(Acoustic) Story

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
strangers
Competition Winner

12 Oct 2019

Proud to present an acoustic song a friend and myself just wrapped up. All vocals by my friend Young and Blind. Music, mixing and mastering done by yours truly. This song is pretty deep and was written for a special event taking place next week in Colorado.

Enjoy!

r1381

14 Oct 2019

nice track! love that acoustic guitar. vocals fit good with the track. i am envious of people who can and have the balls to sing. i sometimes feel like i can barely speak in normal sentences. ha.
what is the event this song is for?

strangers
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2019

r1381 wrote:
14 Oct 2019
nice track! love that acoustic guitar. vocals fit good with the track. i am envious of people who can and have the balls to sing. i sometimes feel like i can barely speak in normal sentences. ha.
what is the event this song is for?
Thanks. Everything came together nicely for this track. Really happy with the outcome. I'm in the same boat as you; always wish I liked my own voice enough to utilize it for musical purposes. Maybe one day :lol: The event is for trafficking. A close friend of his gets minors out of that world. Whenever he's back the community usually sponsors an event for appreciation and funding. The stories and experiences he has to share are unreal. Wish I was still out west to attend. The small gift of music is what I can bring to the table.

HoboSage

17 Oct 2019

Sounds like a nice song. To be honest though, in my opinion, the quack from the piezo pickup is not doing the sound of the guitar any favors.
My Music: https://www.hobosage.com

My Gear: Surface Pro 6; Reason 10+; Scarlett 2i2 interface; KRK Rockit 5 monitors; Samson SR850 cans; Shure Beta 87A mic; M-Audio 49-key controller; Rainsong DR-1000 acoustic; Fender Modern Player Telecaster

strangers
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2019

HoboSage wrote:
17 Oct 2019
Sounds like a nice song. To be honest though, in my opinion, the quack from the piezo pickup is not doing the sound of the guitar any favors.
I appreciate honest feedback. That helps me help myself. I've never been thrilled with the preamp on my Martin. Any tips on improving the quack?

HoboSage

25 Oct 2019

Any on-board system is was it is. Some piezoelectric pickups sound "better" - i.e., capture a more "natural" acoustic sound - than others. Some on-board systems use a humbucker instead of piezo pickup, and they sound different too. But both pickups still fall far short of the sound of an acoustic captured by a good mic with a good mic preamp using good mic-ing technique appropriate to the particular guitar being recorded in a particular room. Some on-board systems use a little electric condenser mic - either alone or in combination with a piezo or humbucker - and with some of those systems you can "blend" the mic with the pickup to better tailor the sound. But again, it will not sound as good as recording with a good stand alone mic.

Though when Ovations with on-board piezo systems were made popular in the 70's/80's because they were go-to guitars for players like Glenn Campbell, Nancy Wilson of Heart and Melissa Etheridge, the novelty of the the "quack" produced by the piezo pickups wore thin with musos in time, and now that sound is, generally, abhorred. The utility of on-board systems is mostly in their use on stage in live performance - to fight feedback in a band environment, and to allow freedom of movement. If you have a decent outboard mic you use in your studio for recording vocals, chances are recording your acoustic with the mic will result in capturing a sound from your acoustic that is more pleasing to your ears than your on-board system captures - especially when strumming. Unless the intention is to "unnaturally" and conspicuously effect the sound of an acoustic guitar track, I would think the overwhelmingly vast majority of producers and engineers would want to record an acoustic track with one or more mics. I know I would. I record my acoustic with my Shure Beta 87A - the same mic I use for vocals - and I think my acoustic tracks sound pretty good. My Rainsong came with a supposedly "good" on-board Fishman piezo system. But, I became so disgusted with its sound (and the vibration of its plastic housing) that I ripped it out! I think the hole left by the preamp's removal (which doesn't have any negative affect on the guitar's natural sound) looks cool too. :) But, I only use it in my studio. If I wanted to play it live, I would no doubt miss the on-board option.

Just my opinions.
My Music: https://www.hobosage.com

My Gear: Surface Pro 6; Reason 10+; Scarlett 2i2 interface; KRK Rockit 5 monitors; Samson SR850 cans; Shure Beta 87A mic; M-Audio 49-key controller; Rainsong DR-1000 acoustic; Fender Modern Player Telecaster

• Information