I finally did it. Purchased my first hardware synth.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
jayhosking

04 Oct 2019

I really love the drift and spread on the Deepmind 12, as well as modulating the effects through its LFOs. This thread has me feeling that I need to get back to this synth!

aeox
Competition Winner

05 Oct 2019

jayhosking wrote:
04 Oct 2019
I really love the drift and spread on the Deepmind 12, as well as modulating the effects through its LFOs. This thread has me feeling that I need to get back to this synth!
I know it's a 12 voice polysynth.. but I've just been making kicks and 808s at the moment. It's just a lot of fun :D

The third party vst editor is also really good!

teddymcw

06 Oct 2019

Resonator wrote:
29 Sep 2019
I just ordered the Deepmind 12 on Friday from Guitar Center. The price just dropped to $629.95.
My own local and online Guitar Center references still have it at $698.99

Any chance you could help with the lower price reference?
I've been pretty close on purchasing one of these myself for a little and the extra price drop just might plunge me before long as well

Resonator

06 Oct 2019

teddymcw wrote:
06 Oct 2019
Resonator wrote:
29 Sep 2019
I just ordered the Deepmind 12 on Friday from Guitar Center. The price just dropped to $629.95.
My own local and online Guitar Center references still have it at $698.99

Any chance you could help with the lower price reference?
I've been pretty close on purchasing one of these myself for a little and the extra price drop just might plunge me before long as well
Unfortunately the price drop was temporary. Guitarcenter.com confirmed with me over the phone. The price drops for the Model D and the Neutron were also temporary.

teddymcw

07 Oct 2019

Resonator wrote:
06 Oct 2019

temporary
Thanks mate!

I actually stopped by today, told someone about the price drops in a friendly conversation and they said they’d be able to match that easy. Amazing what one can still do with words! :) Cheers

Resonator

07 Oct 2019

teddymcw wrote:
07 Oct 2019
Resonator wrote:
06 Oct 2019

temporary
Thanks mate!

I actually stopped by today, told someone about the price drops in a friendly conversation and they said they’d be able to match that easy. Amazing what one can still do with words! :) Cheers
Cool. Did you place your order?

teddymcw

07 Oct 2019

Resonator wrote:
07 Oct 2019

Cool. Did you place your order?
Likely later this week. Like Aeox, it’d be my first one as well. This thread was impeccably timed!
Yet if / when I do order I prob won’t talk about it until I’ve grasped what I’m doing with it ;)

Also got some other music I need to finish before deep dive

Boombastix
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2019

aeox wrote:
03 Oct 2019
Was going to try this out too, but can't buy it right now because they aren't accepting other payments beside paypal currently.

Wow, $7 bucks for the editor, that is a steal! :thumbs_up: I wanted one for my Nord Lead, but Mysteryislands wants $50 for it, so that calmed down my entusiasm a bit. :(
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

aeox
Competition Winner

25 Dec 2020

I said I'd give updates on my journey!

At times it can take a lot more patience working with a hardware synth, but I enjoy it immensely. Between that and working my day job so much I hadn't put as much time into making tracks with it. Rather, going for digital options for convenience/time. :D

Over the last 4 days I decided to try to make a simple beat with only sounds generated from the synth (except for a hi hat)

I just wanted to let you guys know that I've been using it and enjoying it a lot!

How have you been using yours?

aeox
Competition Winner

25 Dec 2020

aeox wrote:
05 Oct 2019
jayhosking wrote:
04 Oct 2019
I know it's a 12 voice polysynth.. but I've just been making kicks and 808s at the moment. It's just a lot of fun :D

The third party vst editor is also really good!
Do you still have one?

PhillipOrdonez

25 Dec 2020

aeox wrote:
25 Dec 2020
I said I'd give updates on my journey!

At times it can take a lot more patience working with a hardware synth, but I enjoy it immensely. Between that and working my day job so much I hadn't put as much time into making tracks with it. Rather, going for digital options for convenience/time. :D

Over the last 4 days I decided to try to make a simple beat with only sounds generated from the synth (except for a hi hat)

I just wanted to let you guys know that I've been using it and enjoying it a lot!

