rack extension manuals?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Chizmata

06 Nov 2019

im still pretty new to the re business and i wondered if res have the same great in-depth manuals as the reason help has for stock devices somewhere? thx!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Nov 2019

Chizmata wrote:
06 Nov 2019
im still pretty new to the re business and i wondered if res have the same great in-depth manuals as the reason help has for stock devices somewhere? thx!
Some of them have great manuals which explain everything. Some of them have manuals which are really short. Some of them have descriptions on the product page. Some of them have instructional videos. And some of them...well, some of them don't have manuals at all.
Hope that helps :)

( The manuals can usually be found on the product pages for download)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

moneykube

06 Nov 2019

sometimes you need to go yo the re's developer page for manuals ... sometimes the link for manual is on the RS page of the re... if not try Product support or Product website ro find manual//// in rare cases the manual is the description on the rs page for the rack... mr. figg beat me to it lol
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Tweak

07 Nov 2019

Must admit I think they missed a trick here. It'd make a whole lot of sense if the manual for any RE was delivered to you as part of the download, and made available via reason's UI. Developers should have been required to present a manual with each version of the RE that contains meaningful changes. Like I said, with all the rest of the clever integration REs provide, this is really something obvious that's been missed.

guitfnky

07 Nov 2019

Tweak wrote:
07 Nov 2019
Must admit I think they missed a trick here. It'd make a whole lot of sense if the manual for any RE was delivered to you as part of the download, and made available via reason's UI. Developers should have been required to present a manual with each version of the RE that contains meaningful changes. Like I said, with all the rest of the clever integration REs provide, this is really something obvious that's been missed.
that seems like it would just add another hurdle to the process of developing and releasing REs. I like the idea of having well-thought-out documentation for every device, but not if it puts extra requirements on the developer before they can put something out. I know a lot of the RE devs are small, and they need to be able to put out a product to sell. making them have to provide documentation up to a certain standard sounds like a big lift (especially considering localization—for some of the devs, English isn’t their first language, and what about localizing for other languages?).

I think they should do all they can to provide good documentation (even if it means asking for volunteers), but I think it would be a mistake to require them to do so.

not to mention that Props/RS (presumably) don’t have code in place to pull up documentation from a button in the rack. they would have to build that out before anything else, to do what you describe.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

motuscott

07 Nov 2019

I RTFM.
My superpower: inability to recall. Anything. Ever.
Motuscott user manual, MIA.
Whatevs, let's just move on...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

orthodox
RE Developer

07 Nov 2019

Tweak wrote:
07 Nov 2019
and made available via reason's UI
Reason UI is not the best place to read the manual.
But I agree that some kind of a description should be mandatory.

Tweak

07 Nov 2019

orthodox wrote:
07 Nov 2019
Tweak wrote:
07 Nov 2019
and made available via reason's UI
Reason UI is not the best place to read the manual.
But I agree that some kind of a description should be mandatory.
I personally like the idea of RE manuals accessible via the UI. Imagine being able to turn on a help mode (something like a Remote Override Edit Mode) that could provide context sensitive help for any parameter of any device in a side bar like the browser/tutorials section. The SDK could then provide developers with a mechanism for knob/control level linking of documentation.

I accept that providing a manual for every RE is not feasible, especially considering the market size. I still think it's a shame that I can press the "sync all" button to get all my REs, but I then have to visit several different websites regardless if I need to get a hold of the manuals.

Oquasec

08 Nov 2019

They way reason is setup is nuts.
You can access the manual for every device with right click.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

• Information