tape emulations like this as well as glitchers, rhythm deconstruction, vinyl emulation...

guitfnky

07 Nov 2019

MrFigg wrote:
07 Nov 2019
guitfnky wrote:
06 Nov 2019

I tried maxing all the settings (hey, I'm a guitarist--it's what we do)
Hahaha. I’ve used the phrase “I’m a guitarist” on this forum a lot. It would appear that as a group that’s something we also do :).
I’ve found it’s a good shorthand for “this is why I’m deficient in subtlety”. 😂

adfielding

07 Nov 2019

Ottostrom wrote:
07 Nov 2019
adfielding wrote:
07 Nov 2019
Looks great on the shelf and takes up less space than a vinyl ;)
Yeah, but so does a CD and it doesn't degrade with every listen (unless you count CD-rot - which I have yet to experience, thankfully!).

Well - I grabbed the demo earlier on and bought it after half an hour of playing around with it. Lovely, lovely effect. I've never had much luck with software-based cassette emulations but this one really surprised me. Looks great, sounds great, exactly what I've been looking for. Top job, Wavesfactory!

motuscott

07 Nov 2019

I'm a drummer. What's this shorthand for?

duck and cover...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Nov 2019

motuscott wrote:
07 Nov 2019
I'm a drummer.
Uh...are you sure you’re actually allowed to speak to people?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

xboix

07 Nov 2019

motuscott wrote:
07 Nov 2019
I'm a drummer. What's this shorthand for?

duck and cover...
Drummer
noun
1. Someone who hangs out with a bunch of musicians.

guitfnky

07 Nov 2019

:lol: ouch.

xboix

07 Nov 2019

guitfnky wrote:
07 Nov 2019

The thing with cassettes is... no-one ever raved about the sound quality of cassette tape. Or about the saturation, the distortion, the wow and flutter, the goddamn hiss, the blurry noise reduction system, the dropouts, or the snarled up spaghetti hanging out of your car dashboard. Vinyl has a quality. CD has a (different) quality. Valve amps have a quality. 12-bit samplers have a quality. But cassettes were only cool because you could record on them yourself and because you could play them in your car. They were never great sound-wise. It just feels like we are putting on our rose-tinted spectacles and harking back to an era of poor sound reproduction. It makes me wonder if in a few years the next generation of musos will be raving about plug-in that emulate MP3 and iTunes "Go on! Crank up the "Lossy" slider!"

But it seems I AM the only one who feels this way. The size of the market does not mean that the emperor is not naked. But YMMV :D

guitfnky

07 Nov 2019

xboix wrote:
07 Nov 2019
guitfnky wrote:
07 Nov 2019

The thing with cassettes is... no-one ever raved about the sound quality of cassette tape. Or about the saturation, the distortion, the wow and flutter, the goddamn hiss, the blurry noise reduction system, the dropouts, or the snarled up spaghetti hanging out of your car dashboard. Vinyl has a quality. CD has a (different) quality. Valve amps have a quality. 12-bit samplers have a quality. But cassettes were only cool because you could record on them yourself and because you could play them in your car. They were never great sound-wise. It just feels like we are putting on our rose-tinted spectacles and harking back to an era of poor sound reproduction. It makes me wonder if in a few years the next generation of musos will be raving about plug-in that emulate MP3 and iTunes "Go on! Crank up the "Lossy" slider!"

But it seems I AM the only one who feels this way. The size of the market does not mean that the emperor is not naked. But YMMV :D
some of us DID love the warbles, the saturation, the rolled off highs, and yes, even the hiss...even back then. I remember futzing around with an old tape deck when the cover came off, seeing what happened when I forced it to play slower by adding pressure to the tape wheel (whatever it’s called). those experiments and the resulting sounds struck a chord with me even then.

“they were never great, sound wise”

yes, that’s exactly the point! 😊

esselfortium

07 Nov 2019

Sounds great, couldn't resist picking it up for this price! I've been looking for a plugin like this for a while and this one looks really comprehensive.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

platzangst

07 Nov 2019

xboix wrote:
07 Nov 2019
But cassettes were only cool because you could record on them yourself and because you could play them in your car. They were never great sound-wise. It just feels like we are putting on our rose-tinted spectacles and harking back to an era of poor sound reproduction.
Well, they could be great, sound-wise, if you had a Nakamichi Dragon or some such. But then vinyl also doesn't sound great if you're playing it on a 50-buck Crosley.

When I started releasing my own music in the early 90s, I did it on cassette, because I could do it myself for cheap without having to go through a manufacturer of some sort. And at the time there was a very large underground cassette "scene" full of artists trading their tapes back and forth. The barrier to entry was super low, compared to CDs (recordable CDs were not yet common or inexpensive).

I think the current cassette market operates on two forms of nostalgia - nostalgia for the 80s in general, because cassettes were the cheap "commoner" music format, and endured even after CDs made vinyl disappear, as well as nostalgia for a time when band networking was done physically, by mail, and you actually had to put a certain amount of effort and craft into delivering your music to another human, as opposed to just slapping it up on a SoundCloud or Bandcamp account. I don't think it's a worship of poor sound fidelity as much as it is an appreciation of retro styles, much like synthwave and the like.

diminished
Competition Winner

07 Nov 2019

xboix wrote:
07 Nov 2019
It makes me wonder if in a few years the next generation of musos will be raving about plug-in that emulate MP3 and iTunes "Go on! Crank up the "Lossy" slider!"
Right now it's called sampling from youtube and in a few years, when bandwidth and internet speed are terms of the past and streaming quality reaches FLAC level, you bet your ass that people will nostagicly look back to this area and wonder how they could recreate "that sound" of music made from lossy samples played over shitty chinese bluetooth speakers.

For me, cassette tape and all their different playback devices aren't just a gimmick. That's exclusively the sound of music I consumed from age 0-14.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

guitfnky

07 Nov 2019

it’s part of an aesthetic—one that lots of people like. imagine if Neon Indian, or Mac DeMarco, or Youth Lagoon put out pristine sounding albums. they wouldn’t be appreciated in the same way. often, it’s not great music in spite of being lo-fi, its greatness is enhanced by the fact that it is.

• Information