Beta testers for a compressor RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
orthodox
RE Developer

28 Oct 2019

Hi

Just finished my first RE box and looking for beta testers. Anyone interested in compressors/expanders. Your feedback is welcome. Send me a PM with your Reason Studios account name if you like.

Please comment in the thread. The device name is Extreme Dynamics.

Update:
The device is available in the shop now: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -dynamics/
Last edited by orthodox on 18 Nov 2019, edited 8 times in total.

diminished
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2019

I was recently interested in options for multiband gating techniques:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7512718

Is this something your RE offers? I'd be sooo in. But also if it's something different. Could you provide a brief description? :)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

orthodox
RE Developer

28 Oct 2019

I just started to write the manual:
"Introduction
Extreme Dynamics is a general purpose dynamic range compressor/expander which offers a wide range of control options and monitoring capabilities. It features 5 different gain control functions operating both above and below the threshold level, look-ahead and peak modes, several A/R envelope filter tuning options, a segmented signal meter and a 2D scope display to monitor the device operation."

orthodox
RE Developer

28 Oct 2019

OK, this way it will be clearer (updated the first post).
Last edited by orthodox on 28 Oct 2019, edited 1 time in total.

orthodox
RE Developer

28 Oct 2019

<moved to the 1st post>
Last edited by orthodox on 29 Oct 2019, edited 1 time in total.

boomer

28 Oct 2019

What does yours do that can’t already be done?

orthodox
RE Developer

28 Oct 2019

boomer wrote:
28 Oct 2019
1) 3 compressor and 2 expander modes, which can be applied both below and above the threshold and combined in any possible way.
2) Upward compression (below threshold). It can bring the -120dB signals back to audible range.
3) Look-ahead mode. While it can of course be built from several reason devices, it's easier to have it built in. It's automatically delay compensated, by the way.
4) Peak mode. It's present in the Mix Channel compressor, but mine allows for gradual change from peak to averaging follower.
5) True soft-knee mode, which I have yet to see in any Reason device.
6) The display to watch the actual gain curve you will get with the parameters you have set and to monitor the live signal on it.

esselfortium

28 Oct 2019

The display looks like a potentially great addition to the rack, I've been waiting to see something like this as an RE!

The UI could use some improvement, IMO, the color and font choices (and inconsistent text scaling) make it look a bit cheap.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Zac

28 Oct 2019

orthodox wrote:
28 Oct 2019
boomer wrote:
28 Oct 2019
1) 3 compressor and 2 expander modes, which can be applied both below and above the threshold and combined in any possible way.
2) Upward compression (below threshold). It can bring the -120dB signals back to audible range.
3) Look-ahead mode. While it can of course be built from several reason devices, it's easier to have it built in. It's automatically delay compensated, by the way.
4) Peak mode. It's present in the Mix Channel compressor, but mine allows for gradual change from peak to averaging follower.
5) True soft-knee mode, which I have yet to see in any Reason device.
6) The display to watch the actual gain curve you will get with the parameters you have set and to monitor the live signal on it.
I like the feature set a lot. I don't do much beta testing because of the need to be online but I'll certainly give this a try when it comes out. Good luck with it.

Bes
Competition Winner

29 Oct 2019

sometimes i'll get a pop when turning the stereo width from 0% to 1%
i always get pops when switching between the LPF order

i have caused 3 crashes now and i am almost certain it is the soft knee function, but each time it was a little different and on my last attempt i was able to do all of this without crashing so i'm just getting this info out while i'm still testing settings. also one time it crashed when i turned on the audio monitoring function

apart from the scope enabled and audio monitor turned on, the device is in total default settings

below thresh COMP 1 ~35dB
above thresh COMP 3 ~-40dB
Thresh -10dB
soft knee 18dB

at these settings the device crashed more often than not but when it didn't crash i could not detect why. the reason DSP meter was hardly registering anything so it isn't overloading the computer

i will continue testing
- bes
- Certified Reason expert

orthodox
RE Developer

29 Oct 2019

Bes wrote:
29 Oct 2019
sometimes i'll get a pop when turning the stereo width from 0% to 1%
i always get pops when switching between the LPF order
Unfortunately, not much can be done about pops. When the LPF order, Env Scale, EnvAfterGain, and Look-Ahead delay change, they are unavoidable. Never heard it on StereoWidth though, I'll test it.
Bes wrote:
29 Oct 2019
i have caused 3 crashes now and i am almost certain it is the soft knee function
I am almost sure the Soft Knee cannot cause anything; I'll check it though. First I would put aside any crash with the Monitor On, they are most likely related to UI performance.

Thank you for your activity.

selig
RE Developer

29 Oct 2019

orthodox wrote:
29 Oct 2019
Unfortunately, not much can be done about pops. When the LPF order, Env Scale, EnvAfterGain, and Look-Ahead delay change, they are unavoidable. Never heard it on StereoWidth though, I'll test it.
Pops are totally avoidable if you don't mind a short crossfade or fade in/out of a few ms. I've done this on my devices, and no one ever commented - but folks WILL comment about clicks and pops… ;)

Good luck with your device, happy to help if there's anything I can do for you!
Selig Audio, LLC

orthodox
RE Developer

29 Oct 2019

selig wrote:
29 Oct 2019
Pops are totally avoidable if you don't mind a short crossfade or fade in/out of a few ms. I've done this on my devices, and no one ever commented - but folks WILL comment about clicks and pops… ;)
Yes, sure I could add crossfading on the main output. It just seemed unnecessary, because pops can only occur on changing parameters used only during the initial tuning stage, and which I don't intend to make automatable. There hopefully won't be any pops in normal audio processing.
selig wrote:
29 Oct 2019
Good luck with your device, happy to help if there's anything I can do for you!
Thanks for your feedback.

