Climate Change [Solved!]

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
MarkTarlton

26 Sep 2019

EnochLight wrote:
26 Sep 2019
MarkTarlton wrote:
26 Sep 2019
an interesting read that adds to the discussion. It popped up yesterday in my news feed.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... 1028552494
The fact that this is coming from an investment bank is pretty telling. Strange that they can see the writing on the wall, yet politicians and science deniers keep their ears plugged and eyes closed while screaming nonsense at the top of their lungs.
Those were my exact thoughts too.

stratatonic

26 Sep 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
26 Sep 2019
EnochLight wrote:
26 Sep 2019

The fact that this is coming from an investment bank is pretty telling. Strange that they can see the writing on the wall, yet politicians and science deniers keep their ears plugged and eyes closed while screaming nonsense at the top of their lungs.
Those were my exact thoughts too.
The last paragraph:
"Despite the uncertainty around the timing and scale of the impact, it may be prudent for some cities to start investing in adaptation now," Goldman says. "Urban adaptation could drive one of the largest infrastructure build-outs in history. Given the scale of the task, urban adaptation will likely need to draw on innovative sources of financing."

And who better to help with the innovative sources of financing? Goldman to the rescue! There's money to be made in preparing for the apocalypse.
And a ton of jobs in one of the largest infrastructure build-outs in history...

EnochLight

26 Sep 2019

stratatonic wrote:
26 Sep 2019
And who better to help with the innovative sources of financing? Goldman to the rescue! There's money to be made in preparing for the apocalypse.
And a ton of jobs in one of the largest infrastructure build-outs in history...
True, but just because there's money to be made does not mean the problem isn't real.

Whatever happens, something always has to be paid by someone. In the US, most of the fossil fuel industry's beginnings can be traced to Rockefeller and Flagler until their monopoly was broken up in 1911, and the resulting breakup made Rockefeller the richest man in America at the time (ExxonMobil or Chevron arose from this).

There's massive investment possibilities in building green solutions. Elon Musk knows this, which is one of the reasons he started Tesla Motors.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

reggie1979

26 Sep 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
26 Sep 2019
an interesting read that adds to the discussion. It popped up yesterday in my news feed.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... 1028552494
It hates my ad blocker. But as mentioned, the source is suspicious, maybe someday I'll get to read it lol.

Sortitoutonsunday

02 Oct 2019

As someone working with sustainability I've stumbled upon a model that should be the dealbreaker for anyone in doubt.

There are two possible future situations:

1. Climate change was real
2. Climate change was just a hoax

And we have two options dealing with those situations:

A. To do something about it.
B. To not do something about it

This gives us four future scenarios:

1A. Climate change was real, but we did something about it. It took a toll, but by acting fast we could save civilization plus we got to see Reason 35 come out with the brand new Combinator 2.

1B. Climate change was real but we didn't do anything about it. It was the definitive end of humanity and maybe even life on Earth. We never got to see Reason 35 with updated graphics at all.

2A. Climate change wasn't real and we put lots of energy and resources to stop it but for no good.

2B. Climate change wasn't real and we didn't do anything. Yey! Reason 35 to your grandchildren (and yourself) for christmas.

Now, we cannot choose if it's real or not, but we can choose if to act or not. If not acting, the worst possible outcome would of course be to see the death of 7 billion people and the collapse of ecosystems (scenario 1B). Worst possible outcome by acting would be that we spent money on climate action instead of rack extensions (2A). Of those two choices it's obvious which is preferable. We can choose to avoid scenario 1B, anything is better than that. And the worst that could happen if we actually did something but for no good is just some lost money. I think the choice is easy if it's between badly spent money or the end of the world. Is there anyone who disagrees on that?
Reason fanboy since 6.5
:reason: :PUF_balance: :roll:

EnochLight

02 Oct 2019

*raises hand*

Human-caused climate change will NOT likely result in the extinction event of 7 billion humans and/or all life on earth. That’s the sort of unfounded fear-mongering some think the media likes to push, and the very thing a lot of the climate-change science deniers like to parrot as “proof” the science is fake.

That’s not saying a lot of species won’t go extinct because of it (they will), or many humans will die and things will be worse off for our grandchildren due to extreme weather cycles and ecosystem destruction. Just say’n...

