Do you ever use REs ONLY because you’ve got ‘em?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Oct 2019

Right...hope I can explain what I mean. Do you ever think “man, I bought this RE and hardly ever/ never use it. Guess I should try and fit it in somewhere. “ ?
I for example, have the three Kuassa EVE EQs. For a while I tried to use the three band one just so it wouldn’t lie there dormant in the “collection”. Now I kind of use it most haha.

Same goes for a lot of the synths I got in bundles.

When it comes to a Rhodes sound I much prefer Lounge Lizard, which I got free, to Radical Keys but because I paid €79 for Rad Keys way back I feel I should try and get some use of it. I know it should be right tools for the job but that feeling of “I paid quite a lot for this I wish I would use it more” feeling is pretty strong sometimes.

Anybody else get this?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

eusti

05 Oct 2019

I like the idea... I might do that when I feel open to experiment... When I know what I want and am mainly trying to get an idea down I am less likely to do so...

D.

gullum

05 Oct 2019

No I don't when I first bought the Tubtec channel strip I used it in almost every track, well I had to because it cost so much now I hardly use it becaue it is to much and can get away with SSL mixer channels EQ and dynamic.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Oct 2019

gullum wrote:
05 Oct 2019
No I don't when I first bought the Tubtec channel strip I used it in almost every track, well I had to because it cost so much now I hardly use it becaue it is to much and can get away with SSL mixer channels EQ and dynamic.
That’s kind of what I mean though. When you buy something and think “Usch. I’d better use this seeing as how I paid money for it. “ even when you know you’ve got something else you can use instead.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Oquasec

05 Oct 2019

Nope. If the tool does what it says on the label it's gettin used my guy :]
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Oct 2019

Yes I do this ALL THE TIME. It's pretty much my main motivation to make music. "Damn I've paid for this, I better go make some music with it."
In the past I've written entire One Synth EPs just because I felt like I had not used certain REs enough. FM4, Snakebite, Chip64, Legend. I still love those projects and I had a great time making them.
Just now I finished a track using mainly Scenic and Complex-1, because I just got the Suite upgrade. And I plan to make a lot more Suite/R11 focused music during the next couple of months.
When it comes to EQs, compressors, reverbs I have my go-to´s that I like and use all the time. But when it comes to picking instruments I usually think to myself "What synth haven't I used enough?".
But I love working this way. Switching between instruments I haven't used much keeps things interesting and exciting for me.

Zac

05 Oct 2019

Yeah I do it. I just see it and think I'm going to find a way to use that.

DParris

05 Oct 2019

Yep, definitely do that every time I get something new. It gets used, then over-used, then finally used when necessary.
Lately I've been trying to use stock devices as much as possible. It's easy for me to get enamored with new REs and plugins, so reaching for the stock device first forces me to use my ear and develop my technique. I grab something else only when I'm convinced that I've done my job and the stock device just isn't giving me what I'm after.

MannequinRaces

05 Oct 2019

Yep, it’s essential to learning what you have and try and stave off lust for new REs.

moneykube

06 Oct 2019

bought em to use em... or why buy em... lol
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2019

moneykube wrote:
06 Oct 2019
Because they might have come in a Rig. Or maybe you bought them because something similar or more useful came out later. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Zac

06 Oct 2019

MrFigg wrote:
06 Oct 2019
moneykube wrote:
06 Oct 2019
Because they might have come in a Rig. Or maybe you bought them because something similar or more useful came out later. :)
I definitely have a lot of RE baggage due to devices being superceded.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2019

Zac wrote:
06 Oct 2019
MrFigg wrote:
06 Oct 2019

Chord players are one of my most overpopulated devices.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Zac

06 Oct 2019

MrFigg wrote:
06 Oct 2019
Zac wrote:
06 Oct 2019

Chord players are one of my most overpopulated devices.
Compressors and Phasers for me (and arpeggiators).

When I first tried Reason back in 2001 I thought the PH90 was rubbish. All I can say is I've paid for worse.

scratchnsnifff

06 Oct 2019

I have so many purchased extensions that sit for a long while

I don’t have any regrets though. I look at it like supporting the developers. I love new synths and effects. For instance once I got expanse, I then went down the rabbit hole and tried getting every blamsoft device that was out there.

