A few more questions about Kompulsion

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Periwinkle

05 Oct 2019

Every day I'm learning a little more about Kompulsion and I'm enjoying using it very much. However, I do have a few questions:

Is there any way of entering (or at least showing) numerical data for things like velocity?

Although Kompulsion does come with an operation manual, it focuses more on what elements are rather than why they are and how to use them.

Can anyone shed some light on how Time Multiplier and Time Division work?

Also, Can anyone explain the mystery that is the Mix window?

I've been scouring YouTube and the web for a while now, looking for in-depth tutorials, but alas, to no avail. If anyone knows of any ...

.“Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.”

― Banksy

Periwinkle

06 Oct 2019

bump

― Banksy

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2019

Parameter bars like velocity and length have a range of 0-127, but there’s no display for the precise value or ability to type-in a desired value.

The multiply and divide tabs allow you to specify the clock rate for a given sequence relative to the master clock. So if the master clock is at the default of 1/16, and you move the multiply setting for a given sequence to the second cell, you will have two pulses in the space of one, or 1/32.

Conversely, if you move the divide setting for a given sequence to the second cell, you will have one pulse in the space of two, or 1/8.

This is useful if you want a certain sequence to move slower or faster than the main clock, good for polyrhythms.

The mix tab allows you to override or combine values from two different sequences. An example - You want to create a riff that changes its notes, but not its rhythm:

Program a groove in S1 that has the rhythm you want. This sequence has a simple forward direction, so that it loops perfectly.

In S2’s NOTE tab, program the options S1 can use. Maybe there are only 4 notes that you want, so draw those notes in series. Now set the loop marker for S2 to bound that range.

Return to S1 and open the MIX tab. Under “notes,” move the setting to the cell for S2. This will override the note setting for S1 with the note setting from S2.

You’ll now get the rhythm of S1 with the notes of S2. For fun, change the direction of S2 to random or random-walk. Or draw notes into S1, and change the mix operator to add. Now you’re getting into unpredictable territory!

Periwinkle

06 Oct 2019

Thank you so much for taking that time to reply, Timmy. This certainly answers all my question. It seems that Kompulsion really is a rather powerful piece of kit.

― Banksy

• Information