Blamsoft status?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
bak

11 Oct 2019

Whatever happened to this developer? I haven't seen any new rack extensions in the while hopefully they're not out of the re market.

MannequinRaces

11 Oct 2019

It seems like all developers are really quiet right now. Probably an awful time to release new REs since R11 recently dropped.

zoidkirb

11 Oct 2019

They have been creating modules for the vcv rack system.

challism

11 Oct 2019

Yup, they seem to have disappeared from the RE scene. Not including updates, they haven't released anything new since VK2 came out over 2 years ago. That's really sad to me, they are one of my favorite developers. I miss you, Blam! :(
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Loque

11 Oct 2019

Ho could they top eXpanse and VK2?
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

11 Oct 2019

I think they (and eXode) put lots of work into eXpanse and VK-2, to make two RE synths that could compete with the best of VSTs.
Within months of their release
- Propellerhead introduced VSTs
- Propellerhead introduced Europa as a stock instrument
- Synapse released the Legend RE
I suspect that these factors changed the maths of expected sales, and I got the impression Blamsoft were a bit disheartened by the RE market. I'm not surprised they're concentrating on other things. They could do well in the VST market, crowded though it is.

challism

11 Oct 2019

Good points. How could they top VK2 and Expanse, indeed. Both of those are top-notch instruments. But I'm sure they could still come out with some other great stuff, if they cared to keep working on REs. It was exciting to see Blamsoft and eXode team up, wasn't it? I can understand why they have moved their attention elsewhere. Reason opening up to VSTs was kind of a kick in the teeth to RE devs. And some people claim that Europa was a blatant rip off of Expanse. I'm not sure how I feel about those claims, personally. But I can understand why Blamsoft might be a bit miffed. I still miss them, though. I miss a lot of the dev who have left or stopped producing new products. That list is getting kind of long.

Loque

11 Oct 2019

EdGrip wrote:
11 Oct 2019
...They could do well in the VST market, crowded though it is.
I am not sure about this when i see how the ppl bash on great synth releases in the last few years and small synths have nearly no chance.
Reason12, Win10

chimp_spanner

11 Oct 2019

I have their VCV modules! Really cool. I suspect they'll continue to be active there, if nowhere else. VK1 and 2 are still some of my favourite synths though. eXpanse is really cool but never really charmed me...not sure why. Maybe I just need to dive into it again because I'm probably missing out!

buddard
RE Developer

11 Oct 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
11 Oct 2019
I have their VCV modules! Really cool. I suspect they'll continue to be active there, if nowhere else.
It's a long time since they released any new VCV modules, and a while back they stopped charging money for their existing VCV modules and the VK-1 VST.

chimp_spanner

11 Oct 2019

buddard wrote:
11 Oct 2019
chimp_spanner wrote:
11 Oct 2019
I have their VCV modules! Really cool. I suspect they'll continue to be active there, if nowhere else.
It's a long time since they released any new VCV modules, and a while back they stopped charging money for their existing VCV modules and the VK-1 VST.
Oh dang! Well then...that sucks. Maybe they've just wrapped it up. :cry:

**Did just see they tweeted about eXpanse making a cameo in the R11 video though so it's not like they're totally dormant. Hmph. Who knows. Still great instruments either way.

buddard
RE Developer

11 Oct 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
11 Oct 2019
buddard wrote:
11 Oct 2019

**Did just see they tweeted about eXpanse making a cameo in the R11 video though so it's not like they're totally dormant. Hmph. Who knows. Still great instruments either way.
Yeah, I'd love to see more great things from them!

chimp_spanner

11 Oct 2019

buddard wrote:
11 Oct 2019
chimp_spanner wrote:
11 Oct 2019

Yeah, I'd love to see more great things from them!
And from you too, while I'm here ;) Sequences is still one of the best players I've got!

Vil
RE Developer

11 Oct 2019

I chatted with them a few days ago, but about something else....

Loque

11 Oct 2019

Vil wrote:
11 Oct 2019
Ok...feel free to tell us everything...please...all details about potential new stuff...we are silently listening...and we do not tell others...
ezgif.com-optimize.gif
ezgif.com-optimize.gif (509.38 KiB) Viewed 13007 times
Reason12, Win10

Vil
RE Developer

11 Oct 2019

Loque wrote:
11 Oct 2019
Vil wrote:
11 Oct 2019
Ok...feel free to tell us everything...please...all details about potential new stuff...we are silently listening...and we do not tell others...
I dont want to hijack this topic........ we talked a bit about the extended chords ...

