POLL - What Reason version are you on?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

POLL - What Reason version are you on?

R11 Suite version
21%
R11
13%
R10
51%
R9
2%
R8
3%
R7
1%
R6
1%
R5
3%
R4
1%
R3 or under. Seriously it's time to upgrade.
No votes
Any Intro/Lite/Essentials version (whatever they're called) for R11, R10, R9 etc... I'm putting them all in the same category.
4%

Total votes: 128
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Oct 2019

So Reason 11 has been out for a while now and most of the threads about it has settled down.
So I thought it would be interesting to see how many upgraded. And if not what version are you on.
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 29 Oct 2019, edited 1 time in total.

reggie1979

26 Oct 2019

Well, I was tempted by 11 but stuck with 10. If they add a couple more workflow things I'll upgrade then.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

26 Oct 2019

The R10 updates were buggy enough for me to be cautious with R11, so I'm now on the sideline reading about all the R11 bugs, but I'm not affected :ugeek:
I though the Rack Plugin was gonna be great, but then no internal VST hosting, the midi issues, no remoting (correct, yes?), no sample edit, then I'm not so sure anymore. The standalone updates, some good ones but too few to feel thrilled to pay for an upgrade.

I have some other tools as well that I need to continue to learn (sucks up time), so do not want to be bogged down with bug issues, spent too much time on that around the 10.2-10.4 updates. Need to get stuff done, not fix someone else's software.

I'll be working with my Cubase Pro 10 later this year. Was hoping to bring the Reason Rack into it, but will see if RS can get their stuff together and make it work better, then I'll upgrade, otherwise I'll wait and move a step away from Reason in terms of updating - their loss as they get less money from me. If the fix the Rack Plugin issues and roll out plenty of Sequencer fixes then I'll update.
1. VST hosting
2. Midi out
3. whatever...

I do like the option of using both Rack and Standalone, but if I make a Combinator with a VST I need to be able to open that in the Rack Plugin, duh Duh DuH DUH DUH DUH ! :twisted:

DUH!
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

groggy1

26 Oct 2019

Boombastix wrote:
26 Oct 2019

I do like the option of using both Rack and Standalone, but if I make a Combinator with a VST I need to be able to open that in the Rack Plugin, duh Duh DuH DUH DUH DUH ! :twisted:

DUH!

Yeah, I've spent a year creating Combis that contain VSTs - some of these are complex Combis, others are just simple wrapper on a VST so I can save the patch to a folder. I've found that Combi makes it SUPER easy to build a library of my favorite patches (rather than uses each Synth's varying patch system).

So if I was going to use Rack version of Reason, all those Combis would be unusable in that rack?

I guess Rack version of Reason isn't targeted at me, it seems more targeted at a new audience who was already using another Daw: For these folks, all their Combis can't contain VSTs from day 1, so they won't ever feel this frustration?

Anyway, I'm happy in Reason. Just thought this was a weird omission in Rack VST.

Oquasec

26 Oct 2019

I got a license for 5 8 9 10 11.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

xboix

26 Oct 2019

groggy1 wrote:
26 Oct 2019

So if I was going to use Rack version of Reason, all those Combis would be unusable in that rack?
That's correct and it's definitely a bad decision on the part of RS/PH. Hosting VSTs within VSTs is possible, as demonstrated by Akai VIP, Maschine VST, FL Studio VST, Blue Cat etc etc. Sadly RS/PH do not have a great track record when it comes to revisiting these things so don't hold your breath.

ShelLuser

27 Oct 2019

Nice poll!

I am a very proud & happy Reason 10 user but unfortunately I fear that this might be my last Reason upgrade. Not because I suddenly dislike Reason or anything, heck no, but because Reason did away with ReWire and... the plugin doesn't cut it for me. I really don't like using it on so many levels.. :?

First it's a waste of space. This is not a sneer, but an honest critical comment: the VST uses its own program folder and its own datafiles. The VST is basically a full copy of the Reason 11 program folder, so you're effectively installing Reason twice. I can understand why they use this easy "plug an play" setup, but at least allow us powerusers to get more redundancy; I'd prefer for the VST to get dumped into the Reason 11 program folder so that it can re-use libraries and I can save up on precious diskspace. (harddisk space is cheap, SSD space not so much...).

But second, much more important to me, it just isn't the Reason workflow I'm so addicted to. Pressing tab in the VST does nothing, pressing <del> to remove things idemditto. You're forced to using your mouse for everything which I think is an extremely clunky way to work, especially if you're familiar with the workflow in the real Reason. In my usual setup (Live & Reason rewired into Live) I press Win-1 to bring up Live and Win-2 to bring up Reason. Making a quick change in my Kong setup? Win-2, tab and patching time :cool:

And finally the VST adds nothing new for me. There's nothing there that I can't already do. Worse yet: for me it's a major step backwards. First because of the issues I mentioned earlier, but second... Working with 2 sequencers at once is honestly something else indeed. And then there's the mixer section which I really don't want to miss out on. Can't have that with the VST. And since Reason 11 doesn't support ReWire I can't use that with Live anymore.

Enough negativity!

As said I'm a very happy Reason 10 user and I see no need to upgrade. I also see no problems for the near future either because 3 or so months ago I was still happily using Reason 6. Another major difference is that I had the opportunity to seriously expand my setup with a few awesome rack extension bundles which to me makes Reason 10 even more useful than it already was.

It'll take quite some time before I'll grow tired of Europa, Komplex-1 and Parsec, to name but a few.

