The Legend or VK-2 Viking

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
tobypearce

04 Oct 2019

This has encouraged me to dig into VK-2 again. I recall being very impressed when I first got it, and then probably favoured Legend due to ease of use, which is a poor excuse really!

Thanks for the thread.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

EdGrip

04 Oct 2019

It's definitely worth a read of the manual. (I feel that the way drag'n'drop mod routing is explained in the manual is a bit confusing - you just have to do it until your brain gets the hang of it.)

ShelLuser

04 Oct 2019

I know I'm late to the party but hey... My suggestion would be to get The Legend. For the simple reason that you already own Vk-1 and well, in my opinion those two can work decently well together. This gives you the best of both for now so that you can always consider upgrading to Vk-2 at a later time.

See, my reasoning with issues like these is to always go "wide" and not "forward". Meaning: I'm sure Vk-2 will have a bit more to offer than its predecessor but in the end it's more or less "more of the same" whereas The Legend will actually expand your sound options & general workflow with something new. I always like to go 'wide' (as I tend to call it) instead of overspecializing on stuff. Well, generally speaking :)
--- :reason:

dhruan

04 Oct 2019

I trialed Legend and VK-2 back in the day. Even with the freaking naff "horned helmet" logo VK-2 won because of the sound and options. Legend is a worthy contender though (might get it at some point) but yeah, that is just my 2¢ on this topic.
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

EdGrip

04 Oct 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
04 Oct 2019
I know I'm late to the party but hey... My suggestion would be to get The Legend. For the simple reason that you already own Vk-1 and well, in my opinion those two can work decently well together. This gives you the best of both for now so that you can always consider upgrading to Vk-2 at a later time.

See, my reasoning with issues like these is to always go "wide" and not "forward". Meaning: I'm sure Vk-2 will have a bit more to offer than its predecessor but in the end it's more or less "more of the same" whereas The Legend will actually expand your sound options & general workflow with something new. I always like to go 'wide' (as I tend to call it) instead of overspecializing on stuff. Well, generally speaking :)
This is why calling it VK-2 was not the best idea. People think it's related to VK-1. It's not, not really. It's definitely a closer relative of Legend than VK-1. That's why people compare VK-2 to Legend, but not to VK-1.

FLVZ

04 Oct 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
04 Oct 2019
Yeah think this is somewhat inaccurate. I'd actually say VK1 is much closer to Legend than VK2, it would be a sideways step to get Legend (i'm not trying to say they are at the same level here), you gain polyphony and yeah its comes with more features than VK1, but the things that sell Legend aren't the features or effects. On the other hand VK2 is not really as similar to those two, you can create VK1 patches and Legend patches with VK2, then you can takes things way further with the modulation, signal flow, envelope possibilities to name a few things...

dvdrtldg

04 Oct 2019

The Legend if you want to dial in quick & easy sounds

VK2 if you want to get deep & freaky with the programming

They both sound fantastic but imo VK2 is way more versatile, you can get super aggressive results from it that you can't with The Legend (well, I can't)

As for VK2's supposed CPU hoggery, I'm on a recent MB Pro (2.6 GHz) and don't have a problem with it at all. Currently running a session with 6 instances of VK2 (as well as 4 Vectos), lots of complex pads & automation and barely hitting one bar on the CPU meter

ShelLuser

06 Oct 2019

EdGrip wrote:
04 Oct 2019
This is why calling it VK-2 was not the best idea. People think it's related to VK-1. It's not, not really. It's definitely a closer relative of Legend than VK-1. That's why people compare VK-2 to Legend, but not to VK-1.
Aha... that I didn't know. I own both The Legend and the Vk-1 and as you said: I assumed the 2 would be comparable to one.
Flavolous wrote:
04 Oct 2019
On the other hand VK2 is not really as similar to those two, you can create VK1 patches and Legend patches with VK2, then you can takes things way further with the modulation, signal flow, envelope possibilities to name a few things...
That almost makes it worth considering to add Vk2 to my setup as well despite me already having Legend & Vk1.

Thank you both for the feedback!
--- :reason:

miscend

07 Oct 2019

I agree the initial release version of VK-1 was pretty rough sounding, I even said so on the old PUF. But he corrected it with stuff he learnt from making VK-2 on the paid 1.5 update.

Blamsoft devices have a certain sound signature to them. Synapse stuff has a certain character on the filters. Personally I have always liked Rich's work. I also love Antidote and Dune. Years ago I used Wasp and Orion alot.

• Information