Is there a DAW that shows audio affected by compression in the sequencer?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Creativemind

10 Oct 2019

Hi Everybody!

I was wondering if there was any daw out there that allowed you to see how an audio signal is affected by compression? so adjusts accordingly in the sequencer when you adjust the compressor preferably in real time.

Thanks.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

10 Oct 2019

Doubtful, because you would be applying the compresson on the fly - you might need to route a 2nd channel with the compressor on and track with it (record and edit). 1st channel would not have a direct output but fed to an FX channel instead.

The audio track (we think) wouldn't be able to estimate what the compressor would do on the fly and adjust a full visual, that's just too computationally heavy (we think) to try and cover the recomputing if you change settings. Sequencer's don't commonly track effects in a 'live' way.

The tracking method might be the best option, espcially if you're creating a secondary 'compressed' take, then you could 'stitch' the two files side by side an parallel mix them (or cut'n'shut, just depends on what you're doing)

Compressors have a lot of variation and based on audio input level too. What happens if you wap on a compressor threshold at -10 but your audio is always -12dB? you won't see any difference... now you apply automation to the original channel so +3dB then back to unity... in theory the 'rest' of the audio view would show what the compressor would do, but it hasn't happened yet, so the compressor won't really be able to predict any sudden changes you decide on the fly (level may change, audio clip level changes etc...)

We know what you're thinking, maybe record multiple takes with different ratio settings (leave attack and release at a point you're happy with) and then take a look at sections where things happen, and learn the tools and how the compressor effects certain sounds. You might find a certain tool fits the job in one case but then another for something else (ie dbX for bass, api for drums.. both compressors but different beasts)...

O1B

10 Oct 2019

Do you mean a pre and post ('fore and 'aft) spectrum analyzer?

with compression?

"In the Sequencer" AND "See how the Audio signal" may not be necessary.

You can also invert one of the two signals (Pre/ Post) and view their 'difference.'

I think REASON has any number of ways to "SEE" the signal now.'
Creativemind wrote:
10 Oct 2019
Hi Everybody!

I was wondering if there was any daw out there that allowed you to see how an audio signal is affected by compression? so adjusts accordingly in the sequencer when you adjust the compressor preferably in real time.

Thanks.

Djstarski

10 Oct 2019

Do you mean something like this ? keep watching

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

10 Oct 2019

Both those two options make sense to us, the Fabfilter is 'live at this specific time' while Selig Curve method is the track and display (so history display).

Good pointers you two ;)

Djstarski

10 Oct 2019

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
10 Oct 2019
Both those two options make sense to us, the Fabfilter is 'live at this specific time' while Selig Curve method is the track and display (so history display).

Good pointers you two ;)
The video i posted , shows the result in the sequencer . Where the Fabfilter shows the result within the plugin . Both can be useful info if you know what your looking for .

O1B

10 Oct 2019

Thanks, LABONE.

Battle AXE
Black Knight
MACE
and the infamous REQ131.

See? ... nah.. better to 'HEAR EQ'

Absolutely INCREDIBLE Tools.
Thank you.

O1B
LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
10 Oct 2019

Good pointers you two ;)

Creativemind

10 Oct 2019

Djstarski wrote:
10 Oct 2019

That's the closest. What I really wanted though was audio recorded in the sequencer then adjust the compressor and see how it adjusts the audio wave but in retrospect, I never thought about the audio already being recorded on the track. Closest is in your video, might be the only way as you see it recording over.

I just thought it'd be great to visually see how the audio was being adjusted by the compressor to get a more visual understanding of how a compressor was working.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Djstarski

10 Oct 2019

Creativemind wrote:
10 Oct 2019
Djstarski wrote:
10 Oct 2019

That's the closest. What I really wanted though was audio recorded in the sequencer then adjust the compressor and see how it adjusts the audio wave but in retrospect, I never thought about the audio already being recorded on the track. Closest is in your video, might be the only way as you see it recording over.

I just thought it'd be great to visually see how the audio was being adjusted by the compressor to get a more visual understanding of how a compressor was working.
I found it easier to show the original waveform and record the effect the device had on the waveform in real time . Just replace the Leveller with your compressor of choice . You can even use the SSL channel compressor .But remember its not how it looks its how its how it feels and sounds .

• Information