What is a 'partial'...?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
david1806

06 Oct 2019

Hi all...

Now before you say "Google it already!" - I have, and all I keep getting is how a partial is part of a waveform. OK, but which part?

The reason I ask is because I am studying the Europa synth, and how the Spectral Filter "affects the partials of the signal" - and that is what I don't completely get. I even looked at images that Google threw up, but nothing that helps.

I am sure one of you will now Google it and find the answer in two seconds! LOL! If you do, just post the link, cause I am buggered if I could find one.

Thanks in advance....

MannequinRaces

06 Oct 2019

I might be wrong be I think a partial is the amplitude of a harmonic of a waveform...

RobC

07 Oct 2019

Usually a fursuit head, hand paws and feet paws.
Oh, wait...
(I apologize.)

Loque

07 Oct 2019

A sound (wave) can be recreated with sinus waves only in different frequencies and amplitudes. Combining them together, you can create nearly every waveform (sound). One of those sinus waves is called a "partial" of the sound. The amount of partials depends on the "resolution", which means with how many "partials" you want to create the final sound.

You better try to search for additive synthesis.

Maybe i am on a complete wrong track, but this is what i understand under "partials".
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

07 Oct 2019

Partial = harmonic = overtone.
Some would argue that overtones do not include the fundamental, but in all cases what is being referred to are the component sine waves that make up all sounds.
Selig Audio, LLC

Kalm

07 Oct 2019

A partial is usually ANY tone (usually sine) that makes up a resultant waveform. Such is the reason for the name partial. Technically every partial is an overtone = a tone above the fundamental but the name usually aligns with understanding the makeup of a final sound. Overtones are usually understood to represent a series of partials that make up a certain tone. One of the most basic overtone series we know of are the harmonic series.

Then we have a harmonic, any integer partial of the fundamental
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

• Information