Chairs ~ the right one for long sessions?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
RobC

24 Oct 2019

If I need to lean back, it means I need to take a break. Not that I could afford anything special/luxurious to begin with.

For me, I think this kneeling medical thingy will be the ideal.

I tops use midi keys, pads, and controllers, so all desktop. And vocals, but that doesn't matter in this case.

xboix

24 Oct 2019

I used a kneeling chair for a while but it put too much pressure on my knees/shins.

Best solution is a quality office chair and wandering off to make a coffer or something at least once per hour.

RobC

25 Oct 2019

xboix wrote:
24 Oct 2019
I used a kneeling chair for a while but it put too much pressure on my knees/shins.

Best solution is a quality office chair and wandering off to make a coffer or something at least once per hour.
Only problem is I can't afford a quality office chair.
However, the medical one I found, is affordable.

I'll probably add extra foam/blanket if it gets uncomfortable on bones. Or return it if it's really not working for me.

xboix

25 Oct 2019

RobC wrote:
25 Oct 2019
xboix wrote:
24 Oct 2019

Only problem is I can't afford a quality office chair.
However, the medical one I found, is affordable.

I'll probably add extra foam/blanket if it gets uncomfortable on bones. Or return it if it's really not working for me.
Office surplus places often have good ones at ridiculous prices.

Having re-read my previous post I think you should probably aim to take regular coffee breaks rather than coffer beaks, unless you have lots and lots of valuables.

plaamook

25 Oct 2019

I've just got one that's a lttle higher than you'd think was ideal, and backless.
I used to get all sorts of neck problems and so on after intense periods of composing but backless?... No probs. You need to use your body to get comfortable rathe than slumping but you get used to it.
My 2p anyway. Try to use your body to support itself rather than the furnature.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

brand

25 Oct 2019

I got this one also because of the flip-up arms: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KU ... UTF8&psc=1
Not bad for the money.
Also upgraded to these casters: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CG ... UTF8&psc=1. Very Smooth.

full-of-life

26 Oct 2019

unlock the benefits of movement while sitting? I've a classic Swopper chair.

kitekrazy

27 Oct 2019

The best ones are around $900. There's a discussion about this on another forum. Meanwhile I'm trying to do the standing desk on a budget.

miscend

28 Oct 2019

Sitting on a chair for hours will weaken the back. In Japan they sit on the floor and have less back problems in old age. A good alternative is to sit on an exercise ball.

RobC

28 Oct 2019

It's also suggested that the monitor is at the same height as our eyes. There may be something to this. Currently it's lower, and I tend to also "collapse" my back in this shape -> ")", so I'm on the same level. If it was too high, I did the same while turning my head up.

I also want to give the kneeling chair a try because I kind of have hopes for better focus.

I need and want to start working out anyway.

Fotu

28 Oct 2019

brand wrote:
25 Oct 2019
I got this one also because of the flip-up arms: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KU ... UTF8&psc=1
Not bad for the money.
Also upgraded to these casters: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CG ... UTF8&psc=1. Very Smooth.
That looks similar to my Office Max chair with flip-up arms, but different enought it may be a different manufacturer... Do you find it quiet under weight shifts? My chair will squeak from somewhere inaccessible in the seat area if I lean forward / back. Not a huge deal, but annoying to tend to when recording with a mic.

brand

28 Oct 2019

Fotu wrote:
28 Oct 2019
That looks similar to my Office Max chair with flip-up arms, but different enought it may be a different manufacturer... Do you find it quiet under weight shifts? My chair will squeak from somewhere inaccessible in the seat area if I lean forward / back. Not a huge deal, but annoying to tend to when recording with a mic.
Well, I have no squeaks. It's a pretty inexpensive chair, but I've had it for a while, and so far, it's as quiet as mouse (a mouse that doesn't squeak, that is :lol: ). Too bad you can't access the source. I can definitely see how that could give you some unwanted sounds in the mic. I checked the reviews of the chair, and some people said it was super quiet, and some said it squeaks. Maybe it's luck of the draw, or maybe it's assembly.

Fotu

29 Oct 2019

brand wrote:
28 Oct 2019
Fotu wrote:
28 Oct 2019
Well, I have no squeaks. It's a pretty inexpensive chair, but I've had it for a while, and so far, it's as quiet as mouse (a mouse that doesn't squeak, that is :lol: ). Too bad you can't access the source. I can definitely see how that could give you some unwanted sounds in the mic. I checked the reviews of the chair, and some people said it was super quiet, and some said it squeaks. Maybe it's luck of the draw, or maybe it's assembly.
Thanks @brand... I may chance the Amazon purchase for a possible upgrade. The squeak in mine seems to be deep in the seat area where WD40 can't go... :(

RobC

01 Nov 2019

Kneeling chair from the medical supplier came in yesterday. Seems comfy. Docs know what's good for their asses. Good quality, too for the money. Also has these rolling thingies that you can screw in. Didn't add them though, cause I'm not gonna scoot around with it.

Ps. wow, they even sell black "exit bags" 50 cm x 200 cm.

motuscott

03 Nov 2019

RobC wrote:
01 Nov 2019
Kneeling chair from the medical supplier came in yesterday. Seems comfy. Docs know what's good for their asses. Good quality, too for the money. Also has these rolling thingies that you can screw in. Didn't add them though, cause I'm not gonna scoot around with it.

Good on you.
Don't undersell scooting around, it's kinda fun.

Exit bags, now you're scaring me. WTF
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

RobC

05 Nov 2019

motuscott wrote:
03 Nov 2019
RobC wrote:
01 Nov 2019

Good on you.
Don't undersell scooting around, it's kinda fun.

Exit bags, now you're scaring me. WTF
I may give it a try, but I can't really scoot around here.

It's a medical supplier, that sells pretty much everything.

RobC

06 Nov 2019

MrFigg wrote:
23 Oct 2019
Get one that keeps your back straight. Ergonomic all the way.
So, I got one, and now I have one more question: the so-called "much better quality" kneeling chairs, which have back-support... : ) What's the point of that on a kneeling chair? It's pretty much near impossible I'd ever lean back. Well, maybe they can sell it for more. I for one don't miss that from my kneeling chair at all.

• Information