Sequences from Robotic Bean - 1.3 is out!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MannequinRaces

17 Oct 2019

Sequences keeps getting better and better! Thanks for supporting this device after release.

chimp_spanner

18 Oct 2019

Players are fast becoming the most exciting feature for me in Reason. Having dabbled a bit with Studio One and been impressed with its pattern sequencer...I realised that I had that functionality all along in Players (and undoubtedly more-so as you can chain and combine things). Sequences 1.2 is brilliant. Thanks so much!

reddust

18 Oct 2019

nice, thanks a lot for the update

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2019

Mad respect to RB for improving and improving the device and for keeping promises. As you can tell I was afraid of it being abandonware from the day it got released because of PSS, so happy to be proven wrong :)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

VariableX

18 Oct 2019

diminished wrote:
18 Oct 2019
Mad respect to RB for improving and improving the device and for keeping promises. As you can tell I was afraid of it being abandonware from the day it got released because of PSS, so happy to be proven wrong :)
I dont own either, but I bet PSS never gets updates? This is just my observations but RS devices only get bug fix updates never functionality updates? Oh, I just remembered Europa got a decent functionality update, but have they ever had functionality updates with their players?

aeox
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2019

I accidentally clicked the rating with a 3 star.. oops!

Wish I could remove that rating because it was a simple misclick
Last edited by aeox on 20 Oct 2019, edited 1 time in total.

forshaw

19 Oct 2019

oh yes! i'm demoing sequences right now and will buy it, this sequencer is like a dream come true for live performing, when i change patterns they change instantly, is there a setting to make the pattern change at the end of the sequence, click the button on another pattern and the pattern doesn't change till it reaches the end of that sequence? cheers

Vil
RE Developer

19 Oct 2019

I have to be agree with all positive feedback! I love this device!
My favorite new feature is the new recording modes!
So far, I didn't think it might be missing, but this feature opens a new ways for the creativity! :)

buddard
RE Developer

20 Oct 2019

forshaw wrote:
19 Oct 2019
oh yes! i'm demoing sequences right now and will buy it, this sequencer is like a dream come true for live performing, when i change patterns they change instantly, is there a setting to make the pattern change at the end of the sequence, click the button on another pattern and the pattern doesn't change till it reaches the end of that sequence? cheers
There's no such setting, at least not at the moment -- We might consider it, although it's also a question of not cluttering up the UI too much. :-)

However, there's a workaround if you're not too averse to using Combinators and CV:
  1. Download our FREE Select CV Switch RE
  2. Put your instrument and Sequences inside a Combinator (you can select both of them, right click and choose Combine)
  3. Drag an instance of Select CV Switch into the combinator
  4. Connect the Select CV Output to one of the CV inputs on the Combinator, and set this CV input to Unipolar (this is important!)
  5. In the Combinator programmer, route the Combinator's CV input to Pattern Select on Sequences
  6. On Select CV Switch, set the snap setting to your liking (Default is 4/4)
  7. Switch patterns on Sequences by clicking the buttons on Select CV Switch. You can of course also automate them

artotaku

20 Oct 2019

buddard wrote:
20 Oct 2019
forshaw wrote:
19 Oct 2019
There's no such setting, at least not at the moment -- We might consider it, although it's also a question of not cluttering up the UI too much. :-)

However, there's a workaround if you're not too averse to using Combinators and CV:
  2. Put your instrument and Sequences inside a Combinator (you can select both of them, right click and choose Combine)
  4. Connect the Select CV Output to one of the CV inputs on the Combinator, and set this CV input to Unipolar (this is important!)
  5. In the Combinator programmer, route the Combinator's CV input to Pattern Select on Sequences
  7. Switch patterns on Sequences by clicking the buttons on Select CV Switch. You can of course also automate them
If you ever make an update to Select CV Switch please consider making 9 (-1 to 7, with an off value) instead of 8 steps available so it corresponds to the amount of patterns available on all player devices (Off to 8). This would be very handy to switch all patterns (including the off pattern value) in sync.

forshaw

20 Oct 2019

buddard wrote:
20 Oct 2019

thanks for that, it works great :thumbs_up:

ljekio

21 Oct 2019

My personal thanks for empty default preset now. :)

PhillipOrdonez

21 Oct 2019

Thank you for the update!

buddard
RE Developer

21 Oct 2019

ljekio wrote:
21 Oct 2019
My personal thanks for empty default preset now. :)
Haha, yeah it didn't make any sense to have notes there anymore since the pattern is no longer cleared when you start recording. :-)

buddard
RE Developer

21 Oct 2019

artotaku wrote:
20 Oct 2019
If you ever make an update to Select CV Switch please consider making 9 (-1 to 7, with an off value) instead of 8 steps available so it corresponds to the amount of patterns available on all player devices (Off to 8). This would be very handy to switch all patterns (including the off pattern value) in sync.
Well, actually, I started playing around a bit with Select after reading your comment, and ended up with this after about an hour (new button on the far left):

Select_Update.png
Select_Update.png (62.1 KiB) Viewed 12375 times

Out of necessity (backwards compatibility), the "Off" position comes after channel 8 on Select, which you will see when you automate it. But it's of course mapped to negative CV values so that it plays nicely with all 8-pattern devices, at least the ones I have: Sequences and Drum Sequencer.