Loque

29 Oct 2019

orthodox wrote:
29 Oct 2019
...which I don't intend to make automatable....
Ieeks!

Just a hint: Often controls are fading from one setting to another. Personally i dislike this or at least like to have some kind of control. But sometimes you NEED this kind of fading or your parameter changes are always audible and analog devices do not have such behavior AFAIK.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

29 Oct 2019

Loque wrote:
29 Oct 2019
orthodox wrote:
29 Oct 2019
...which I don't intend to make automatable....
Ieeks!

Just a hint: Often controls are fading from one setting to another. Personally i dislike this or at least like to have some kind of control. But sometimes you NEED this kind of fading or your parameter changes are always audible and analog devices do not have such behavior AFAIK.
If you do it fast enough you won't perceive it was doing anything. Analog devices can still click and pop when operating switches, especially rotary switches, but you resign yourself to not moving them when recording/mixing. ;)
One of digital audio's general advantages IMO is that you can deal with clicks and pops in ways that are not plausible using analog circuits.
Selig Audio, LLC

orthodox
RE Developer

29 Oct 2019

Loque wrote:
29 Oct 2019
But sometimes you NEED this kind of fading or your parameter changes are always audible and analog devices do not have such behavior AFAIK.
In fact, many analog devices do click and pop, especially older ones :). It's already here and there in Reason, most effects can click when switched to Bypass, for example. The subject device on top of else, is variable latency, so it WILL click anyway.

I'll try my best to eliminate it where possible.

diminished
Competition Winner

29 Oct 2019

orthodox wrote:
29 Oct 2019

That'd be much appreciated.
I gotta say, one can get really creative with the settings. Like.. twice as agressive as FET on all-in settings, then steamroll it. I've only noodled around yet but it's much fun on drums. You gotta be real careful though with some knobs, your ears will thank you!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

orthodox
RE Developer

29 Oct 2019

A new build is available, 1.0.0d4:
- fixed a potential buffer overflow, maybe related to the crashes seen (could not get a crash myself so far, unfortunately);
- fixed some clicks and pops, LPF order should not click anymore;
- minor changes to the look;

Updated the manual (in the first post), added description of the displays.

selig
RE Developer

30 Oct 2019

orthodox wrote:
29 Oct 2019
Loque wrote:
29 Oct 2019
But sometimes you NEED this kind of fading or your parameter changes are always audible and analog devices do not have such behavior AFAIK.
In fact, many analog devices do click and pop, especially older ones :). It's already here and there in Reason, most effects can click when switched to Bypass, for example. The subject device on top of else, is variable latency, so it WILL click anyway.

Your work will be appreciated! In the early RE days we spent time tweaking bypass etc to "behave" and not click, even with lookahead engaged.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

orthodox
RE Developer

30 Oct 2019

selig wrote:
30 Oct 2019
Your work will be appreciated! In the early RE days we spent time tweaking bypass etc to "behave" and not click, even with lookahead engaged.
:)
Don't know what others do, I don't remove the latency when it's switched to Bypass. All the sound keeps going through the delay buffer. Not sure, but I think it's not a violation of the On/Off/Bypass convention.

Despondo
Competition Winner

30 Oct 2019

I can get the plugin to crash Reason fairly regularly. It usually happens when I toggle the patch select buttons, but not predictably. It sometimes works fine and I get the sample combinator included with the RE, but then it sometimes occurs when I undo via keyboard shortcuts (Command+Z). I recorded a quick video of the crash. In this case, it happened immediately when clicking the browse next patch button after fiddling with a bunch of random settings.

orthodox
RE Developer

30 Oct 2019

Despondo wrote:
30 Oct 2019
I can get the plugin to crash Reason fairly regularly.
Just spent 20 minutes fiddling knobs and changing patches, unsuccessfully. I mean, could not get a crash so far. Gonna try harder.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Oct 2019

Despondo wrote:
30 Oct 2019
I can get the plugin to crash Reason fairly regularly. It usually happens when I toggle the patch select buttons, but not predictably. It sometimes works fine and I get the sample combinator included with the RE, but then it sometimes occurs when I undo via keyboard shortcuts (Command+Z). I recorded a quick video of the crash. In this case, it happened immediately when clicking the browse next patch button after fiddling with a bunch of random settings.

Also crashed Reason by flipping the rack and randomly connecting cv cables between the compressor and Alligator on an Octorex loop. Reason just switches off.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

orthodox
RE Developer

30 Oct 2019

MrFigg wrote:
30 Oct 2019
Also crashed Reason by flipping the rack and randomly connecting cv cables between the compressor and Alligator on an Octorex loop. Reason just switches off.
Also couldn't reproduce. Are you using Mac? I tried it only on Windows.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Oct 2019

orthodox wrote:
30 Oct 2019
MrFigg wrote:
30 Oct 2019
Also couldn't reproduce. Are you using Mac? I tried it only on Windows.
Windows 10
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information