Can Rack Extensions control hardware?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
tallguy

03 Oct 2019

I know a little bit about programming and often wondered if dipping my toes into rack extensions would be worth it. As an owner of a Juno-106, it would be amazing to have an Juno Editor as a rack extension. But I have the sneaky suspicion this is outside the scope of what Rack Extensions can do. Am I correct in assuming this?

demt

03 Oct 2019

any thing you plug into external midi instrument will work in a ltd way
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

tallguy

03 Oct 2019

I am specifically thinking of archiving and automating sound design parameters. There are VSTs that do this, but can Rack Extensions do this?

SoundObjects

03 Oct 2019

You can not run a specific midi editor/library for an external synth as an RE.
But you can control external synths via normal midi and the 128 ContolChange messages from RE.
No sysex support.
The Universe Is Vibrating

tallguy

03 Oct 2019

SoundObjects wrote:
03 Oct 2019
You can not run a specific midi editor/library for an external synth as an RE.
But you can control external synths via normal midi and the 128 ContolChange messages from RE.
No sysex support.
Bummer, I wonder if they'll ever implement sysex support. It would be amazing.

electrofux

03 Oct 2019

They can, if you write a special Remote Codec. Haven't tried but even Sysex should work. It won't be very timing stable though.
For example, you could take a Newtron 16 from Hamu as a control surface, lock a Remote Codec you have written to send Midi to a port you setup in the preferences to it and then it sends that Midi.

You need to apply to the Remote SDK and have to dig a bit deeper as it is a pretty special way to use it.

tallguy

03 Oct 2019

electrofux wrote:
03 Oct 2019
They can, if you write a special Remote Codec. Haven't tried but even Sysex should work. It won't be very timing stable though.
For example, you could take a Newtron 16 from Hamu as a control surface, lock a Remote Codec you have written to send Midi to a port you setup in the preferences to it and then it sends that Midi.

You need to apply to the Remote SDK and have to dig a bit deeper as it is a pretty special way to use it.
OK, all that just went straight over my head. :shock: I'll translate that as "A really experienced programmer could make it work somewhat". I guess there's a reason there aren't any hardware controller Rack Extension in the shop.

electrofux

05 Oct 2019

tallguy wrote:
03 Oct 2019
electrofux wrote:
03 Oct 2019

OK, all that just went straight over my head. :shock: I'll translate that as "A really experienced programmer could make it work somewhat". I guess there's a reason there aren't any hardware controller Rack Extension in the shop.
Pretty much that. Though you dont have to be THAT much of an experienced programmer as lua is "just" a scripting language. You could even start by fiddling around with a standard codec where you can see the input and output Midi.

tallguy

05 Oct 2019

electrofux wrote:
05 Oct 2019
Pretty much that. Though you dont have to be THAT much of an experienced programmer as lua is "just" a scripting language. You could even start by fiddling around with a standard codec where you can see the input and output Midi.
OK, but as I'm really wondering about a small, easy project to dip my toes in, I'll hold off on trying to write a hardware controller rack extension for now.

electrofux

05 Oct 2019

The Remote soultion would be kindof a workaround anyways and it would only work in Reason standalone.

• Information