NEW in the Shop: Virtual Drummer Rack Extensions – Successors of the A-List Drummer Series

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
joeyluck

16 Sep 2019

gullum wrote:
16 Sep 2019
here is a comparison of the to devices A-List and Virtual Drummer

there is almost no info on Virtual Drummer that is not shown on the A-list interface
You are overlooking a few things. Of the new features that require new parts added to the interface, the Virtual Drummer versions have:

- Individual selections for each instrument
- You can then select a different type per instrument
- Each instrument has an individual Decay, Tune, and Reverb and the Ambience channels have compressor, LP and HP
- Each instrument has an individual solo/mute

The A-List version has none of that and only has level adjustment per instrument.

- Then there's the Master section

And I think the keys display is necessary and very helpful. I'm glad they were added to the A-List Guitarists. Was hoping they'd be added to the A-List Drummers, but this is of course even better :)

I really like the way these are organized. They are easy on the eyes and nothing feels crammed. And they aren't even the largest that REs can be. They are some of the best looking REs I have seen. Some people say they don't think they look enough like hardware, while I can easily interpret the touch displays. Meanwhile, I've never seen a snare drum in a rack with controls on it, so...

gullum

16 Sep 2019

@joeyluck I see you point and to me it in the long run doesn't matter how a RE looks like, because it's the sound and functionality that matter and I will spend very little time watching a re like this I do the programming of a beat then fine tune then collapse out of the way. The new version does add a lot of new functions

generalche

24 Sep 2019

Hi all,

I had all 3 A-list Drummers but the code in the email from Props only gives me 100 EUR off on the bundle, not the EUR 39 bundle to bundle as promised. Is there any way to contact someone to get that sorted out? I see the contact us link on reasonstudios.com is now broken...

Cheers,

stfual

26 Sep 2019

If you don't have receive marketing spam turned on you don't get coupon codes.
It would be nice to see some selectable granularity in the spam/marketing.
Things that save or cost me money I'm interested in.
Weekly job justification email - don't care.

$(username)

26 Sep 2019

Well, that's the deal with Reason Studios and partners: You have to accept spam to get access to upgrades.

Everybody else seems to think that this is a great deal so I don't think that will change anytime soon.

EnochLight

26 Sep 2019

Do you guys use any VST’s? I get literally dozens of spam marketing emails from VST devs and others far more than I get from Propellerhead/Reason Studios. I’d say their marketing techniques are no worse than anyone else’s in the industry.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

$(username)

26 Sep 2019

I have tons of VSTs but I don't get a single spam mail because I didn't opt in to receive spam mails.

If I want to buy an upgrade for one of those plugins then I go to the vendors web shop, add the upgrade to my cart, pay the bill and then I download and install the upgrade. Easy enough.

EnochLight

26 Sep 2019

$(username) wrote:
26 Sep 2019
I have tons of VSTs but I don't get a single spam mail because I didn't opt in to receive spam mails.

If I want to buy an upgrade for one of those plugins then I go to the vendors web shop, add the upgrade to my cart, pay the bill and then I download and install the upgrade. Easy enough.
If you're not on the mail list for these VST devs, then you are very likely missing a boatload of flash sales and other promos. That's the whole point of mail lists. But, I totally understand if you don't want the spam. It's a trade-off that's worth it for many.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

$(username)

26 Sep 2019

For me there is huge difference between customers getting notified of a flash sale and a newsletter being the only way for a customer to receive the permission to upgrade a product.

