Sampler vst recommendation

Discuss VST stuff here!
Barriott

14 Sep 2019

FiatLux wrote:
11 Sep 2019
Sounds like you are looking for something like Serato Sample.
Loads one sample into it and will automatically put it at the right tempo (like in Live),
and has really clean sounding time-stretching, so if you change tempo it will lock to new tempo.
Also can slice up samples like Dr. Rex.
I was hoping a clip launcher would be a new feature in 11, but when I saw that it wasn't gonna happen, I picked this up.
Has been pretty useful.

https://serato.com/sample
Hello. Thanks this seems to be the droids I'm. Looking for.

Thanks.

Kaydigi

14 Sep 2019

Kong definitely needs an update, too many runarounds to do basic chopping and pad routing.

reggie1979

16 Sep 2019

Kaydigi wrote:
14 Sep 2019
Kong definitely needs an update, too many runarounds to do basic chopping and pad routing.
My biggest disappointment for the new update.

Barriott

17 Sep 2019

Kaydigi wrote:
14 Sep 2019
+1

Oquasec

17 Sep 2019

The only alternatives I'd truly recommend for that are Cubase, Wavepad or Slicex.
Time stretching is gonna be time consuming no matter where you go.
Another method [If you are just trying to get things done quick]
is enable snap to transients and crop each region to a control point.

Recycle is not on this list because I feel like Cubase is exactly that thing
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

RobC

17 Sep 2019

Any self-sampling samplers? You know, tweak, then sample, tweak again, etc. repeat.

reggie1979

04 Oct 2019

BTW, serato sample is on sale

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/4113

soroc sosta

04 Oct 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
04 Oct 2019

Good Guggily Muggily!
Gotta Jump on that!
Thanks Reggie! :thumbs_up:

reggie1979

04 Oct 2019

CrunkNationEnt wrote:
04 Oct 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
04 Oct 2019

Good Guggily Muggily!
Gotta Jump on that!
Yeah, I bought it.

reggie1979

04 Oct 2019

I mean, 39 bucks is a steal. I was holding off because you can't drag from the Reason browser, but this is just too good of a price, I'll put up with the workaround.

soroc sosta

04 Oct 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
04 Oct 2019
I mean, 39 bucks is a steal. I was holding off because you can't drag from the Reason browser, but this is just too good of a price, I'll put up with the workaround.
It doesnt have its own browser, tho?

reggie1979

05 Oct 2019

CrunkNationEnt wrote:
04 Oct 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
04 Oct 2019
Yeah, but it doesn't play the samples. So you never know quite what you get.

soroc sosta

05 Oct 2019

Demo'ing now...amazingly simple and to the point. Only gripe no browser feature or file menu.
The features included in the serato sampler would have made sense to have in Recycle.
Oh well, i will be purchasing serato sampler at the sale price for sure :thumbs_up:

reggie1979

05 Oct 2019

Yeah, that is the only real drawback. You can drag drop from loopmasters though, but I only have the sample stuff (and a couple of packs that came for free with the SS purchase. )

soroc sosta

05 Oct 2019

Yo this thingy is a godsend, mane! 🤪🤯

Never been a instrument loop guy; but dammit, now I can play my full loops and chops within, like one shots!

Vocal, inst, synth loops haven't had this much play like ever...up until now... Very impressed and inspired👍🏿🙏🏿

riemac

06 Oct 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
05 Oct 2019
CrunkNationEnt wrote:
04 Oct 2019

We should all email Serato and ask them to fix drag and drop in Reason an implement sample preview in there own browser.

soroc sosta

06 Oct 2019

LOL! Dont know how well that request would work out ...
BUT, I've found in WIN7 you can select a loop and play it within the browser with the media player, before loading it into Serato sampler... :cool:
riemac wrote:
06 Oct 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
05 Oct 2019

We should all email Serato and ask them to fix drag and drop in Reason an implement sample preview in there own browser.

reggie1979

06 Oct 2019

I already have, back when I trialed it.

