Blamsoft status?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
EdGrip

14 Oct 2019

Yeah, cheers for VK-2 - I love that synth!

raymondh

14 Oct 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
13 Oct 2019
Blamsoft wrote:
13 Oct 2019
I feel that AR, data science (ML/AI), GPU computing, web APIs, and quantum programming are skills needed for a professional software developer going forward.
Quantum programming?! :shock: Sounds heavy. Like it's there, but not really. Only when obsevered?! This stuff blows my mind :? I love all this kind of thing but I don't understand much of it at all. Quantum physics is just nuts but I'm fascinated to understand how it relates in the context of audio applications ...... I think! Maybe I shouldn't go there :|
Apparently it is still quite a way off. The issue I think being that quantum entanglement is really noisy so they need vast amounts of qubits for error correction.

In terms of applications, I think it's all about being able to scale. For music, imagine if you could have hundreds of VK-2 instances in a single song :)

scratchnsnifff

14 Oct 2019

This one case of a developer leaving due to platform decisions is so sad imo

As for topping expanse, I feel like blamsoft is the type of company to always out do itself

I assume it wasn’t just vst in Reason that made them jump, but some other technical reason or another

I really do think that they could keep on making more creative synths and effects. Plus they haven’t touched all forms of synthesis yet. So the door is always open for them to make a comeback

I just wish this played out different. God damn I hate the business world sometimes lol
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
13 Oct 2019
I’m hoping one day quantum computing will be able to calculate all the possible ways I could finish a song and then pick the one that doesn’t suck :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I need it too.

aeox
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2019

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
14 Oct 2019
chimp_spanner wrote:
13 Oct 2019
I’m hoping one day quantum computing will be able to calculate all the possible ways I could finish a song and then pick the one that doesn’t suck :lol:
I need this

diminished
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2019

Loopop used the AUs when he showcased how to use an iPhone as an external effects board :)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

raymondh

14 Oct 2019

aeox wrote:
14 Oct 2019
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
14 Oct 2019

I need this
haha sign me up too!

ltbrunt00

14 Oct 2019

My guess if Blamsoft is going to try to compete against all these great VST instruments and out due their own Rack extensions they are probably in the basement working on their next opus.

Does anyone know how big the development team at Blamsoft is? If it really small it could take them time to come up with their next device.

I am sure now that they have a following they may be looking to cash in and go wit their own VST, Kontakt, or RE again.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

challism

15 Oct 2019

ltbrunt00 wrote:
14 Oct 2019
Does anyone know how big the development team at Blamsoft is? If it really small it could take them time to come up with their next device.
Here's a picture of their headquarters. he he he
headquarters_small.png
headquarters_small.png (486.54 KiB) Viewed 10132 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Loque

15 Oct 2019

challism wrote:
15 Oct 2019
ltbrunt00 wrote:
14 Oct 2019
headquarters_small.png
:lol:
Reason12, Win10

antic604

15 Oct 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
13 Oct 2019
Quantum programming?! :shock: Sounds heavy. Like it's there, but not really. Only when obsevered?! This stuff blows my mind :?
Don't we have that already? Same music for different observers can be at once "fire" and "shit". Also, for us as musicians / producers you can either perceive / enjoy music (hear it when not looking at it) or only see the components but not the big picture (when analyzing it).

j/k ;) :D

miscend

15 Oct 2019

challism wrote:
15 Oct 2019
ltbrunt00 wrote:
14 Oct 2019
headquarters_small.png
Most of that building is admin and catering staff. They have one developer, he works remotely from home.

miscend

15 Oct 2019

Blamsoft wrote:
13 Oct 2019
There are several reasons why I have not released an RE, but the main one is career skills. I feel that AR, data science (ML/AI), GPU computing, web APIs, and quantum programming are skills needed for a professional software developer going forward. These technologies, especially AR, ML, and web APIs, have musical possibilities in the next few years. Traditional DSP is still important but in my opinion needs sophisticated math libraries to go beyond what is already available. Due to various technical reasons, I don’t feel that the RE platform in its current state is the best way to incorporate new technology into designs. There are many aspects of the RE platform, some of the financial aspects are easily discussed but some aspects are technical and I will not go into detail. You may see another RE released that is in development. And as always, I support all existing software. I’ve had a lot of fun collaborations, betas, competitions, and interaction with users. You may see updates at any time in the future but nothing planned at the moment.
In other words the bigwigs over at the Blamsoft HQ building want to move into more lucrative emerging markets such as immersive computing. The RE/AU/VST plugin business is no longer the main focus.