EnochLight

26 Sep 2019

$(username) wrote:
26 Sep 2019
For me there is huge difference between customers getting notified of a flash sale and a newsletter being the only way for a customer to receive the permission to upgrade a product.
So your issues is the format of the content? They both over email, so to me it makes no difference.

joeyluck

26 Sep 2019

$(username) wrote:
26 Sep 2019
No it is not the only way and there is no difference. This has been explained to you several times. If you opt out of sales emails—you opt out of sales emails. This is a form of sale, a developer selling something, and it involves the exchange of money for a product. And it doesn't exclude you from the deal and the deal doesn't expire. That too has been explained to you. If you in fact own an A-List drummer product, you just need to contact Reason Studios to get your personal coupon code. It's effortless and others here have done just that and had no issue. And it is much less effort than what you have put in here trying to make your case.

mooseharris

26 Sep 2019

joeyluck wrote:
26 Sep 2019
It's effortless
Well, nearly. It took a while to get around the lack of updated links on the new Reason site, but once you insert 'reasonstudios' into each url where it still says 'propellerheads' you can access support. I don't think now is the best time to be contacting support though, as I got ignored for several days, and had to prompt a few times to get any sort of response.

However, for the princely sum of £35.06 (!) I was able to upgrade my A-list bundle this afternoon, and I have to say the Virtual Drummers are so much better.

I liked the idea of the A-List Drummers, but was ultimately disappointed in the lack of flexibility of the product, the restrictions of the available sounds and lack of customisability of the kits. I ended up not using them as I could never get the generic sound of each A-List to fit into the tracks I was using them for. I went back to the Reason Drum Fill as my default.

Now that's been changed, and like Reason Electric Bass, not for the better. So after 10 minutes playing with Virtual Drummer Solid today I was impressed with what I was able to do.

Regarding the gripes about subscribing to newsletters, I don't subscribe to newsletters, mailing lists or anything like that, because I can't tolerate spam. Did I miss out on this deal because of that? No, because it's mentioned in the forums here, along with advice on how to get the deal. Have I missed out on deals in the past? Yes, but apparently despite thinking I missed the deal, I have the Reason Drum Sequencer anyway, or so I found out today. It seems I installed it over a year ago without realising.

Swings and roundabouts. It's down to the individual to balance unwanted spam against discount deals, and to live with the consequences of those choices. This was a deal, rather than a product upgrade. I still have my A-List Drummers, but their development life has ended. Do I now own a different yet similar product? yes I do. Did I pay full price? No I didn't. Do I feel ripped off, or that I missed out, or that I was conned ut of a product upgrade by not subscribing to a newsletter? No, I really don't.

Peter Gorges

27 Sep 2019

antic604 wrote:
05 Sep 2019
ujam-instruments wrote:
05 Sep 2019
The VST and RE versions are selling at the same price of $/€99 each or $/€199 for the bundle.
Can I have one more Q although I'm not sure you are allowed to answer that - your new devices don't sport the same "virtual hardware" look anymore like the "old" A-list stuff or even Propellerhead's own recent(ish) Reason Drum Kits or Reason Electric Bass. They're actually closer in style and aesthetic to Reason 11's new Quarter, Sweeper or Scenic devices.

Is this a change in Reason Studios' guidelines for GUIs?
No! It's a (well-spotted) coincidence! If you look at the entire UJAM range of instruments, that's our aesthetic across the board. Thanks for asking!

$(username)

27 Sep 2019

joeyluck wrote:
26 Sep 2019
$(username) wrote:
26 Sep 2019
No it is not the only way and there is no difference. This has been explained to you several times. If you opt out of sales emails—you opt out of sales emails. This is a form of sale, a developer selling something, and it involves the exchange of money for a product. And it doesn't exclude you from the deal and the deal doesn't expire. That too has been explained to you. If you in fact own an A-List drummer product, you just need to contact Reason Studios to get your personal coupon code. It's effortless and others here have done just that and had no issue. And it is much less effort than what you have put in here trying to make your case.
It was effortless to click and buy the Reason Suite update yesterday. So they got my money. A business that requires me to hunt down sales persons until at some point one of them is gracious enough to accept my money didn't.

