Thoughts on 11 (but not the rack) so far?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
reggie1979

15 Oct 2019

The reason rack isn't my cup o' Joe, I'm mainly interested in thoughts for those demoing or owning 11 coming from 10.4.

I have to admit, I'm not making much music these days (poor health) and I haven't demoed it much. I have 11 days left before the trail is up. I like it. Curves are nice, helps a little. Love the vertical zoom feature. Crossfades are cool, but I have little or no use for the modulation stuff (I have good ones) and won't use the rack.

Originally I was like "nope, not enough to pay" but I find just the one thing, vertical zooming, so useful I'm tempted.

So for using Reason 11 as a sequencer, what do you think so far?

estuary

15 Oct 2019

If you are mac user, honestly I recommend you to wait, because in my case it's not stable at all compare to reason 10.4.
So even if you will be able to use curves, vertical zoom etc, you will probably spend more time restarting the software than enjoy new features.
Then if just for the sequencer, definitely don't update now, wait a bit for next update / bug fix hopefully soon

reggie1979

15 Oct 2019

I'm doze. I haven't run into a single stability issue so far here.

Heigen5

15 Oct 2019

I haven't upgraded to 11 yet but I tested it and know what to expect. I think 10.4 is perfect for me and might not upgrade yet. It does what I need already. But for the sake of supporting the Props and getting my hands on the Sweeper is already worth it... Especially the investing part for the upcoming stuff... I.E: giving some credit to the team who deserves to stay in the business. No, it's all good really... the new stuff is Ok and the money well invested...

So if The Props will fix the first wave bugs, put something new to the point update that is Ok enough.. I'll take it!
I thought to go for the Suite, but I think I'll not over-saturate my mind with so many new devices. I think I might not need all of them in once..

scratchnsnifff

17 Oct 2019

im having absolutely no issues on my mac (10.14.05)
the two modulation effects are actually worth it. doesn't matter what Re's are in the shop, i honestly think that these two devices are unique enough

they are totally worth using :)
also, as for performance.... I'm noticing that im able to make an entire dubstep tune. with automation, samples, more automation, and effects. all with no crashing or glitches.
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

plaamook

17 Oct 2019

estuary wrote:
15 Oct 2019
If you are mac user, honestly I recommend you to wait, because in my case it's not stable at all compare to reason 10.4.
So even if you will be able to use curves, vertical zoom etc, you will probably spend more time restarting the software than enjoy new features.
Then if just for the sequencer, definitely don't update now, wait a bit for next update / bug fix hopefully soon
What stability issues are you having? I've not used it a huge amount but it seems fine to me.
10.14.3 2012 13" MBP 16gRAM etc
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

estuary

18 Oct 2019

plaamook wrote:
17 Oct 2019
estuary wrote:
15 Oct 2019
What stability issues are you having? I've not used it a huge amount but it seems fine to me.

It's related to this message/thread :
viewtopic.php?p=470905#p470905
This bug is killing my user experience.
+ various bugs.

For example, are you able to use the "Edit Remote Override Mapping..." menu ? I am curious
I can't. The application crash
(if you try just in case make sure to save your document before ..)

I tried to resinstall/install.
I am not sure something wrong with my system, but I don't think so ... also reason 10.4 was very stable no problem at all.

plaamook

18 Oct 2019

estuary wrote:
18 Oct 2019
plaamook wrote:
17 Oct 2019

It's related to this message/thread :
viewtopic.php?p=470905#p470905
This bug is killing my user experience.
+ various bugs.

For example, are you able to use the "Edit Remote Override Mapping..." menu ? I am curious
I can't. The application crash
(if you try just in case make sure to save your document before ..)

I tried to resinstall/install.
I am not sure something wrong with my system, but I don't think so ... also reason 10.4 was very stable no problem at all.
I haven’t tried but I will when I can.
Anyway, there will be a fix before too long I’m sure.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

ShelLuser

18 Oct 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
15 Oct 2019
So for using Reason 11 as a sequencer, what do you think so far?
I think it's the same thing as always... being an enthusiast 10 user I don't think the upgrade is worth it. This is nothing new for me because I felt the same way when I had 4 and 5 had come out. And then the same thing when 7, 8 and 9 came out while I was still using 6.

Of course there's a very important aspect to take into consideration with my opinion: I pretty much always use Reason rewired into Live, which results in me favoring new devices over sequencer features. And well, although I can easily imagine that having those mixer devices available in the rack is a good thing the flip side for me is that I have so many mix & mastering tools (from grabbing the Rig) that I don't really need those. In fact: I actually prefer to use (3rd party) rack extensions while leaving the mixer devices where they are; in the mixer.

This is based on experience with Live; it also introduced an SSL-like compressor several years ago (the 'Glue compressor') and even though you can place that anywhere you want I've had the best results by leaving it on the master channel while using the regular devices (compressor and/or the 3band dynamics) throughout my setup (on the individual tracks).

