Hi all...got a new keyboard (finally) but have an issue....

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
david1806

31 Oct 2019

Hi all....

Been apart from my beloved Reason for a couple of weeks - I had promised my mate his son could use my laptop, he desperately needed it for some Uni work as his had broken.

Anyway, got it back and also bought myself a M Audio Oxygen keyboard - I'm buzzin'!!! Now I really have looked everywhere for a solution to my problem, including reading the manual but no joy - please help!!

My problem is assigning the knobs/faders etc to Reason. The keyboard works fine, but when I go to assign things it just doesn't work. Well, it kinda does, I'll explain. The reason I know it works is because when I go to a controller, say the Frequency slider in Subtractor, and in the pull down menu choose either the Pitch Bend or Modulation Wheel - it works fine. Also, if I assign MIDI number 1 to a knob, it automatically controls the Mod wheel (I worked out that MIDI number 1 is the Mod Wheel for all the instruments!!) But when I choose Fader 1, or Knob 1 etc - nothing. I've tried looking at the MIDI charts (http://cdn.propellerheads.se/Reason6/Re ... 0Chart.pdf) and choosing 74 for Filter Freq, (although in the column next to it, it says its for ControlSoundController5 (Brightness), that don't sound right!).

Honestly, I am slowly going mental. Because I know it must work, because of the Mod Wheel thingy, but I just can't work it out. And honestly, I have been at it over two hours before deciding to post here.....

Yours hopefully, appreciatively, thankfully (in advance!)
David

david1806

31 Oct 2019

Thanks to this guy, I have it mostly sorted out- AWESOMENESS!!!!!

Though I still would like to be able to make some global settings, so each instrument has the same controllers, like changing the patch, or the volume.......any thoughts!!

david1806

31 Oct 2019

Yess!! Got the different settings for each instrument worked out....

And sorry to drone on, but this is my first DAW with a controller keyboard, and it makes a MASSIVE difference. I knew it would make things easier, but had no idea on how much difference it would make in terms of sound creation and sculpting. It is awesome. To be able to control the filters and filter envelopes, for example, all at the same time using your knobs and sliders, not only makes things easier, it is really helping me to understand how they all work and how they all work together. So pumped I am, in case you hadn't noticed.

I do apologise for my child-like glee, but as I said, this is my first ever DAW with a controller, so it is all a bit 'kid with a new toy'. I had no idea what a difference it would make, I really didn't. I was just thinking, yeah, I can control the instrument parameters using my keyboard controls instead of using the mouse on the PC, that'll be cool - but it means way more than that!

Anyway, I'll stop now......

Cheers all!!!
David - a happy chap...

PS Although not totally got it all yet - there is something I need to sort out with the buttons - faders and knobs all fine - but buttons, that I need mainly just for on/off, or to click through something with just 3 or 4 options, like Filter Types, or Osc On/Off......they all seem to call themselves CC00 when trying to assign them to something.....

djsmex

01 May 2020

Hi,
did you load your control surface in the Reason prefs/control surfaces/ or just using the automatic keyboard option? I believe Reason comes shipped with remote maps for several m-audio oxygen keyboards. What model are you using?
Reason comes with a number of ways to use MIDI remote, from the automatic keyboard control, to their remote codec/map plus manual midi remote override. Each have their pluses and minuses and as things get more advance, things get more complex.
The midi standards did have a number of CC numbers preset for specific functions like CC1 modwheel, CC7 volume level etc. These I believe come from old midi hardware. However, with software, you can generally assign any midi control to anything. The Reason MIDI assignments only relate to direct MIDI and not remote maps, as the codec manages the midi data.

• Information