At the end it's not my loss. I'd guess that I'll get the updates as part of a rig update at some point in the future anyway. In the meantime the old versions will do just fine. See, I'm actually saving money without having to accept spam mails. The only one who loses in this game is UJAM by not offering publicly available upgrade options but that's his decision so I'm fine with that.

stfual

28 Sep 2019

$(username) wrote:
26 Sep 2019
Well, that's the deal with Reason Studios and partners: You have to accept spam to get access to upgrades.

Can you point me to the clause in the contract that i have with Reason that says that ?
$(username) wrote:
26 Sep 2019
Everybody else seems to think that this is a great deal so I don't think that will change anytime soon.
Everybody else means who ?
The deal isn't in the shop .
When i click on the A-Link "support" in Reason it now goes nowhere. The press release says you'll get a crossgrade.
It doesn't say you'll get upgrade only if your're a hoop jumping fanboy.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/redi ... stDrummer3
https://www.ujam.com/inside/p=1546

Upgrades have been in the shop before - notification on the product page is easy.

joeyluck

30 Sep 2019

Just a heads up to everyone, the Virtual Drummers have been updated with fixes, including the sequencer bug.

geronimo

30 Sep 2019

Nice: what is unfortunate is to load the entire data for such small details that must be summarized in several lines of code.

diminished
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2019

The "Breakdowns" bug is still there :/
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

joeyluck

30 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
30 Sep 2019
Yeah they are aware of that one. I think they wanted to get this other fix submitted ASAP as it was unavoidable. And a bit of a wait probably because of the Reason 11 release. The other bug is a bit more rare and not encountered by most users with regular use, and it's avoidable. But sounds like they are looking into it.

diminished
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2019

joeyluck wrote:
30 Sep 2019
diminished wrote:
30 Sep 2019
Yeah they are aware of that one. I think they wanted to get this other fix submitted ASAP as it was unavoidable. And a bit of a wait probably because of the Reason 11 release. The other bug is a bit more rare and not encountered by most users with regular use, and it's avoidable. But sounds like they are looking into it.
Fingers crossed. And thanks for the heads-up!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Tweak

01 Oct 2019

Can anyone confirm a bug for me in Virtual Drummer Solid?

Here's the steps to reproduce the UI issue:
  • Open an instance of Virtual Drummer Solid and allow the default patch to load
  • Load the patch called "Hip Hop RnB - Funk Jazz Hop"
  • Press on the High Hat instrument button to select the high hats
  • Press the latch button to keep the instrument playing after you press a midi key
  • Press C3 to start the instrument, note the High Hat type is set to A
  • Cycle through the styles using the right arrow until you reach the style named "112 90s Indie Disco"
  • Note the high hat type is still set to A
  • Move the high hat type to B
  • Notice that the sound doesn't change
  • Now change the high hat type to A
  • Notice that the sound for A changes, and its not what it was previous when set to A
In summary the instrument doesn't correctly report the underlying sample it uses for single drum sample type on the UI. Seems this should be switching when the STYLE is changed, but it's not.

eusti

04 Oct 2019

Crap. Reason 10.4 and I have the issue of the first hit not triggering... Still... Upgraded after the recent update... :P

D.

joeyluck

04 Oct 2019

eusti wrote:
04 Oct 2019
Crap. Reason 10.4 and I have the issue of the first hit not triggering... Still... Upgraded after the recent update... :P

D.
Are you saying you have the bug after you updated the RE? I can confirm the fix in both 10.4 and 11 here.

eusti

05 Oct 2019

joeyluck wrote:
04 Oct 2019
eusti wrote:
04 Oct 2019

D.
Are you saying you have the bug after you updated the RE? I can confirm the fix in both 10.4 and 11 here.
Yes, I have the bug after the update. :P

D.
Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 06.17.20.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 06.17.20.png (315.95 KiB) Viewed 2740 times

joeyluck

05 Oct 2019

eusti wrote:
05 Oct 2019
joeyluck wrote:
04 Oct 2019

Yes, I have the bug after the update. :P

D.

Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 06.17.20.png
That's weird. I'm on macOS as well, High Sierra. Is the note quantized?

• Information