Let's talk Kompulsion. Are you using it? How?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
kinkujin

03 Oct 2019

Hi all. I'm seriously thinking of getting the Kompulsion RE. Seems like it would work great to sort of break me out of my groove of 1)lay down drum track, 2)lay down bass track, 3)etc. sort of methodology.

How are you all using it? Still loving it after getting it? $69 is reasonable and fair but alot of dosh for me. Would love to see/hear this RE in action. Feel free to link to stuff I may have missed along the way. Thanks!

IFR

03 Oct 2019

Have you tried the demo?

kinkujin

03 Oct 2019

Oh duh. Forgot that. Ok ya'll nothing to see here-back to work.

aeox
Competition Winner

03 Oct 2019

kinkujin wrote:
03 Oct 2019
You could still get others opinions.

I haven't trialed it yet either :P

Boombastix
Competition Winner

03 Oct 2019

My opinion: Not good for drums because you cannot slide the timing of drums. So, don't expect to make a "groove". Though I have made a few suggestions to the developer about this, so IF it gets implemented then I think Kompulsion will be excellent for drums. But right now, nah...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

IFR

03 Oct 2019

aeox wrote:
03 Oct 2019
kinkujin wrote:
03 Oct 2019
You could still get others opinions.

I haven't trialed it yet either :P

I generally stay away from opinions here as i notice most tend to sway to the negatives without highlighting the positives. Best bet would be to give it a trial and see if it fits with what your workflow is, then ask if you have any technical questions.
But i do enjoy it as i like pattern based sequencing.

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

03 Oct 2019

Kompulsion is the most powerful device in Reason IMO. I use it for literally every instrument in my compositions, including drums. The potential of combining probability, random-walk mode, and mixing the values of one sequence with the values of another is unfathomably deep. If you are at all interested in generative or procedural music it is indispensable.

Regarding the sliding of notes, I don’t see how it would be possible to slide a note forwards without delaying everything else in the song relative to it.

However, one minor gripe I do have is that sliding notes backwards also disturbs the length parameter; a full length setting in a cell results in a tied note to the next cell, as long as the slide for that cell remains at zero. Drawing any value for slide causes the tied notes to break apart unfortunately.

I also wish there were global controls for all the settings that could be automated or controlled via Combinator. That would raise this thing to new heights.

kinkujin

03 Oct 2019

Thanks for all of your thoughts. I'm going to need to demo this one. I'm into generative music so this will likely fit nicely into my very small bag of tricks.

moneykube

03 Oct 2019

had a brief I want this moment last night... need to trial it
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

MannequinRaces

03 Oct 2019

I need to spend more time with it but it’s a must have Player device. Trial it, read the menu, and have fun.

moneykube

04 Oct 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
03 Oct 2019
I need to spend more time with it but it’s a must have Player device. Trial it, read the menu, and have fun.
will do
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

seqoi

04 Oct 2019

+1 one of the best device i ever added.

Very creative.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

04 Oct 2019

Timmy Crowne wrote:
03 Oct 2019
Regarding the sliding of notes, I don’t see how it would be possible to slide a note forwards without delaying everything else in the song relative to it.
The Reason Drum Sequencer does it by skipping the first not IF you have a note on the 1 AND slide it back. But that is kind of an anomaly anyhow. Alternatively you could also program it to just keep the note on the 1 and ignore negative slide for that position, or simply slide back to 1 but not further. Should be a simple (IF x < 1.1.1.0 then x = 1.1.1.0 else ...) type check.
Kompulsion is very useful for Arp and Seq, but I do not use it for drums. But I will when/if we get slide function :P
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Vil
RE Developer

04 Oct 2019

Kompulsion is a great arp for ChordLine. I love Kompulsion! :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Oct 2019

Vil wrote:
04 Oct 2019
Kompulsion is a great arp for ChordLine. I love Kompulsion! :)
I love Chordline.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

kinkujin

04 Oct 2019

Okay, so I ended up doing the rent-to-own thing with this after playing with it for about 15 minutes. I'm so very excited to dig into this one and with the weekend ahead!

• Information