(Electronic metal) - Mechanical Mayhem

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2019

I wrote this about 7 years ago using Reason 4.
I was influenced by a lot of death metal at the time. Can you tell? :lol:

DrGOA®

08 Oct 2019

Great track! 👌
In my opinion, genre is "Industrial Metal".

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2019

DrGOA® wrote:
08 Oct 2019
Great track! 👌
In my opinion, genre is "Industrial Metal".
Maybe. Genres can be confusing. Industrial metal typically has guitars in it though (and vocals). This has none of that. It's strictly programmed synths and drums. So in that sense it's purely electronic music.

Simone Lombardo

08 Oct 2019

Wait wait wai wait... so you're saying there isn't even a single guitar, while still sounding amazingly metal? Teach me your secrets, please!

Ok, maybe not literally all of them, but if you could provide a general explanation of the very basic concepts of making this sort of electronic metal (even a few words), you would make me the happiest person on Earth! (Only if you want, naturally)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2019

Simone Lombardo wrote:
08 Oct 2019
Wait wait wai wait... so you're saying there isn't even a single guitar, while still sounding amazingly metal? Teach me your secrets, please!

Ok, maybe not literally all of them, but if you could provide a general explanation of the very basic concepts of making this sort of electronic metal (even a few words), you would make me the happiest person on Earth! (Only if you want, naturally)
At the time I had very little mixing/tweaking/production knowledge so I did what I could. A lot of it is just presets, mostly from Thor, lots of synth layering and synths going through Scream4 to get a distorted sound.
Some drums might be layered as well, I'm thinking the snare mostly.
Everything is stock devices from Reason 4.
Basically I had no idea what I was doing and there were no tutorials for this kind of music so I had to try to figure it out myself. I just knew I had a vision that I wanted to try out and went for it. So it's a bit messy but it's presentable enough to get the point across I think.

If you want to hear more, here are two other tracks from the same project (Synthetic Flesh) but they're from another EP I wrote later, so the production is a little more polished. These tracks are made with Reason 7 so some synths went through the Line6 amp that was included in that version. Still for most sounds I relied on Scream4 to get the aggressive tones.

gullum

10 Oct 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
10 Oct 2019

A f*ck this makes me want to grow my hair long again and head bang like crazy again

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2019

gullum wrote:
10 Oct 2019
TritoneAddiction wrote:
10 Oct 2019

A f*ck this makes me want to grow my hair long again and head bang like crazy again
Haha glad you dig it. :D

Simone Lombardo

11 Oct 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
10 Oct 2019
At the time I had very little mixing/tweaking/production knowledge so I did what I could. A lot of it is just presets, mostly from Thor, lots of synth layering and synths going through Scream4 to get a distorted sound.
Basically I had no idea what I was doing and there were no tutorials for this kind of music so I had to try to figure it out myself. I just knew I had a vision that I wanted to try out and went for it. So it's a bit messy but it's presentable enough to get the point across I think.

If you want to hear more, here are two other tracks from the same project (Synthetic Flesh) but they're from another EP I wrote later, so the production is a little more polished. These tracks are made with Reason 7 so some synths went through the Line6 amp that was included in that version. Still for most sounds I relied on Scream4 to get the aggressive tones.

Crazy stuff! I wonder if I'll ever be able to sequence drums like that...
I'm definitely going to check out your channel a little more. Many thanks for the tips!

P.S. Humana in the second track?

jappe

11 Oct 2019

Damn! I´m pretty sure there's a way to charge a Tesla with this energy...Nice :thumbs_up:

EDIT: found another gem of yours: viewtopic.php?t=7507484

I remember playing Pinball Dreams on Amiga...and your stuff reminds a bit of one of the tracks there, though a magnitude heavier.
EDIT#2: tip: Play both two songs presented on this page at the same time...now that's an interesting sound :D

FHtH

11 Oct 2019

Cool. Very cool!

Carpainter

11 Oct 2019

This is great. It reminds me of Brann Dailor's side project Arcadea, except way heavier, and it obviously predated it by many years. I wouldn't be surprised if he was inspired by your music.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2019

Simone Lombardo wrote:
11 Oct 2019
TritoneAddiction wrote:
10 Oct 2019

Crazy stuff! I wonder if I'll ever be able to sequence drums like that...
I'm definitely going to check out your channel a little more. Many thanks for the tips!

P.S. Humana in the second track?
The drums are very much influenced by how a metal drummer would play. Even if I could never play any of these songs on drums myself, I know some basics which really help when making drum patterns.

No Humana in any of these tracks. Humana got added to Reason in R10. These two tracks are made in R7.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2019

Carpainter wrote:
11 Oct 2019
This is great. It reminds me of Brann Dailor's side project Arcadea, except way heavier, and it obviously predated it by many years. I wouldn't be surprised if he was inspired by your music.
Thanks.
Just checked out Arcadea. There are some similarities but many differences as well. Just a different feel imo. Still interesting to hear someone else doing a electronic/metal/rock kind of thing. Still prefer his work with Mastodon I think.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2019

jappe wrote:
11 Oct 2019
Damn! I´m pretty sure there's a way to charge a Tesla with this energy...Nice :thumbs_up:
Haha thanks.

Simone Lombardo

13 Oct 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
13 Oct 2019
No Humana in any of these tracks. Humana got added to Reason in R10. These two tracks are made in R7.
Ah, sorry, didn't know that :lol:

Carpainter

13 Oct 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
13 Oct 2019
Carpainter wrote:
11 Oct 2019
Thanks.
Just checked out Arcadea. There are some similarities but many differences as well. Just a different feel imo. Still interesting to hear someone else doing a electronic/metal/rock kind of thing. Still prefer his work with Mastodon I think.
I think he was going for a Cynic-style progressive feel, where one guitar (or synth in this case) plays the main riff and the other plays a contrasting riff. He also didn't make the synths sound like guitars like you did. They play what the guitar would be playing, but they sound like synths. Some of the songs sound like Mastodon songs with synths.

I prefer your approach because I respect the time and dedication it must have taken to emulate metal guitars with my two favorite Reason devices: Thor and Scream 4.

r1381

19 Oct 2019

i love the drums in all these tracks!!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Oct 2019

r1381 wrote:
19 Oct 2019
i love the drums in all these tracks!!
Thanks.
Yeah I put quite a bit of work on the drums for this project. The drums and rhythms are probably the most important aspects of this kind of music, maybe even more so than the synths and what note choices there are.

• Information