I don't have Kompulsion nor PolyStep to test with, but I'm pretty sure they will work exactly the same way. :D

Boombastix
Competition Winner

21 Oct 2019

buddard wrote:
21 Oct 2019
Well, actually, I started playing around a bit with Select after reading your comment, and ended up with this after about an hour (new button on the far left):
You guys should run Reason Studios - yeah I got a fix after 1h :shock: :lol: :thumbs_up:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

artotaku

22 Oct 2019

buddard wrote:
21 Oct 2019
Out of necessity (backwards compatibility), the "Off" position comes after channel 8 on Select, which you will see when you automate it. But it's of course mapped to negative CV values so that it plays nicely with all 8-pattern devices, at least the ones I have: Sequences and Drum Sequencer.
I´m thinking about how this affects the Remote side of things right now if the off position is after channel 8... if I have mapped a knob or a list of buttons of midi controller to a combinator rotary which is mapped to the "Channel" property all channels would be off if the rotary is at max value ~127, right? In my remote codec for the Launchpad I have mapped 8 pads to values 0 - 127 assuming that 0 is always off (pattern off). So if the off value is after channel 8 I´d have to change my codec.
What about the CV Select In Index jacket. You´d send CV 1.0 value to set it it "off" and not 0.0, right?

So maybe a second property could be added to the device and exposed to the combinator and to Remote where the off value is the first one and both the old and the new one are updated. Or a "compatibility" switch.

buddard
RE Developer

22 Oct 2019

artotaku wrote:
22 Oct 2019
buddard wrote:
21 Oct 2019
I´m thinking about how this affects the Remote side of things right now if the off position is after channel 8... if I have mapped a knob or a list of buttons of midi controller to a combinator rotary which is mapped to the "Channel" property all channels would be off if the rotary is at max value ~127, right?
That is correct. Because if I set Off to 0, then all the other channels will have to shift upwards one step, breaking every song where this device is used -- Especially since almost the whole point of the device is to automate the channel changes. :D
In my remote codec for the Launchpad I have mapped 8 pads to values 0 - 127 assuming that 0 is always off (pattern off). So if the off value is after channel 8 I´d have to change my codec.
Yes, I'm afraid so.
What about the CV Select In Index jacket. You´d send CV 1.0 value to set it it "off" and not 0.0, right?
No, the Select in/out jacks have to work the other way around if they are supposed to work with Pattern REs "out of the box", since the Pattern Select property's range is [Off, 1, 2, 3, .., 8). So Select in will select "off" when the CV value is < 0.
So maybe a second property could be added to the device and exposed to the combinator and to Remote where the off value is the first one and both the old and the new one are updated. Or a "compatibility" switch.
Maybe, but I fear that it will add to the kludginess... The compatibility switch will have to be set to backwards compatible mode by default, so you'd have to flip it manually every time you want to use Select in this way. And to boot there's not much more room on the panels for an extra switch, much less to add a reasonable label for it....

Maybe adding the Off state to the Channel property isn't such a good idea after all? What if On/Off was a separate property, would that make it better or worse from a Remote perspective?

Or maybe it would be better to just create a separate RE to handle quantized pattern changes, instead of hacking Select for this purpose?

buddard
RE Developer

23 Oct 2019

In our latest Quick Tip video, Anders takes a closer look at the new recording modes in Sequences 1.2:

artotaku

23 Oct 2019

buddard wrote:
22 Oct 2019
No, the Select in/out jacks have to work the other way around if they are supposed to work with Pattern REs "out of the box", since the Pattern Select property's range is [Off, 1, 2, 3, .., 8). So Select in will select "off" when the CV value is < 0.
In that case the workaround for me would be to skip the combinator and connect a CV8X4 direclty to the select CV in and remote map the rotary on the CV8X4. Then, no change is necessary in my remote codec.
buddard wrote:
22 Oct 2019
Or maybe it would be better to just create a separate RE to handle quantized pattern changes, instead of hacking Select for this purpose?
Yes, I think the cleanest approach would be a separate device since would also allow to cleanly map the channel selection in the combinator programmer.

ljekio

23 Oct 2019

artotaku wrote:
23 Oct 2019

Yes, I think the cleanest approach would be a separate device since would also allow to cleanly map the channel selection in the combinator programmer.
"Select pattern" CV socket on the back of Sequence :)

artotaku

23 Oct 2019

ljekio wrote:
23 Oct 2019
artotaku wrote:
23 Oct 2019

"Select pattern" CV socket on the back of Sequence :)
Yes, then we´d stay in the "CV realm" and need no combinator at all for Sequences. For other pattern based players combinator is still needed unless they´d offer this as well.
It´s a bit unfortunate that players can only send MIDI notes to another player otherwise one could implement a generic "Synced Pattern Switch Player" that - when attached to any player - could switch patterns and no CV cabling is needed at all - or as a different approach - the RE SDK would offer something to switch patterns in a synced way that developers could just use.
Last edited by artotaku on 23 Oct 2019, edited 1 time in total.

ljekio

23 Oct 2019

Yes, then we´d stay in the "CV realm" and need no combinator at all for Sequences. For other pattern based players combinator is still needed unless they´d offer this as well.
I guess it must be "industry standard" for pattern devices :)

Reasonable man

23 Oct 2019

buddard wrote:
23 Oct 2019
In our latest Quick Tip video, Anders takes a closer look at the new recording modes in Sequences 1.2:

Ah see this makes everything better and unique. The problem i always had with most sequencers is the predictability of everything being quantised , on the beat and on time making sequences boring and unmusical after a short time. This is great for imitating alot of 80's Vince clark sytle sequences but very predictable .
Although Insert mode is still quantised it gives a much more musical approach to record a slighly syncopated sequence from the off which makes this sequencer a cut above Polystep/quadnote and many other Vst sequencers in my book. Thankyou for adding this feature ...its a massive time saver and well thought out.

buddard
RE Developer

25 Oct 2019

Yet another Quick Tip from Anders, this time about the new Root Key setting:

• Information