Not to mention the option to detach the mixer window and move that onto my 2nd monitor, that's a really slick way of working :cool:

All in all... using Reason 10, very happy with it, I'm staying put.
--- :reason:

Loque

27 Oct 2019

Every thread mutates into a wishlist 😂
Reason12, Win10

Proboscis

27 Oct 2019

I answered Reason 10 - and am unlikely to upgrade again in the next few years unless they upgrade the Combinator with 2x the buttons, knobs and programmer lines - and fix the sequencer labeling for each control. As much as I love Reason, I can never get over how incredibly dumb and shortsighted it is that there's no indication of what each control does. Direct automation arming of parameters shows what the lane is for. Note lanes can also be re-named. Yet for the Combinator... nothing but 'Rotary 1, Rotary 2' etc :(

At the stage now where I'm not rewarding the inclusion of a few crumbs that should have been standard years ago (namely the four sequencer features that are new to Reason 11). Admittedly I find myself thinking how helpful note muting would be, but I'll persevere with they way it is in version 10 rather than spend any more money.

And I'm perfectly OK with staying on Reason 10, as it's inspired me to dig deeper into what's already possible for creating sounds with the tools I have. As a bit of a novice on all the geeky stuff, there's plenty to keep me occupied when I have a creative block and want to fool around without making music.

Was there a poll like this after the last release ? It would be interesting to see how the results compare.

Proboscis

27 Oct 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
27 Oct 2019
3 or so months ago I was still happily using Reason 6.
Damn - that's one hell of a great value option for $129, jumping four versions. So many new toys for you to play with :thumbs_up:

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2019

Loque wrote:
27 Oct 2019
:lol:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2019

Oquasec wrote:
26 Oct 2019
I got a license for 5 8 9 10 11.
Yes but which one do you actually use?

I did leave it so that people could pick more than one option, in case some one would bring up examples of using more than one version. Maybe they have R11 but still use an older version for rewire or something, or the old line6 amps.
But mostly the thread is here to see what latest version people have is.

Oquasec

27 Oct 2019

Oh. 5 & 11 then.
So basically the base version and another one.
Producer/Programmer.

Scoobyman II

27 Oct 2019

I'm using 10. I couldn't find my VST3 plugin when beta testing. Does VST3 now work with reason 11?

brand

27 Oct 2019

A lot more votes on 10 than 11 or 11 Suite. I am using 11 Suite. I was on 10, but had essentially none of the extras that came with 11 Suite. Except I think Drum Seq was free during 10 at one point. So for me it was a pretty good value. 10 was fine though; I could have keep on with it. I don't know about anyone else, but sometimes when I see a deal, and it looks like a good one, and I can go for it, I do, because I have regrets later that I should have. But I'm fickle. I see a deal, and think, meh, slow down. I'm not using everything to the fullest yet so...

Oquasec

27 Oct 2019

You can't use vst3 plugins without minihost modular or a second daw in reason silly.
Reason as a vst the vst3.
Producer/Programmer.

MannequinRaces

27 Oct 2019

Loque wrote:
27 Oct 2019
Every. Damn. One.

Flandersh

27 Oct 2019

Upgraded from Reason 6 to 11, thought have been using Reason 4 for the most the last years. To me Reason 11 gave me what I have wished for since Reason 6, a pure rack version of Reason.

The_Real_DeanC2000

27 Oct 2019

I splurged on 11 suite because I didn't have a majority of the instruments/devices they were offering for it. I could have gone with just the 11, but for another 120 bucks, I got several more devices to work with.

I mainly upgraded to get the VST, as I produce with Reaper too. So I alternate between Reaper and Reason in music production. I'm mainly a musician, and not a synth/cv nerd so I'm into recording, editing, mixing, mastering. Reason has the essentials to all these tasks done, and Reaper has the essentials plus more, but can become very complex fast. Reason 11 is simple, inspiring, and quick to finish songs with.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2019

Despite the criticism towards R11 I thought the number of upgraders would be a little higher.

Not sure how those numbers usually look like when RS announces a new version.

Yonatan

28 Oct 2019

If lower version than 10, this 11 is a nice deal, especially if already using another main DAW. Then its like a buffet of new possibilities.
R10 users like myself may wait out the bug fix period and see what 10.1 might bring, or even 10.5. And at least wait for AU rack version and see how it rolls with Logic.

Will we see a whole 2 year cycle with 11 or will R12 come already after 1 year, that is also to consider. I mean, depends on the pace. A new name and logo means RS can break even more with past expectations.

And, if not acute need for R11 rack, I bet many of us have some other priorities on our wish lists on what may enhance our production.
Personally I will wait out Black Friday and probably also december deals to see what it brings. Also there are other REs steadily being released that might be more interesting than the 2 R11 modulation effects.

Am interested to see what Ezbass may bring. And Ujam bass are also on wish list and some players. Seems more fun to me than what R11 came with at release. Might maybe get R11 next year, but only if it brings more to the table.

Carpainter

28 Oct 2019

I upgraded to 11 from 9, which I bought after they added VST support. I still have all of my old discs, and I tend to go back to version 5 more often than not because it has no DRM. I have it installed on multiple computers and laptops because I can fire it up without an internet connection or a dongle. I would definitely use 11 more often if they didn't saddle it with burdensome DRM.

boomer

28 Oct 2019

Probably waiting until 11 is certified working with Mac Catalina. I understand once I switch to Catalina 10 will no longer work. Other than that I don’t see enough difference to my workflow to make the jump.

EnochLight

28 Oct 2019

I'm a little surprised to see Reason Suite so popular compared to vanilla 11.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

pushedbutton

28 Oct 2019

I talked my boss into upgrading Reason 8 to Reason 11 Suite but I failed to talk myself into upgrading from 10 at home.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

• Information