On an aside, I expect the earth’s rotational precession of its axis to cause the re-greening of the African Sahara into grasslands before we see high dpi/4K support in Reason. :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

guitfnky

02 Oct 2019

I’ll go even further. it’s an utter impossibility for us to completely eradicate all life on earth due to climate change.

in the worst case scenario, the tools humanity has used to wreak havoc on the planet will go out of use when society breaks down. it won’t stop warming in the short term, but life will survive—the forests and wildlife we haven’t destroyed will outlive us, and adapt. life on this planet is resilient, even if individual species are not. I suspect even humans would survive, though with greatly reduced numbers.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Sortitoutonsunday

02 Oct 2019

EnochLight and guitfnky, you are absolutely correct and I don't believe that 7 billion people will die either. But it wasn't meant to be taken literally, it was just meant to make a point. The point being that taking action now is a more rational choice to take even if climate change wasn't a fact.
Reason fanboy since 6.5

EnochLight

02 Oct 2019

Sortitoutonsunday wrote:
02 Oct 2019
EnochLight and guitfnky, you are absolutely correct and I don't believe that 7 billion people will die either. But it wasn't meant to be taken literally, it was just meant to make a point. The point being that taking action now is a more rational choice to take even if climate change wasn't a fact.
Oh totally! Though I do still fear proper high dpi/4K support in Reason may occur after said events. :D :lol:

reggie1979

02 Oct 2019

Sortitoutonsunday wrote:
02 Oct 2019
You won't get far with them :lol:

Anyways, what does it matter what some random person on the internet thinks? Either get your facts straight (which nearly nobody has) or be part of the never-ending debate (which nearly nobody has any clue to...........)

EnochLight

02 Oct 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
02 Oct 2019
:roll:

Pot, meet kettle... :lol:
reggie1979 wrote:
02 Oct 2019
Anyways, what does it matter what some random person on the internet thinks? Either get your facts straight (which nearly nobody has) or be part of the never-ending debate (which nearly nobody has any clue to...........)
You should be standing in front of a mirror when you say this out loud. :lol: :lol: :lol:

reggie1979

02 Oct 2019

EnochLight wrote:
02 Oct 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
02 Oct 2019
:roll:

Pot, meet kettle... :lol:
reggie1979 wrote:
02 Oct 2019
You should be standing in front of a mirror when you say this out loud. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nope. You don't have a clue.

Anyways, back to the norm!

EnochLight

02 Oct 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
02 Oct 2019
Nope. You don't have a clue.

Anyways, back to the norm!
I’m sure Sortitoutonsunday can speak for themself. We were having a lovely conversation before you butted in to gaslight.

reggie1979

02 Oct 2019

N'm, I'll admit when I was wrong.

EnochLight

03 Oct 2019

I think we’ve had a break through! Do I feel a hug coming on?

demt

03 Oct 2019

plant more trees 1970 is plant billions more trees 2019 fruit trees if pos old fruit
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

EnochLight

03 Oct 2019

demt wrote:
03 Oct 2019
plant more trees 1970 is plant billions more trees 2019 fruit trees if pos old fruit
Admittedly, I’m not a fan of fruit trees. Grew up with apple and pear trees in my backyard, and I was always stuck with picking up fell (usually rotting) fruit before I had to cut the lawn. Their life span is also noticeably shorter than non-fruit trees. But they sure look pretty in the spring time. So many blooms!

Sortitoutonsunday

03 Oct 2019

EnochLight wrote:
03 Oct 2019
*Hugs EnochLight and then plants a forrest garden* :)
Reason fanboy since 6.5

reggie1979

03 Oct 2019

EnochLight wrote:
03 Oct 2019
I hope so.

reggie1979

03 Oct 2019

Seriously though guys, there are so many variables.

You can't go with that kinda population explosion and not expect consequences, you can't deny the whole solar system is getting warmer, and despite the one random dude, you can't say that "climate change" hasn't happened in the past.

Would be nice to understand facts w/o blaming people on the internet :(

demt

04 Oct 2019

Well erm hmmm a reforest dartmoor petition slogan whatever is due science the bronze age deforested it causing all those problems in the 1st place sorta 1st dartmoor then Europe is sutch an obvious shot isle spend a fortune advertising the idea
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

EnochLight

04 Oct 2019

Of course we can deny the “solar system is getting warmer” since there is ZERO scientific evidence to support your repeated statement that this is causing climate change or even happening at all, and you refuse to provide the proof for your statement. Saying it over and over again without citation of peer-reviewed proof is the very definition of fake news, Reggie.

I actually do agree increased population doesn’t help, but that’s only because more people require more energy. The main cause still remains our reliance on fossil fuels (as the peer-reviewed scientific research has shown time and time again). ;)

reggie1979

04 Oct 2019

The sun is getting bigger/hotter. Buy into it. You'll sleep better ;)

EnochLight

04 Oct 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
04 Oct 2019
You seem to have your timescales confused. The sun won’t go red giant for another 5 billion years. ;) Try again. :lol:

reggie1979

05 Oct 2019

EnochLight wrote:
04 Oct 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
04 Oct 2019
You seem to have your timescales confused. The sun won’t go red giant for another 5 billion years. ;) Try again. :lol:
You're ignorance is unparalleled. We don't have to go "red giant" in order for the sun to expand. Just another troll trying to have the last word :)

Don't take my word for it, look it up (since unsubstantiated facts seems to be your calling card)

• Information