Ableton Push 3?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
michal22

27 Oct 2019

Hi, I have been spending more and more time with Live 10. I am looking around for a good dedicated controller for a better workflow. I think of Ableton Push. There is currently version 2. How do you think ... will there be a version 3? I am asking for your thoughts on this subject. I wonder whether to buy Push 2 or wait for version 3.
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

EdGrip

27 Oct 2019

Get a used Push 2 now - you can always upgrade to a 3 if/when it is released, if you feel the need.
That's what I did. :) No point dreaming of a Push 3 when you could be jamming on a Push 2 right now.

michal22

27 Oct 2019

EdGrip wrote:
27 Oct 2019
Get a used Push 2 now - you can always upgrade to a 3 if/when it is released, if you feel the need.
That's what I did. :) No point dreaming of a Push 3 when you could be jamming on a Push 2 right now.
I would rather wait if the new version is to be released. I currently support Live via a regular midi controller, mouse and keyboard. Push is not an urgent need. I think more about testing on a push to see if it will improve the workflow. I do not want to stay with an older solution, which is still not cheap today, and later it will be a problem to sell it with a lot of loss. I mean more speculation whether Push 3 will see the light of day. Some people say that Push 2 is the last version. I don't want to believe it a bit.

michal22

27 Oct 2019

EdGrip wrote:
27 Oct 2019
Are you satisfied with Push?
Is it accelerated your work?
How impressions?

EdGrip

27 Oct 2019

I think it's safe to say there will be a Push 3 (or new hardware from Ableton, anyway).
It could be two years from now, or it could be next week.
The thing is, Push 2 is pretty flawless. MAYBE there might be a higher resolution screen if they released it today, maybe the pads could be even better (they're great already).

What I'm saying is, there's not an urgent need for Ableton to replace it - it's already the best hardware DAW controller out there.

I don't really have a workflow - I mainly use music software to play and learn and relax. But I am finding Push 2 to be really fun! I love playing with samples - it's really fun for that. It's great for quickly sequencing drum patterns and trying variations. The various melodic sequencers are great for quickly trying different analog/hardware-style sequences, and I love that you can also step-sequence automation! :D It's like having a more versatile Matrix sequencer that you can touch.

My favourite thing about it, though, is playing melodic instruments using the pads, set to different keys and scales. I play piano/keys (not properly, but I have been playing since I was a kid) and I find that I get stuck playing particular chords and melodies just out of habit and muscle memory, and it's a difficult rut to break free from. With the Push 2, it's just a different instrument, a completely different way of playing, a blank slate. You can still be expressive, but it's easy to find surprises and new patterns. And if you want a change, you can just select a different scale. Or you can rotate the pad layout 90 degrees (it's a setting), or set the layout to ascend in 3rds rather than 4ths. For me, this ability to free your fingers of their old habits is my favourite feature of Push 2.

But you could also finger-drum hip-hop beats, or do a live "hardware" acid jam, or make ambient noise, or simply use it to trigger clips and scenes. It's versatile, it's fast, and FUN.

I need to buy a sustain pedal.

michal22

28 Oct 2019

EdGrip wrote:
27 Oct 2019
I think it's safe to say there will be a Push 3 ...
Thanks for your thoughts and impressions of playing. It's very helpful. I need to try it personally sometime. :)

dioxide

28 Oct 2019

Probably worth having a look or asking on the Ableton forums. I'm unsure of how long it took between v1 and v2, but someone over there will probably know.

miyaru

28 Oct 2019

Go for it, you can wait 'till Push3 comes, but then again Push4 is on it's way!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

EdGrip

28 Oct 2019

miyaru wrote:
28 Oct 2019
Go for it, you can wait 'till Push3 comes, but then again Push4 is on it's way!
This is very true!

Push 2 came pretty quickly after Push, I think because Ableton decided that they could do a better job than Akai, who manufactured Push 1.
Push came out in 2013, Push 2 in 2015.

zoidkirb

28 Oct 2019

if you are good at playing keys already, i think that takes away some of the appeal for push, because that gives the option of looking for a cheap launchpad pro to record, launch and edit clips and play your racks with.

Steven Fox

19 Sep 2020

I found this post asking myself the same thing as you! Hehe

Certainly I have not found any information about it, the only thing I found is a page in Spanish about Ableton, where they comment on certain wishes of people for Ableton Push 3

If you translate the page with google it is not difficult to understand!

If someone finds a website that contains information about it, I would be very grateful!

kinkujin

22 Sep 2020

As a Push 1 user, I'm interested in the Push 3 coming out because that means that the Push 2 will then be even cheaper for me to pick up.

Honestly, the Push is one of my favorite pieces of gear ... as said above it really allows one to get out of old keyboard habits and patterns. I can play it like I can never play a keyboard. I love it.

fullforce

25 Sep 2020

kinkujin wrote:
22 Sep 2020
As a Push 1 user, I'm interested in the Push 3 coming out because that means that the Push 2 will then be even cheaper for me to pick up.

Honestly, the Push is one of my favorite pieces of gear ... as said above it really allows one to get out of old keyboard habits and patterns. I can play it like I can never play a keyboard. I love it.
It's a fantastic piece of kit, I also have a Push 1. I'm just so amazed at what it can do, that I hardly do anything with it. But eventually I'll get back on that horse.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Re8et
Competition Winner

01 Oct 2020

I know it can run ORAC, with special scripts, just recently discovered.
It looks awesome but I have jus looked at some youtube vids.
No idea there was a Push 3 on the line.

• Information