Perfect coffee beans and type

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
w1pl0c

22 Oct 2019

Whenever I travel I make sure to come home with a bag of coffee from that location.

Good way to extend your trip vibes.

Sterioevo

22 Oct 2019

I have one of these for when I am out bush off the grid.
https://www.rok.coffee
Always gets the interest of any other coffee lovers who might be around. Makes a great (and strong) coffee as well.

RobC

23 Oct 2019

bxbrkrz wrote:
21 Oct 2019
This is what I have since April 2018. It is not a machine.
https://gourmetcoffeeusa.com/product/os ... jo-castle/
So far so good. I started drinking coffee 5 years ago maybe. Very limited experience. The only reason I got this one was the handle design. The 'classic vintage' Bialetti design is horrible for me. Too close to the heat, couldn't hold it fully. Not fun.
My next stovetop (after the one I have now eventually brakes) will be stainless steel with a great designed handle (away from the heat, no heat transfer). I like the simple stovetop design.
Ah, the italian style moka. Alright, I gotta admit, that I did have good coffees with those before, but my late experiences were pretty horrid, so that's why I gave up on it. The built-it filter machine works better for me. Espresso machine not so much (or I bought a bad one a few years back).
selig wrote:
22 Oct 2019
Beyond the beans…The smoothest cup of coffee I've made is with a reverse siphon system, second best with air-press. Still prefer espresso/latte machines for every day, but a good French press works great too for a slightly different taste experience.

As for additives: heavy cream is tops for me,, whole milk for a good latte, butter for a "bullet-proof" style coffee. IF I add any sweeteners, it's most likely maple syrup (maybe once a month tops, if that).
The machine that I used for making espresso makes some horribly bitter thing even out of good, freshly ground beans. Also, has no crema, so not sure what it makes, but reviews said it's disgusting what it makes. So I guess it's not about the espresso.

These press-style coffees interest me. The devices don't seem to cost much. But, how does it actually taste?

Personally, I don't fancy frothing milk. I can do it, but it's not my thing. Truth be told, I actually don't need crema either. I like a clean black coffee as a base, then add cream, and sugar. Maybe whipped cream on top (I'm fine with the cheap bottled stuff).

While I want to get off of sugar, without it, coffee is just bitter and sad for me.
aeox wrote:
22 Oct 2019
Try dulce de leche instead of sugar and thank me later :)
Haven't really tried that yet - although I know how to make it - and even made some before. Next morning it was gone! D :< So much for preparing some. I have to hide it next time.
w1pl0c wrote:
22 Oct 2019
Whenever I travel I make sure to come home with a bag of coffee from that location.

Good way to extend your trip vibes.
Huh, you might have a little collection then. Though they go off after a year or so.
Sterioevo wrote:
22 Oct 2019
I have one of these for when I am out bush off the grid.
https://www.rok.coffee
Always gets the interest of any other coffee lovers who might be around. Makes a great (and strong) coffee as well.
Okay, that does look like a clever solution!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2019

I’ve got a Moccamaster. Brews the coffee at 97 degrees instead of 100 which apparently is optimal. Gotta say I’m really happy with it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

aeox
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2019

MrFigg wrote:
23 Oct 2019
I’ve got a Moccamaster. Brews the coffee at 97 degrees instead of 100 which apparently is optimal. Gotta say I’m really happy with it.
Temp is very important! Completely changes the flavor :D

RobC

23 Oct 2019

MrFigg wrote:
23 Oct 2019
I might try doing it manually once to see if I can beat the machine here. I do have a laser thingy to measure temp. after all.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2019

RobC wrote:
23 Oct 2019
MrFigg wrote:
23 Oct 2019
I might try doing it manually once to see if I can beat the machine here. I do have a laser thingy to measure temp. after all.
Fuck that. Get a Moccamaster. Telling you man. You won’t regret it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

RobC

23 Oct 2019

MrFigg wrote:
23 Oct 2019
RobC wrote:
23 Oct 2019

Fuck that. Get a Moccamaster. Telling you man. You won’t regret it.
Might try it sometime, but we just got a coffee machine! x )

Boombastix
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2019

Reverse osmosis filtered water + 50% Sumatra - and I'm GOOD!
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

RobC

24 Oct 2019

Boombastix wrote:
24 Oct 2019
Reverse osmosis filtered water + 50% Sumatra - and I'm GOOD!
Filter water? Well, yeah what floats on top of my coffee, usually looks pretty nasty; same with tea.

OliverBlack77

25 Oct 2019

There are 2 factors at play that make it a bit difficult to know how to answer that tbh.

1) Generally speaking you want to grind the beans just before you use them as this will allow for the best flavour/etc.

2) A low quality grinder will not give you the best grind and hence not the best results.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that it is likely that the grinder built into your machine isn't the best one ever. I imagine that a pack of pre-ground beans will give you better results for the first day or so but after that you'll get much better results by using beans. Perhaps it depends on how much coffee you drink :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Oct 2019

First produced in Glasgow in 1876. You won’t get better. And it’s got a kilted Scotsman on the label.
Your quest ends here man.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Coffee

:)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

25 Oct 2019

MrFigg wrote:
25 Oct 2019
First produced in Glasgow in 1876. You won’t get better. And it’s got a kilted Scotsman on the label.
Your quest ends here man.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Coffee

:)
Wikipedia wrote:Camp Coffee is a brown liquid, consisting of water, sugar, 4% caffeine-free[citation needed] coffee essence, and 26% chicory essence. It is generally used as a substitute for coffee, by mixing with hot water or with warm milk in much the same way as cocoa, or added to cold milk and ice to make an iced coffee. It is commonly found in the free-from or baking aisles of supermarkets because it is also used as an ingredient in coffee cake and other confectionery.
:? :| :D
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

RobC

25 Oct 2019

OliverBlack77 wrote:
25 Oct 2019
There are 2 factors at play that make it a bit difficult to know how to answer that tbh.

1) Generally speaking you want to grind the beans just before you use them as this will allow for the best flavour/etc.

2) A low quality grinder will not give you the best grind and hence not the best results.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that it is likely that the grinder built into your machine isn't the best one ever. I imagine that a pack of pre-ground beans will give you better results for the first day or so but after that you'll get much better results by using beans. Perhaps it depends on how much coffee you drink :)
I tried grinding with it for espresso, but even with grinding twice, it was the roughness for filter coffee. The beans have awesome aroma, and it's better after they are ground. The coffee is much better than anything I had at home before, so is the aroma in the room even hours after preparing.

All in all, it does the trick. Pretty well at that. One of the selling points was that it can be timed to automatically make the coffee. So #1 is definitely covered. #2 - I would say it's at least good if not the best.

RobC

05 Dec 2019

Can anyone give me some input, please?

I'm thinking about trying one of these coffees by Starbucks:

Starbucks Blonde Espresso Roast
Starbucks Pike Place

Neither are dark roast, so it should be fine for filter coffee. I prefer delicious aroma and less bitterness, and more acidity. Reviews aren't overly enthusiastic about Pike Place, and I couldn't find much info about the Blonde one.

Anyone know what I can expect?

Illy is also has some discount this week here. Medium roast. That better be the holy grail! I have high hopes for that one.

• Information