Simple volume ducking

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
diminished
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2019

Need your help again.

I want to automatically reduce the volume of a bus for a while when a signal is active in another bus.
Think: voice commentary for music.
I don't want any compression - just a simple gain reduction by X dB with a looong release time (1-2s) and a decent hold time.

Here's what I currently do:

I have a Selig Gain in my target bus, which reacts to the Gain Reduction CV Out from an MClass Comp in my triggering bus. The MClass Comp is wired as a dead end, it simply listens to the trigger bus and sends out CV.

Now the problem is, the MClass Comp reacts to volume fluctuations and you can hear it in the target bus. So basically, I'm looking for a way to"flatten out" the CV signal - how do I do it? I'm very open for suggestions of different tools for the job, too.
Last edited by diminished on 27 Oct 2019, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

diminished
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2019

Sigh. The minute I used the word hold time, I tried it with a G8 instead of MComp... got it working.

In case visitors from the future would like to know how:

Use the G8 Gate Env Out. With a slow attack, low threshold, long release time, a bit of hold time and maximum gain reduction.
Now trim the Fader CV input on the back side of Selig Gain (which is set to 'inv' by the way).

Still open to hearing different approaches :)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

• Information