Reason Slow Performance - when is optimisation coming?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Oquasec

21 Feb 2019

Probably new RE's being modern. No biggie.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

floozproduction

30 Mar 2019

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
14 Jan 2019
floozproduction wrote:
01 Jan 2019
Hy guys, i had the same problem on my macbook pro 2018 16 gigabytes; i went to preferences system, display, colour and change in "sRGB IEC6119662.1". Now reason run faster than before even with vst. Bye
I switched from Color LCD to sRGB IEC6119662.1 and noticed no difference in performance using the Activity Monitor.

Reason runs smoother if it uses the GPU, that's all.
I'am sorry for you men, for me it worked perfectly, improved the speed and my rack goes fast now.

Benjistatus88

07 Aug 2019

If anyone is having this issue make absolutely sure that your laptop is not in some Battery saving mode...look up on YouTube how to turn it off and set a custom mode...this has been the only thing to give me major performance issues 100% of the time other than having the wrong buffer settings.

Ocean of Waves

30 Oct 2019

I haven't upgraded to 11 yet, I'd like to know if 11 is performing better compared to 10. I have certain issues with 10 atm when using lots of audio clips in a 50min project. I've bounced a lot of tracks down so I'm using minimal vst's and RE's.. still at maximum buffer my DSP meter maxes almost all the time and that causes my computer to overheat and dropout audio.

It's not my computer, I can do the exact same mix in Reaper and it runs perfect with lower buffer size, I'm considering switching to mixing in Reaper just because of this.

So QUESTION: Is 11 performing better than 10?

bolandross

30 Oct 2019

Ocean of Waves wrote:
30 Oct 2019
I haven't upgraded to 11 yet, I'd like to know if 11 is performing better compared to 10. I have certain issues with 10 atm when using lots of audio clips in a 50min project. I've bounced a lot of tracks down so I'm using minimal vst's and RE's.. still at maximum buffer my DSP meter maxes almost all the time and that causes my computer to overheat and dropout audio.

It's not my computer, I can do the exact same mix in Reaper and it runs perfect with lower buffer size, I'm considering switching to mixing in Reaper just because of this.

I recommend downloading the Reason 11 Trial version to test it on your machine. You can open your old and known projects and make direct comparisons based on past experience.

Unfortunately in my case, I am still having the "sluggish scrolling" problem on my Retina MacBook running Reason 11 Trial, so I am still stuck in low resolution mode for smoother UI performance.

Ocean of Waves

30 Oct 2019

that is a great tip, and I'm ashamed I didn't think of that stupid simple idea before asking. It never ocuured to me you can open up a project in a trial version!

Thanks man, I'll report back

Ocean of Waves

30 Oct 2019

Ok, I've run my project in 11 and nothing changed. Guess I'll continue with this project in Reaper..
I've also toggled the Hyperthread option and tested it with that, just like 10 it makes it worst
Last edited by Ocean of Waves on 30 Oct 2019, edited 1 time in total.

bolandross

30 Oct 2019

If I remember correctly, earlier trial versions of Reason didn't let you open existing projects. They did let you play around and save what you achieved, but didn't let you load them after restart :D

On the other hand, these former versions didn't countdown from 30 days if I recall correctly ...

Oquasec

30 Oct 2019

Props optimized reason a lot since 9 tbh. I think it handles dsp differenty for third party plugins.
They changed it so it wasnt locked to CV standard buffers if im not mistaken.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

bolandross

30 Oct 2019

Ocean of Waves wrote:
30 Oct 2019
Ok, I've run my project in 11 and nothing changed. Guess I'll continue with this project in Reaper..
I've also toggled the Hyperthread option and tested it with that, just like 10 it makes it worst
I guess we'll have to again wait for these issues to be addressed.

It's really sad ... a year ago I contacted the Propellerheads team and asked in a serious way how much budget they would need to consider overhauling the current UI engine in terms of better scaling (by using vector graphics), supporting GPU acceleration and other nice things that should be in a DAW in 2019. I was willing to start a crowdfunding project show how many of their customers would be interested in these features and to support the development of said features.

They haven't answered, so I guess money is not even the problem here ... 😑

Loque

30 Oct 2019

bolandross wrote:
30 Oct 2019
Ocean of Waves wrote:
30 Oct 2019
I guess we'll have to again wait for these issues to be addressed.

