Tuning Samples

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Periwinkle

10 Oct 2019

Hi, everyone,
I wonder if anyone can help with this one: I'm importing samples and positioning them individually on an audio track. I am then using the sequencer's transpose function to manually tune each sample. I'm not going for a realistic vibe here.

Now, my pitch isn't that bad, but it's not fantastic. I can't be 100% sure of the starting pitches of the samples as some of the sounds are quite complex.

Is there a way I can assign specific (spot-on) pitches to one-shot samples. Is there maybe some kind of chromatic tuner (like a guitar tuner) that I can route the audio channel to?

Thanks in advance.

.“Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.”

― Banksy

way2cool

10 Oct 2019

I do this one you only have to put a automation on each ones, adjust those one with small dots with lines for that changing you want, and use correct way , push the button

Jackjackdaw

10 Oct 2019

I understand this is a popular workflow, dragging samples onto the timeline. I dont understand why though, it looks more like editing a spreadsheet than playing music to me.

I would put all my samples into Kong pads. Have them triggered by midi notes and modulated by lfos or automation lanes.

I know it's different strokes for different folks though.

Periwinkle

10 Oct 2019

@way2cool
Thanks for your reply. I can see that you speak very good English but I can't quite understand your meaning. Don't worry, I teach English and a foreign language as my job. Maybe you could clarify, or if you post your reply in your native language, I can run it through some translation software and post it back here. I am interested to hear what you have to say.

@Jackjackdaw
I take your point Jack, and I have also been using Kong in this way. However, when there is a large number of discrete samples, I could run into a situation where I needed to use fifty separate Kongs. I am also finding that the 'slice and dice method' provides useful visual feedback.

Also, although Kong allows you to easily adjust the pitch of samples, I'm not aware that it tells what the actual pitch is.

― Banksy

Periwinkle

10 Oct 2019

I'm beginning to wonder if Antares Autotune may be an option.

Addendum:
Auto-Tune Vocal Studio
$699.00
... maybe not.
Last edited by Periwinkle on 10 Oct 2019, edited 1 time in total.

― Banksy

Sterioevo

10 Oct 2019

NN-XT has a samples to pitch function

diminished
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2019

Sterioevo wrote:
10 Oct 2019
NN-XT has a samples to pitch function
This, and in the sequencer you can go into "Pitch Edit" and go nuts.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Periwinkle

10 Oct 2019

Okay then. Looks like it's time for me to RTFM lol.

― Banksy

eusti

10 Oct 2019

Not sure if this will work: Why don’t you just go into the pitch editor of the clip (sample) and select correct (or whatever it is called)... Was that should correct the sample to the next semitone.... Adjust to where you want it from there...

D.

WongoTheSane

10 Oct 2019

Why don't you use Reason's tuner?

- On your audio track, click on "Rec Source".
- Create a new Audio Track. In its "Audio Input" menu, select your first audio track.

tuner1.jpg
tuner1.jpg (44.84 KiB) Viewed 1593 times

- In the sequencer, click on the tuner on the second audio track.

tuner2.jpg
tuner2.jpg (12.74 KiB) Viewed 1593 times

- Play in a loop and adjust the transpose until you're satisfied.

Otherwise, you could also use GTune by GVST or MTuner by Melda Productions, both free VSTs.

(this is on top of eusti and diminished's suggestion which is imho the easiest).

Periwinkle

10 Oct 2019

Thank you @eusti, this works beautifully. I realise that at present many Reason users have concerns about the software, direction etc. And I'm not saying these concerns are unfounded, but it never ceases to amaze me how powerful and versatile Reason has become.

I wasn't even aware that this type of pitch correction was possible in Reason.

I jumped ship roundabout version 2 or 3 and moved to Apple Logic. I have to say that I've achieved more creatively using Reason in the past few weeks that I did with Logic over the past five years.

Thanks again

― Banksy

eusti

10 Oct 2019

Glad it worked for you! :)

D.

Skimrok

10 Oct 2019

eusti wrote:
10 Oct 2019

D.
oh wow so can you use this for vocal adjustment also? I just cant get it right with Neptune, im sure its user error ME rather then neptune
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

eusti

10 Oct 2019

Skimrok wrote:
10 Oct 2019
eusti wrote:
10 Oct 2019

D.
oh wow so can you use this for vocal adjustment also? I just cant get it right with Neptune, im sure its user error ME rather then neptune
I think that’s what it’s made for mainly. To give Reason users a built in alternative to auto tune and melodyne.

D.

PhillipOrdonez

10 Oct 2019

I use a plugin by melda productions (free) to visualize pitches ( I actually use it on umpf / Kong / whatever drum machine, but works on the sequencer as well, just loop it so it plays often and then you can tell how many semitones or cents you need to pitch your sample.

Periwinkle

11 Oct 2019

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. It seems there are several ways to approach this. It's always good to have a choice.

― Banksy

Boombastix
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2019

Sometimes I use https://www.gvst.co.uk/gtune.htm. It is a free VST and works well on monophonic material.
For polyphonic material I use https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/h ... ngkey-mk3/ and you can look at the identified partials and figure out what notes are in the samle, just loop a small section that doesn't change. Not as smooth as Melodyne, but hey it is $8 and not $800...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

• Information