(Synthwave) Goodbye Memories

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
rare_shadow
Competition Winner

31 Oct 2019

R10 with many Expanse instances.

DrGOAยฎ

01 Nov 2019

Good track! ๐Ÿ‘Œ

Micha1973

03 Nov 2019

:thumbs_up: good track*
Music Is My Life
&
Reason 12 sounds better :essentials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsW3Wr ... gA05XklBng

Zac

03 Nov 2019

Very enjoyable track. Sounds nice and full.

GJBUCKMUSIC

12 Nov 2019

How do you mix your bass? I would love to know how to get a clean bass sound like that and so fat. Is that solid analogue equipment?

Blamsoft
RE Developer

13 Nov 2019

Nice track! I like to make hi-hats like that. Fun stuff!

rare_shadow
Competition Winner

20 Nov 2019

GJBUCKMUSIC wrote: โ†‘
12 Nov 2019
How do you mix your bass? I would love to know how to get a clean bass sound like that and so fat. Is that solid analogue equipment?
The bass is Reason's Monotone synthesizer and I mixed everything in Reason. I made some space for it by lowering or removing the low frequencies from the other tracks.

[/quote]
Blamsoft wrote: โ†‘
13 Nov 2019
Nice track! I like to make hi-hats like that. Fun stuff!
Thanks :-) Expanse has been and still is my go-to synth for many years. I hope you have another awesome instrument in your pipeline.

Benedict
Competition Winner

20 Nov 2019

I'm with Carly (on the timeline) and wasn't sold from the start but it gets going.

It is nice. Amusing with the uber-cool '80s Toms.

Did you use one Send Reverb for all the instruments? I ask as I feel that while everything is very clear, that many parts don't fully feel like they belong in the same space. A single Bus reverb can help this.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

rare_shadow
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2019

Benedict wrote: โ†‘
20 Nov 2019
I'm with Carly (on the timeline) and wasn't sold from the start but it gets going.

It is nice. Amusing with the uber-cool '80s Toms.

Did you use one Send Reverb for all the instruments? I ask as I feel that while everything is very clear, that many parts don't fully feel like they belong in the same space. A single Bus reverb can help this.

:-)
Benedict, This is amazing! I can hardly hear that but you are right!
To be precise I only used one send bus for the reverb (RV7000) in the mixer but not all channels use that bus. Also, Expanse comes with built-in effect including a reverb and that cause the inconsistent sound probably. I tried to turn off all reverbs from Expanse and use only the send-reverb but that changes the mix quite a bit. Also, because the reverb inside of Expanse is not always the last effect in the insert chain. Tricky.
Do you have any advice how to do this right?

Benedict
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2019

There is nothing wrong with using reverb on a synth and then sending some of that to the Bus as well. I will try to always send something to that Space that the piece lives in so everything is in that place somehow. Even if that is something practically inaudible like -24db (or less) Send on drums, it still puts it in the same space.

If I know I am going to do a big process on a sound, I'll often apply what feels like the right amount of send verb to the dry synth and then do the 'sound design' reverb on the sound itself till it feels good.

The other than that can cause this "de-lamination" feel is EQ not being thought through. Sometimes we so want a sound to be just so, but don't really consider its role in the whole piece. This is easiest at the extremes of highs & lows. Maybe one or more sounds in here are too bright so they don't let the leads be able to have pride of place. Try rolling off highs on things like Hi Hats so the melodic lines are felt as dominant.

It is your mix though so always think: what is the story or scene I am painting here. Sometimes I break the common ways (little rules) to do something that sells the story better (still obeying the larger rule) so you can do pretty odd things, so long as they have a purpose and serve it. Otherwise, always start with good basics.
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

rare_shadow
Competition Winner

29 Nov 2019

Thanks Benedict, that's helpful!

• Information