I finally did it. Purchased my first hardware synth.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
aeox
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2019

I finally picked up the only analog synth that ever piqued my interest.

Behringer DeepMind 12! Got one on ebay for $520

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ynthesizer

Should be in my hands by next friday. Can't wait to start making some music with it :)

diminished
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2019

Nice. Got one too. I'm going to ask you questions about in two weeks then because it's so deep. Please be prepared. :P
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

O1B

29 Sep 2019

Nice...
So many Synths, this one disappeared into the mire.

aeox
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
29 Sep 2019
Nice. Got one too. I'm going to ask you questions about in two weeks then because it's so deep. Please be prepared. :P
We'll see once I get mine :)

aeox
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2019

O1B wrote:
29 Sep 2019
Nice...
So many Synths, this one disappeared into the mire.

Haha do you own this one as well? Are you saying you never use it?

DougalDarkly

29 Sep 2019

Deleted
Last edited by DougalDarkly on 09 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

29 Sep 2019

DougalDarkly wrote:
29 Sep 2019
aeox wrote:
29 Sep 2019
That looks like a real beast for a first hardware synth - the great thing about 'living in the future' is that I bet you already know how to program the thing! :D

I learned the basics of synthesis with this little beauty:

Ha, the first new synth I purchased was the Yamaha CS-15! Had a Synthacon (Stiener-Parker) before that, and played with MANY synths in local music stores before that. But you will alway remember your first "new" synth!!!
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez

29 Sep 2019

Congrats! I'll join you in a few months in the first hardware synth club! But it'll be a different synth. :D

aeox
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2019

DougalDarkly wrote:
29 Sep 2019
aeox wrote:
29 Sep 2019
That looks like a real beast for a first hardware synth - the great thing about 'living in the future' is that I bet you already know how to program the thing! :D

I'll have to learn the menu diving, etc. Been watching some videos but it doesn't look too complicated.

Awesome first synth! I really like the ES01 RE. It's fun and simple.

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
29 Sep 2019
Congrats! I'll join you in a few months in the first hardware synth club! But it'll be a different synth. :D
Thanks!

Which synth?

jayhosking

29 Sep 2019

Great choice! Lots of depth to it, and any menu diving is actually quite quick and intuitive. Great sounding filter on it. Enjoy!

PhillipOrdonez

29 Sep 2019

aeox wrote:
29 Sep 2019
DougalDarkly wrote:
29 Sep 2019

I'll have to learn the menu diving, etc. Been watching some videos but it doesn't look too complicated.

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
29 Sep 2019
Thanks!

Which synth?
A microfreak.

raymondh

29 Sep 2019

Congrats!!

So much fun combining hardware synths with a DAW. With an analog synth, create multiple layers re-recording the same patch several times and you'll get a massive sound! (like they did with the Jupiter 8 chords in MJ's Thriller)

Have fun! :)

Resonator

29 Sep 2019

Congrats on your first hardware synth. I just ordered the Deepmind 12 on Friday from Guitar Center. The price just dropped to $629.95. So I didn’t hesitate with a deal like that. I don’t think I’m gonna care much for the Odyssey and the K-2 after that. Both of those orders got back ordered twice for the K-2 and 3 times for the Odyssey. So I’m better off letting them automatically cancel. The Deepmind is gonna keep me busy for a while anyway and I’d rather have 12 note polyphony over another mono and a duo any day of the week.

kinkujin

30 Sep 2019

AEOX - congrats! Have a blast!!

teddymcw

30 Sep 2019

Interesting and congrats! Please do keep us updated on your journey into the Depths of the Mind. Happy hardwaring!

rgdaniel

30 Sep 2019

As a drummer, I did not buy it, but the first synth I spent a lot of time with was the Minimoog, around 1972 I think. Friend of mine bought one, and we were up quite late for a while, figuring it out. Sitting on his Hammond, it had that whole Emerson vibe going on...

Boombastix
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2019

That's great. When you get tired of being in the box, you swing around on your chair and that beauty will send new inspirations!
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

aeox
Competition Winner

02 Oct 2019

jayhosking wrote:
29 Sep 2019
Great choice! Lots of depth to it, and any menu diving is actually quite quick and intuitive. Great sounding filter on it. Enjoy!
I was hearing a lot about how the menu diving was putting people off from buying it, because there isn't knob per parameter. But I think that opens it up to have a lot more depth then your average synth.
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
29 Sep 2019
aeox wrote:
29 Sep 2019

Thanks!