Goriila Texas

07 Oct 2019

I've heard good about Serato sample and I had virtual cash saved up so I got it for $12

CrunkNationEnt wrote:
04 Oct 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
04 Oct 2019

Good Guggily Muggily!
Gotta Jump on that!

soroc sosta

07 Oct 2019

Dang, you did real well, huh!?
I havent let my points stack like that...
I spend my lil points on each go round, lmao!
Goriila Texas wrote:
07 Oct 2019
I've heard good about Serato sample and I had virtual cash saved up so I got it for $12

CrunkNationEnt wrote:
04 Oct 2019

Good Guggily Muggily!
Gotta Jump on that!

Goriila Texas

07 Oct 2019

:lol:

CrunkNationEnt wrote:
07 Oct 2019
Dang, you did real well, huh!?
I havent let my points stack like that...
I spend my lil points on each go round, lmao!
Goriila Texas wrote:
07 Oct 2019

reggie1979

07 Oct 2019

I'm just glad I posted it and others are doing well with it, it's a fairly insanely good price if you are into such things.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2019

I ran some tests on Serato Sample. Because the Serato Time&Pitch full plugin is Mac only and crazy expensive ($800). So what does Serato T&P offer in Serato Sample?
Well first: It does NOT have a formant control or preservation (bummer - big bummer).

Second how does it compare: Reason's sequencer can time stretch as well, but not as convenient as doing it in a playable VST. But sound wise: SHORTENING - Reason and Serato T&P sound very VERY close. LENGTHENING - Reason takes on a growly sawtoothy character (nasty...), Serato sounds - well very natural, and the "spectral" sound won't come into play until you do crazy super stretching. :thumbs_up:

Since Serato Sample does not have formant control I have three ways of doing it:
Neptune
zPlane ElastiquePitch2
VocalSynth2
Not tested. Antares formant or Ircam Trax formant (though I compared Ircam Trax vs VocalSynth2 previously and did not hear any difference large enough on natural vocals to motivate buying Trax (I have VocalSynth2))

Adjusting the formant higher - they all sounded good and very similar. You just need to set zPlane's Voicing control in the right range, otherwise it sounds weird. I guess Neptune and VocalSynth2 does this automatically inside itself.
Adjusting the formant lower - VocalSynth2 did not do a good job and got glitchy. On untreated vocals it works very well though. With zPlane's Voicing control dialed in it sounded OK, but Neptune was the best. Interesting.

So somehow when I tested formants on untreated vocals I put zPlane and VocalSynth2 one step above Neptune. But with the Serato T&P stretched sound, for some reason Neptune just likes that input and it sounded like the best with faster results to dial in.
If you play a range of keys in Serato sample you would then have to CV control the formant so it changes based on midi key. You can do this in all three plugins but zPlane will need you to CV two parameters.

Yes, Neptune's auto-tune will leave you wanting more if you have used Waves or Antares, but the formant control is quite good actually and previously I tested it against Little Alterboy and they sounded the same but Soundtoys has occasional nasty glitches where Neptune did not. So, kudos the Reason for this formant control. So yeah, I skipped Little Alterboys even at $29 for this reason.

As for chopping: Not perfect. Does not get the key correct every time. The Release control is wonky and no visualization as to how it is applied. To play a chop like a drum machine you need to manually set every end marker, in addition to fixing most start markers.
The Random is cool, if you have a long sample (like a box of chocolate !) And setting one sample to keyboard mode is super nice. Another key feature is: adjusting start markers on a loaded sample. This is where Reason gets is SOOO wrong. To do that in Reason, you need to go back to the sequencer and change the markers, split at markers, make a new Rex, load it into DrOctRex/Kong. That is madness. So, Serato Sample, despite it flaws, does make chopping much easier, and the P&T algo is very good.

You can play a sound in Iris2 and get it stretched and it sounds good as well, but it cannot do time stretch. So again Serato Sample doing BOTH time&pitch over a keyboard, well nothing that I have tested works this fast and sounds this good. So, there you have it!
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

• Information