No regrets just delayed usage :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

ShelLuser

09 Oct 2019

Yes, this happens to me as well and I blame the Props for it too! :puf_bigsmile:

I suppose it's a bit silly but I always wanted to keep my rack "vanilla" and only focused my attention to the RE's made by the Props. Not sure what exactly changed my mind (it could be the move from a-list to UJAM) but I decided to expand my rack a bit and the easiest (and most appealing) options I found were the rigs. So I grabbed the synth, mix & mastering and the synapse bundle which leaves me with a lot of awesome devices to discover and experiment with.

So yeah... even though instruments like Europa, Complex and Grain can be serious time sinks when it comes to sound design and experimentation I also often find myself picking up stuff I really want to get to know better. Examples being Antidote, Blackpole, Respire and the Korg monopoly.

Of course it helps that I really enjoy sound design and experimentation in the overall.
--- :reason:

aeox
Competition Winner

09 Oct 2019

DParris wrote:
05 Oct 2019
Yep, definitely do that every time I get something new. It gets used, then over-used, then finally used when necessary.
Lately I've been trying to use stock devices as much as possible. It's easy for me to get enamored with new REs and plugins, so reaching for the stock device first forces me to use my ear and develop my technique. I grab something else only when I'm convinced that I've done my job and the stock device just isn't giving me what I'm after.
Ditto

hurricane
Competition Winner

09 Oct 2019

I bought 99% of my REs before VST support was announced and I did so because I wanted to use new devices in the rack. After VST support was announced I trashed them all and started using VSTs exclusively. I remember buying Polysix RE because I had the VST and loved using it so much that I wanted to use it in Reason. What a waste. And I have those same 3 Kuassa REs and I remember buying them because they were 3 new EQs to use inside Reason. I already had a ton of VST EQs that I couldn't use. Ugh - what a waste. Whatever, I'm just glad I didn't buy a ton of REs.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

gullum

10 Oct 2019

scratchnsnifff wrote:
06 Oct 2019
I look at it like supporting the developers.
:D so you are supporting the developer to make devices you don't need, I do the same apparently

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2019

gullum wrote:
10 Oct 2019
scratchnsnifff wrote:
06 Oct 2019
I look at it like supporting the developers.
:D so you are supporting the developer to make devices you don't need, I do the same apparently
I had that way of thinking when the Pay What You Want Reason upgrade happened. Gave them a pretty large sum of money despite having just paid for an upgrade because I was so happy with the company and wanted to show “support”. That’s the last time I can tell you. Nah...support the developers by buying their products but only if it’s products you need and those products are actually good. I’ve already got too many redundant devices lying around.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

QVprod

10 Oct 2019

Only if it’s new. Otherwise I have a lot of things that just sit unused. I find, the better I get, the less things I use

rgdaniel

10 Oct 2019

Not sure I ever use an RE only because I have it, but often I DON'T use an RE because I DON'T have it.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2019

Yes, I do every now and then try to fit them in however much of the time it does not work so then you build a new track just for them, makes the creative juices flow..

ltbrunt00

11 Oct 2019

I got to many RE and VST tools not counting the stock devices. For me it depends on what type of sound I am looking for and which device gets me the result quicker.

I have for some strange reason especially since the R11 plugin came out have been using NNXT a lot more not just in reason but in Studio One.

I started using it in projects in Studio One and because of that began using them in Reason again. Also used Dr octo for the first time in ten years in Studio One and then started using it again in reason.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Hazel

11 Oct 2019

I do all the time, especially with the mass amount of free ones I've grabbed off the site. There are many that are a little confusing, or only seem to serve some obscure purpose, but I like to make experiments a lot and when I'm not feeling inspired to write something, or finish something, I'll take out a couple of those weird ones and just see what I can make it do, even if it's far outside the probably intended purpose. Unfortunately, few of those devices I wasn't really able to figure out what to use them for at all.

• Information