Which synth?
A microfreak.
The microfreak seems pretty cool, sounds good from the demos I heard.
raymondh wrote:
29 Sep 2019
Congrats!!

So much fun combining hardware synths with a DAW. With an analog synth, create multiple layers re-recording the same patch several times and you'll get a massive sound! (like they did with the Jupiter 8 chords in MJ's Thriller)

Have fun! :)
Thanks, it will be good times :P
Resonator wrote:
29 Sep 2019
Congrats on your first hardware synth. I just ordered the Deepmind 12 on Friday from Guitar Center. The price just dropped to $629.95. So I didn’t hesitate with a deal like that. I don’t think I’m gonna care much for the Odyssey and the K-2 after that. Both of those orders got back ordered twice for the K-2 and 3 times for the Odyssey. So I’m better off letting them automatically cancel. The Deepmind is gonna keep me busy for a while anyway and I’d rather have 12 note polyphony over another mono and a duo any day of the week.
Let me know how you're liking it when you get it :thumbs_up:
kinkujin wrote:
30 Sep 2019
AEOX - congrats! Have a blast!!
teddymcw wrote:
30 Sep 2019
Interesting and congrats! Please do keep us updated on your journey into the Depths of the Mind. Happy hardwaring!
rgdaniel wrote:
30 Sep 2019
As a drummer, I did not buy it, but the first synth I spent a lot of time with was the Minimoog, around 1972 I think. Friend of mine bought one, and we were up quite late for a while, figuring it out. Sitting on his Hammond, it had that whole Emerson vibe going on...
Boombastix wrote:
30 Sep 2019
That's great. When you get tired of being in the box, you swing around on your chair and that beauty will send new inspirations!
Thanks guys! I'll keep you all updated on my journey :D

O1B

02 Oct 2019

I don't own it, but I respect Behringer.

Have a Blast..!!

There's no Going back now, Aeox.... you'll see.....

Godspeed.
aeox wrote:
29 Sep 2019

demt

02 Oct 2019

well done!!! dont forget to buy a sequencer as well as its very hands on compared to reasons and you carnt forget where you were or accidently delete the tune you are working on + you are not spoilt for choice yes you are forced to learn all about that won instrument instead of jumping from piece of kit to piece of kit(orchid theory)
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Andy
Competition Winner

02 Oct 2019

Congrats. I have been eying the desktop version for a while now but I want to get the DSI Prophet 12 module first before they stop selling them, then the Lyra 8. Too much awesome hardware out and too little money. 😊

aeox
Competition Winner

03 Oct 2019

O1B wrote:
02 Oct 2019
I don't own it, but I respect Behringer.

Have a Blast..!!

There's no Going back now, Aeox.... you'll see.....

Godspeed.
aeox wrote:
29 Sep 2019

:thumbs_up:
demt wrote:
02 Oct 2019
well done!!! dont forget to buy a sequencer as well as its very hands on compared to reasons and you carnt forget where you were or accidently delete the tune you are working on + you are not spoilt for choice yes you are forced to learn all about that won instrument instead of jumping from piece of kit to piece of kit(orchid theory)
For now I'll just be using Reasons sequencer but maybe I'll see something that intrigues me.
Andy wrote:
02 Oct 2019
Congrats. I have been eying the desktop version for a while now but I want to get the DSI Prophet 12 module first before they stop selling them, then the Lyra 8. Too much awesome hardware out and too little money. 😊
Thanks. You're right.. so much good stuff but so little money :D That's why I chose the synth I chose :P

It's actually arriving today, on my day off from work! Woooo!

aeox
Competition Winner

03 Oct 2019

Was going to try this out too, but can't buy it right now because they aren't accepting other payments beside paypal currently.

aeox
Competition Winner

04 Oct 2019

It sounds amazing.

I'm having a great time learning the synth and making patches.

ShelLuser

04 Oct 2019

Awesomeness, thanks for sharing!

Even though I'm a pretty convinced die-hard digital synth lover (read: DAW's and such) I always enjoy reading up about hardware. And as usual for this forum there are some interesting posts in this thread too :)

Hope you're going to have fun with this one!
--- :reason:

• Information