Different ways to shape a sound for distortion

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Loque

30 Sep 2019

Here is a example showing how you can shape a sound with EQ+Distortion+Compressor+Limiters+EnvelopShapers+... to create your final sound. This is not to be ment as a real sound example, rather a "how to" connect different devices and have an easy way to fiddle around in different stages and hear the result. I connected different overdrive/distortion units which are available in stock. I did not connected the the Malström and Thor Wave Shapers, because it is messy enough and novice Reason users may already get a headache.

For sound shaping i took a 909-like kick, and added an FX chain in a parallel track. The final bus also adds shaping. The main shapin in the parallel channel consists of:
1. Compressor (which also works as an envelope follower)
2. Kong with Envelope Shaper and Overdrive
3. An EQ
4. The main Distortion (Tube) with Scream4
5. A Envelop follower based on Scream4 controlling some parameters
6. Another EQ for output shaping
7. A soft-limiter (sorry, there is real clipper in Reason, or?)
8. The Echo as another Overdrive at the end
9. (for phase invertion check out the SSL channel)

Everything is a bit documented. You need Reason 11 and a few free devices. Play around with each unit and its parameters and check the impact to the sound. Have fun with experimenting.
everythingtoshape.zip
(221.97 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Reason12, Win10

DougalDarkly

30 Sep 2019

Deleted
Last edited by DougalDarkly on 09 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

30 Sep 2019

DougalDarkly wrote:
30 Sep 2019
Loque wrote:
30 Sep 2019
You need Reason 11 and a few free devices.
Aah man! It's only been 5 days and I'm getting locked out of the cool shit already! :D

FWIW, your post makes for a more compelling reason to upgrade than RS's marketing has done so far - they need to get back on those tips and tricks vids with the new devices!
Hum...yea, maybe :-D

All this can be done with older Reason versions too. I just used the SSL stuff in the rack, so its not compatible and i cannot save songs for older Reason versions AFAIK.
Reason12, Win10

Mike B

25 Oct 2019

Loque wrote:
30 Sep 2019
Here is a example showing how you can shape a sound with EQ+Distortion+Compressor+Limiters+EnvelopShapers+... to create your final sound. This is not to be ment as a real sound example, rather a "how to" connect different devices and have an easy way to fiddle around in different stages and hear the result. I connected different overdrive/distortion units which are available in stock. I did not connected the the Malström and Thor Wave Shapers, because it is messy enough and novice Reason users may already get a headache.

For sound shaping i took a 909-like kick, and added an FX chain in a parallel track. The final bus also adds shaping. The main shapin in the parallel channel consists of:
1. Compressor (which also works as an envelope follower)
2. Kong with Envelope Shaper and Overdrive
3. An EQ
4. The main Distortion (Tube) with Scream4
5. A Envelop follower based on Scream4 controlling some parameters
6. Another EQ for output shaping
7. A soft-limiter (sorry, there is real clipper in Reason, or?)
8. The Echo as another Overdrive at the end
9. (for phase invertion check out the SSL channel)

Everything is a bit documented. You need Reason 11 and a few free devices. Play around with each unit and its parameters and check the impact to the sound. Have fun with experimenting.
everythingtoshape.zip

Downloaded! I am excited to experiment with this :puf_bigsmile: Thank you again for your time and effort :thumbs_up:

• Information