Boombastix
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2019

It is anybody's guess what you do next in the synth world, just packing on more features may not be the best, you'll get a Falcon or Halion - something way to complicated for most users to use. Sonic Charge went completely the other way with Synplant (it is their best seller). Massive X is trying something a little different IMO as well as Phase Plant. We have interesting guitar VSTs with strumming engines etc, but normally with just one set of multi samples.

To spark interest I think you need to bring in AI + random in a multi osc synth, so when you random you get useful results, and combine Wavetable/VA/Sample/Additive/Physical Modeling. Think D-50, attack+sustain in separate functions. A lot of what is perceived in a sound comes from the attack. Combine that with a strum engine/player that can do keyboard and guitar stuff, like EZKeys and a guitar strummer, step sequencer. But to make this user friendly and functional is a huge task and nobody knows if the market will buy into it.

Look at Phase Plant (enormous layering capability and FX modulation possibility), almost every video on it is someone making a wobble bass - go figure. At the end every synth will live or die by its presets, and to make new usable sounds can be more work than the DSP programming itself. Not easy for a small company to do this.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Blamsoft
RE Developer

13 Oct 2019

There are several reasons why I have not released an RE, but the main one is career skills. I feel that AR, data science (ML/AI), GPU computing, web APIs, and quantum programming are skills needed for a professional software developer going forward. These technologies, especially AR, ML, and web APIs, have musical possibilities in the next few years. Traditional DSP is still important but in my opinion needs sophisticated math libraries to go beyond what is already available. Due to various technical reasons, I don’t feel that the RE platform in its current state is the best way to incorporate new technology into designs. There are many aspects of the RE platform, some of the financial aspects are easily discussed but some aspects are technical and I will not go into detail. You may see another RE released that is in development. And as always, I support all existing software. I’ve had a lot of fun collaborations, betas, competitions, and interaction with users. You may see updates at any time in the future but nothing planned at the moment.

Loque

13 Oct 2019

Blamsoft wrote:
13 Oct 2019
There are several reasons why I have not released an RE, but the main one is career skills. I feel that AR, data science (ML/AI), GPU computing, web APIs, and quantum programming are skills needed for a professional software developer going forward. These technologies, especially AR, ML, and web APIs, have musical possibilities in the next few years. Traditional DSP is still important but in my opinion needs sophisticated math libraries to go beyond what is already available. Due to various technical reasons, I don’t feel that the RE platform in its current state is the best way to incorporate new technology into designs. There are many aspects of the RE platform, some of the financial aspects are easily discussed but some aspects are technical and I will not go into detail. You may see another RE released that is in development. And as always, I support all existing software. I’ve had a lot of fun collaborations, betas, competitions, and interaction with users. You may see updates at any time in the future but nothing planned at the moment.
Good news, interesting read and at least you are fine!
Reason12, Win10

FLVZ

13 Oct 2019

Blamsoft wrote:
13 Oct 2019
Its good to hear you're seeking bigger and more exciting projects. Does make one wonder about SDK progression...

Faastwalker

13 Oct 2019

Blamsoft wrote:
13 Oct 2019
I feel that AR, data science (ML/AI), GPU computing, web APIs, and quantum programming are skills needed for a professional software developer going forward.
Quantum programming?! :shock: Sounds heavy. Like it's there, but not really. Only when obsevered?! This stuff blows my mind :? I love all this kind of thing but I don't understand much of it at all. Quantum physics is just nuts but I'm fascinated to understand how it relates in the context of audio applications ...... I think! Maybe I shouldn't go there :|

chimp_spanner

13 Oct 2019

I’m hoping one day quantum computing will be able to calculate all the possible ways I could finish a song and then pick the one that doesn’t suck :lol:

Glad to hear you’re working on exciting things though. Gotta go where it takes you!

bak

13 Oct 2019

Thank you for your rack extensions , they were an amazing to play with reason. Best of luck with your new venture!

Faastwalker

13 Oct 2019

bak wrote:
13 Oct 2019
Thank you for your rack extensions , they were an amazing to play with reason. Best of luck with your new venture!
I agree. Blamsoft have given us some amazing RE's over the years. Sad to see them go but wish them luck :thumbs_up:

challism

14 Oct 2019

Blamsoft wrote:
13 Oct 2019
Nice to hear from you, Andrew. I just want to say thank you for all the great REs you released to the shop over the years. You remain one of my favorite developers. I wish you all the best in the future!

• Information