It's really sad ... a year ago I contacted the Propellerheads team and asked in a serious way how much budget they would need to consider overhauling the current UI engine in terms of better scaling (by using vector graphics), supporting GPU acceleration and other nice things that should be in a DAW in 2019. I was willing to start a crowdfunding project show how many of their customers would be interested in these features and to support the development of said features.

They haven't answered, so I guess money is not even the problem here ... 😑
Considering all the crying about upgrade prices, nobody would pay anything :-D
Reason12, Win10

bolandross

30 Oct 2019

Loque wrote:
30 Oct 2019
Considering all the crying about upgrade prices, nobody would pay anything :-D
Well, people would for a change get what they ask for since years. I think that makes a difference when thinking about paying for a product.

chimp_spanner

30 Oct 2019

bolandross wrote:
30 Oct 2019
Ocean of Waves wrote:
30 Oct 2019

I recommend downloading the Reason 11 Trial version to test it on your machine. You can open your old and known projects and make direct comparisons based on past experience.

Unfortunately in my case, I am still having the "sluggish scrolling" problem on my Retina MacBook running Reason 11 Trial, so I am still stuck in low resolution mode for smoother UI performance.
Did you try changing the colour profile to RGB instead of using low res? That worked for me on a 2017 MBP (although since 11 I haven't had to do that so not sure why yours is still sluggish!)

mcatalao
Competition Winner

30 Oct 2019

Ocean of Waves wrote:
30 Oct 2019

Reason 11 has a similar performance to R10.4. Are you using Reason 10.4 on your production work?

Mind that Reason 10.3 introduced better conformance for the whole application, but above all at VST level.
I didn't do a new test, but from normal use, I'm under the impression it is working at the same level of performance.

bolandross

30 Oct 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
30 Oct 2019
Did you try changing the colour profile to RGB instead of using low res? That worked for me on a 2017 MBP (although since 11 I haven't had to do that so not sure why yours is still sluggish!)
Yes I did. Switching to the the RGB colour profile only gives a very slight improvement, decreasing the resolution a bigger one:

Normal:

with RGB Color Profile:

in Low Resolution Mode:

(the Demo Song 'Carlstrom - Airplane' was used for this 'Benchmark')

Ocean of Waves

04 Nov 2019

Bought 11 to use it inside Reaper. I'm still into transition phase because it was a 95 track 47 minutes long project that needs to play exactly back in Reaper. So far the most tedious to do are the fader moves, but all audio and plugins are in place. No overheated laptop anymore :D

bolandross

28 Mar 2020

Hmm, any news regarding this issue?

tronam

30 Mar 2020

While still not what I’d describe as “smooth”, R11 rack scrolling is noticeably faster (quicker refresh rate) than R10 on my Retina display.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

bolandross

30 Mar 2020

@tronam:

Thanks for your response!

Which macOS version are you using?

tronam

30 Mar 2020

bolandross wrote:
30 Mar 2020
@tronam:

Thanks for your response!

Which macOS version are you using?
Mojave (10.14.6)

After reading a few replies suggesting a color space change to sRGB, I tested that out for a bit, toggling back and forth while scrolling a larger multi-column rack. At first I thought it was just confirmation bias and my brain playing tricks on me, but I do think there's a perceivable uptick in frame rate. There must be some additional overhead when running in the larger DCI-P3 color space. I doubt there's any wide color assets in Reason anyway, so this could be a beneficial tip for users running on high-DPI displays; at least on the Mac.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

tobypearce

11 Apr 2020

One day it will work as it should.............
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

bolandross

11 Apr 2020

It’s fine to have dreams …

I’m getting a terrible performance even on my iMac Pro, even with said colour profile, low resolution mode, not using VSTs. As much as I love Reason … I feel insulted by Reason Studios for leaving this unfixed for so many years.

BradfordMoeller

12 Apr 2020

I recently upgraded to R11 from 10, have had no issues on my old-ish standard iMac so far.

Consistent performance improvements is definitely the top priority in my mind regardless of little features many of us hope for!
:reason:)))

bolandross

12 Apr 2020

I just did another test on my old MacBook (late 2008, OS X El Capitan):

Same project, much smoother scrolling and perceived refresh rate of device visuals ...

• Information