Nothing negative about 11 perse of course, maybe apart from the fact that they dropped rewire. IMO it's a very decent version and having curved automation can be a awesome experience (Live has the same thing). Its simply that I enjoy 10 a lot more and I guess I'm still too much dependant on ReWire.
--- :reason:

HappyDalek

19 Oct 2019

I'm going to Europe but didn't want to take my fancy computer running Live so I got 11 to run on a cheap Acer. I'm loving getting back into Reason. I bought the Intro version just to play with but I'm absolutely upgrading. And I understand why some people don"t need the VST rack option but being able to use the devices in Live without having to run 2 programs at once was the thing that made my mind up about revisiting Reason. Really glad I did.

Oquasec

22 Oct 2019

I actually dont need other daws cuz of the whole every update is covered thing, buuuuut you get the vst version for any other daw.
The reason you'd wanna do it is because it changes your entire workflow up.
Wanna see pattern mode again? Aight slap a vst in there.
Not yet? standalone and enable stuff.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

DParris

22 Oct 2019

Enjoying 11 so far. On my Windows machine, it's running smoothly.
I know crossfades and curves don't seem like a lot, and maybe to folks who do more sequencing than I do they're laughably small improvements.
I'm a primarily a composer (contemporary Classical, but with a background in pop/folk/prog), and I record and mix a lot of my own music. It's mostly live musicians with some electronic additions. My journey with Reason (since version 4) has been one of slowly ditching other software as Reason became more capable.
Honestly Protools just depresses the hell out of me to use. I hate opening up drop-down menus full of a million busses. Flipping the rack and patching cables is so much more intuitive and fun.
It does seem ridiculous that crossfades and curves are just now happening in the year 2019, but from my end this is the final piece in the puzzle that's allowing me to transition completely to Reason (okay, maybe punches would be nice).

reggie1979

22 Oct 2019

Crossfades are huge for me. Select a bunch of audio parts, hit x, then disable snap and x fade everything.

I think that people that do audio appreciate some of the little things more. The vertical zoom per track doesn't do crap for midi obviously and x fades don't either. Being able to draw a curve is great for swooshes and filter cuts.

Still haven't pulled the trigger.

npinero1

23 Oct 2019

I updated to 11 suite because i was looking to buy a few of the additional REs/players and crossfades are also useful to me. It is working well so far and in addition to music I am even editing podcasts on it.
I have a question and my apologies if this has been discussed here on the forums, is VST3 within Reason possible? Does anyone here think they will add it? and if so why do you think that? I have not seen, in this forum, anything from Mattias or anyone else in a while.
Thank you in advance
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

xboix

24 Oct 2019

VST3 is not supported in Reason. I'm certain it will be added at some point but don't hold your breath.
VST2 is deprecated so more and more plugins will be VST3 only as time goes on.

dannyF

24 Oct 2019

I've made my custom Reason Studios logo to show what I think of it all.

moneykube

24 Oct 2019

dannyF wrote:
24 Oct 2019
:lol: :lol: :lol: :puf_wink:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

reggie1979

24 Oct 2019

dannyF wrote:
24 Oct 2019
Not sure if agree..............

dannyF

25 Oct 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
24 Oct 2019
dannyF wrote:
24 Oct 2019
Not sure if agree..............
agreement not neccessary

reggie1979

25 Oct 2019

Anyways, I really appreciate all the answers.

In the end, I decided to forgo the couple of cool things in 11 and stick with 10.4.

dannyF

25 Oct 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
25 Oct 2019
Anyways, I really appreciate all the answers.

In the end, I decided to forgo the couple of cool things in 11 and stick with 10.4.
Me too.

reggie1979

25 Oct 2019

I hope that 11.1 and such provide something I can't live w/o. I feel like I'm cheating to a certain degree!

kitekrazy

26 Oct 2019

Not a hater or a fan boy. I wonder if you tend to get locked into the next DAW upgrade for the same price.

I made that mistake with Live. I'm done with their Suite because nothing really adds up to that $250 price tag and it's all proprietary

With VST support I probably 4-5 equivalents of what is listed in the Suite. With just about anything in the DAW market our eyes get fixed on "look at all of that stuff".

I haven't upgraded to 11 yet since I have no desire to use it as a VST. I'm worried that forking out $249 that when the next upgrade comes along you lose something by not upgrading to that same Suite.

reggie1979

26 Oct 2019

Suite is useless to me. It's great for a first time user or someone upgrading from an older non-RE version.

I did the skip with 9. Even 9.5 wasn't enough to pry my cash but 10 turned out to be a really cool upgrade. Got players and VST's with a ton of extra goodies and some workflow enhancements.

reddust

05 Nov 2019

I just got an Email from Plugin Boutique about Reason offers and decided to check if there is a reduction price already on the upgrade version. Unfortunately there isn't, but then I checked the prices directly on Reason Studios website and I came into a question that I guess is simple to answer:

There aren't any new devices included in the regular update, are there? I mean, if you don't buy the suite you don't get any device you don't already own if you have Reason 10, right?

• Information