How have you been using yours?
Nice! Happy to your update and to hear you're having fun with it . I got the mf first and subsequently got a few more pieces of hardware and it's been a blast 😊

Still don't have a poly synth though, that's the only thing missing.

guitfnky

25 Dec 2020

I got it’s smaller brother, the 6, a few months ago and it’s an incredible synth. for like $100 more than a (digital) microKorg, it blows the mK out of the water in literally every single area, including sound quality (of course), and build quality/sturdiness (really surprised about that).
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

O1B

26 Dec 2020

Sounds like this Reddit Thread...:
" it blows the mK out of the water in literally every single area,"

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/c ... g_debate/
"Deepmind in my opinion destroys Microkorg in every single category."

Here's the "Opinion" right below that...:
"The Microkorg, like a Telecaster, is great for an overall synth (guitar) experience. If it isn’t your primary instrument or you’re just looking for fun, the microkorg has you. It has a lot of great sounds and is a modern classic for it’s creative structure. While it is cumbersome to program, it’s portability/small footprint lends itself well to any rig."

I share this opinion:
"My microkorg [WHITE] will never leave my collection."

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... nth-3.html

- explore the microKORG for sounds. figure out what you like and not like about them. I am NOT telling you to tweak the sounds because it's a pita, but extract what you can from it and move on
- cherish the vocoder, arpeggiator, and quick Gamma of presets. I've found I've rediscovered mine a bit, if nothing else, to widen my sounds palette. Great inspiration to use one of the VA sounding pretests and mimic it on an analogue synth to blow your mind

guitfnky wrote:
25 Dec 2020
I got it’s smaller brother, the 6, a few months ago and it’s an incredible synth. for like $100 more than a (digital) microKorg, it blows the mK out of the water in literally every single area, including sound quality (of course), and build quality/sturdiness (really surprised about that).

arqui

28 Dec 2020

My First Synth was Roland Jx1, I still have it, a key mechanism broke, I would have to repair it some day.
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

guitfnky

28 Dec 2020

O1B wrote:
26 Dec 2020
Sounds like this Reddit Thread...:
" it blows the mK out of the water in literally every single area,"

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/c ... g_debate/
"Deepmind in my opinion destroys Microkorg in every single category."

Here's the "Opinion" right below that...:
"The Microkorg, like a Telecaster, is great for an overall synth (guitar) experience. If it isn’t your primary instrument or you’re just looking for fun, the microkorg has you. It has a lot of great sounds and is a modern classic for it’s creative structure. While it is cumbersome to program, it’s portability/small footprint lends itself well to any rig."

I share this opinion:
"My microkorg [WHITE] will never leave my collection."

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... nth-3.html

- explore the microKORG for sounds. figure out what you like and not like about them. I am NOT telling you to tweak the sounds because it's a pita, but extract what you can from it and move on
- cherish the vocoder, arpeggiator, and quick Gamma of presets. I've found I've rediscovered mine a bit, if nothing else, to widen my sounds palette. Great inspiration to use one of the VA sounding pretests and mimic it on an analogue synth to blow your mind

guitfnky wrote:
25 Dec 2020
I still have my microKorg, and like it. it really does suck to program though, and unfortunately like 90% of the presets are absolutely terrible (for the type of stuff I like to do). we still use it in my band, for a couple of songs, and running it through some decent effects pedals softens the “digital edge” on some of the sounds. more than anything though, I was just surprised about the quality you can get on an analog synth for a pretty good price, compared to the mK. I worry about the mK breaking on me, because the build quality is very plasticky and cheap feeling. still, I do enjoy using it, and it’ll always keep a spot in my heart as my first ever synth.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

TheDragonborg

03 Jan 2021

Hah soon you will end up like me with 11 synths, 3 drum machines, and a rack sampler... (yeah I know the OP was from 2 years ago but they will get there... the G.A.S. is real).

• Information