Blamsoft
RE Developer

16 Oct 2019

True, I work from home.

ltbrunt00

24 Oct 2019

I think between Expanse and Vk-2 Blamsoft created two of the best instruments in Rack Extension format.
I tell everyone I know that has started using reason to get VK-2 and Expanse.
I was doing the rent to own for Serum and dumped it the minute I trialed Expanse.

Sounds like he is hitting the books and going to put the new skills to use on an amazing future product somewhere.
I am sure whatever Blamsoft creates will be a fan favorite.

Blamsoft
RE Developer

26 Oct 2019

ltbrunt00 wrote:
24 Oct 2019
I think between Expanse and Vk-2 Blamsoft created two of the best instruments in Rack Extension format.
I was doing the rent to own for Serum and dumped it the minute I trialed Expanse.

Sounds like he is hitting the books and going to put the new skills to use on an amazing future product somewhere.
Thanks, I appreciate this.

dhruan

26 Oct 2019

ltbrunt00 wrote:
24 Oct 2019
I totally agree with this, those two are at the very top for me too *. Killers sound wise and fun to operate, worth every penny and more. <3

* This despite VK-2 having that "viking" helmet logo (historically they didn't have horned helmets, you can blame ze germans and their national romantic era need for an invented ancestral history and myths for that imagery). ;)
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

EnochLight

26 Oct 2019

Blamsoft wrote:
13 Oct 2019
There are several reasons why I have not released an RE, but the main one is career skills. I feel that AR, data science (ML/AI), GPU computing, web APIs, and quantum programming are skills needed for a professional software developer going forward. These technologies, especially AR, ML, and web APIs, have musical possibilities in the next few years. Traditional DSP is still important but in my opinion needs sophisticated math libraries to go beyond what is already available. Due to various technical reasons, I don’t feel that the RE platform in its current state is the best way to incorporate new technology into designs.
To play devil's advocate: by that metric, VST is no different. So to be blunt - now that Reason supports VST and it exists as a plugin in other DAW, you're tapped? :geek: :ugeek: I mean, that's cool and all. For what it's worth, what you (and your collab with eXode) came up with was awesome. Some of my favorite stuff in Reason!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Re8et
Competition Winner

26 Oct 2019

ltbrunt00 wrote:
24 Oct 2019

That is what I always tell to my friends who still are on :puf_bigsmile: Reason 5... But you don't have Viking-2.... :roll:

Blamsoft
RE Developer

26 Oct 2019

EnochLight wrote:
26 Oct 2019
To play devil's advocate: by that metric, VST is no different. So to be blunt - now that Reason supports VST and it exists as a plugin in other DAW, you're tapped? :geek: :ugeek: I mean, that's cool and all. For what it's worth, what you (and your collab with eXode) came up with was awesome. Some of my favorite stuff in Reason!
One of my statements was not clearly worded. Sophisticated math libraries do exist in various forms and levels of optimization already. Eigen and Accelerate are examples. But you’re correct, I have no current plan to develop a VST.

raymondh

27 Oct 2019

+1 on how great VK-2 and Expanse are.

I also really like Zero - a very nice 'digital' / additive synth.
Last edited by raymondh on 28 Oct 2019, edited 1 time in total.

ltbrunt00

28 Oct 2019

It's funny that I forgot to mention Zero being that I use zero in some form in every reason project. many times using zero to spark the initial idea even if I replace the sound later on in the project. I sometimes forget that Zero was created by Blamsoft. I think Zero is even better than VK-2 and I love VK-2.

Zac

29 Oct 2019

Zero is one of those synths that I wish I could randomise parameters on. The fm matrix especially.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

29 Oct 2019

Zac wrote:
29 Oct 2019
Zero is one of those synths that I wish I could randomise parameters on. The fm matrix especially.
My patch randomiser could do that... will require a little setting up for the FM matrix.... as it only works on 476 parameters but we can choose what those are :)

• Information